Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LARBEL1219
Premium
join:2003-03-06
Naperville, IL

What's the differences between DSL ISP and a Cable ISP

I live in the Chicago area and AT&T UVerse for Internet has an offer $46/mos for 18m/3m and my current Wide Open West ISP is 15M/2M for $69/mos. I've been happy for many years w/ W.O.W. ISP speed and service, but this $avings of AT&T ISP is a real eye catcher. What's the pro's and con's between the 2 that I should consider when making my decision.

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
Larbel,

I have had both, DSL is usually a best effort. THings that effect speed are cooper line condition, distance from the vrad (uverse).

Uverse uses VDSL and last i know u got a proxied DNS. So you usually have some higher latency, also you have to use the 2wire gateway for the Uverse NO IF ANDS OR BUTS!

I was not a fan, i would find out in your neighborhood who else has it, as all the providers are dropping cooper like there is no tomorrow.
Uverse is fiber to the vrad and cooper to your house in most cases.
Also things lke squirrels chewing on wires, or older cooper you may have a issue. I would check out uverse forum here @ DSL reports for more info.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LARBEL1219
said by LARBEL1219:

I live in the Chicago area and AT&T UVerse for Internet has an offer $46/mos for 18m/3m and my current Wide Open West ISP is 15M/2M for $69/mos.

Where do you get that WOW pricing? Their site shows $50 for the 15/2 plan. Or do you have tv added to that?

Jdjdjdj

@wideopenwest.com
reply to LARBEL1219
That uverse is promo pricing and will get jacked up and you will get the run around if you try to cancel or get a new discount.

Next this is wow specific not cable, but wow has no bandwidth limitations. Uverse has a cap.

Dsl can be less reliable if your on a questionable line. If your on a new line and have great signal it should be fine. But it's still harder to get an att tech out than wow should something go wrong.

With Dsl you get slightly lower latency, but I hear uverse does something not standard so theirs is higher than Dsl should be, but still a little lower than cable. Cable should get you at or near your max speed more consistently in theory, unless the isp oversold in the area.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to LARBEL1219
said by LARBEL1219:

I live in the Chicago area and AT&T UVerse for Internet has an offer $46/mos for 18m/3m and my current Wide Open West ISP is 15M/2M for $69/mos. I've been happy for many years w/ W.O.W. ISP speed and service, but this $avings of AT&T ISP is a real eye catcher. What's the pro's and con's between the 2 that I should consider when making my decision.

I can't find a matching $46 package at the AT&T site. They seem to follow Cable pricing practice, which is treat actual prices like State Secrets. Maybe it is the old carny practice of "Keep the Rubes guessing".

Are you bundling TV and Internet?

If Internet only (U-verse HSI, IPDSL), you will get, depending on where the DSLAM is located, ADSL2+ (usually out of a CO), or VDSL (usually out of an RT). The backend will be a PTM network; and authentication will be 802.1x, requiring an AT&T-issue certificate in the modem (comes with the modem; can't be legitimately acquired from any other source), which will be salted with the modem serial number to create a key. So you will have to use an AT&T-issue modem. Generic ADSL2+ and VDSL modems will not work.

If a U-verse TV bundle, you will get VDSL. You will need an AT&T-issue gateway with the standard AT&T DNS severs hard coded. You can't change the DNS servers on the gateway, but I am pretty sure they aren't proxied.

Because of issues with IPTV data integrity, VDSL is interleaved, and will not be set to Fastpath under any circumstance, so latency will run at least 25 ms.

If IPDSL (U-verse HSI) is delivered via ADSL2+, that can be set to Fastpath, with the corresponding low latency.

While residential DSL is a "best effort" service, so is residential cable. AT&T generally will bust their butt to get your modem to synch at the required rate for the tier you are on.

U-verse has a stated 250 GB data cap, though I don't know if they are enforcing the $10 per GB overage, as they reportedly are doing with the legacy ADSL (non-U-verse) 150 GB cap.

As with most providers offering tiers and bundles, AT&T will offer promotional prices which will increase to standard prices at the end of the promotional period. For this reason, plus that my ISP has no promotions, I prefer to find the standard prices for comparison. Alas, the companies providing pay TV make it hard to find the actual price; probably because they know people will balk at paying the regular fees. Hook them on the promotion, than hike the price when they've become ... it's the same tactic drug dealers use!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum