dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
HKPolice
join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

HKPolice

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

It's not just a POI congestion issue, it's either a connection issue between TSI & the caching servers or the servers themselves are overloaded. Some caching servers are ok even during peak hours, but MOST are not.

720p videos are less likely to get buffered obviously, but this affects all users including DSL, most people just don't notice it because they don't watch videos in HD since the default quality is still 480p.

I've lived through POI & node congestion issues before around mid 2011, but I had no choice because Rogers' prices & low caps made it unusable to me. Situation has changed now because there are aggregated POI ISPs out there offering higher speeds for about the same price as TSI. I've already tolerated this issue for months and obviously TSI isn't able to fix it, time to move.

Here try streaming this video right now @ 1080p:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· sTctEaGI

I'm getting 200-300KB/s which would probably take an hour to buffer a 34min video.
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I've tried several times with the same result each time... It works beautifully like a charm.

My up speed is a little low compared to normal, but speed wise I seem to be fine other than that as well.

Perhaps someone at TSI may have an explanation for why this is? From the look of this thread, both cable and DSL users alike are having this issue, but I am unable to replicate this problem no matter how hard I try.
NorthYorkEd
join:2013-02-13
North York, ON

NorthYorkEd

Things were much better today. Even on wireless devices there was no problem streaming YouTube or other sites.

Hope it stays this way!
Expand your moderator at work
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak to HKPolice

to HKPolice

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

said by HKPolice:

(youtube clip)
getting 200-300KB/s which would probably take an hour to buffer a 34min video.

still doesn't play for me at 1080. It will play at 720 but just barely keeps up with player atm.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by abcjak:

said by HKPolice:

(youtube clip)
getting 200-300KB/s which would probably take an hour to buffer a 34min video.

still doesn't play for me at 1080. It will play at 720 but just barely keeps up with player atm.

on my 6mb dsl it takes the full bandwidth(+600kb) playing at 1080p, i little laggy/pausing , its barely keeping up, im on coloseum dsl btw
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

Based on the patterns... I'm kinda wondering if the issue is somehow network congestion related because the issue seems to hit the more populated metropolitan areas, but not the small peanut sized (by comparison) ones.

Just a thought.

trueanimus
@sbcglobal.net

trueanimus

Anon

after checking several sources and my ps3, i have come to the conclusion that is a problem on youtubes end or a line leading to them. ican watch netflix and hulu fine but the youtube app hangs every few seconds. ps3 youtube is run off a different hub than pc although both are seeing lag ,ps3 getting the worst due the new requirements of the new player code introduced a few weeks ago to close a security hole in flash and massive outages in the att network. all we can do is ope they fix it soon.
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak

said by abcjak:

video did not play for me at 1080p for a few days after my kast post.. I tried again and it does play now. I have noticed a significant decrease in youtube lags the last few days.. something has changed for me considering it was buffer/lagging since the switch to TSI back in october.