Search similar:

uniqs

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger

Premium Member

[NFL] Tebow: No future. The lastest info.

No NFL Team Wants Tebow

Here from “Bleacher Report is an in depth analysis article of the tale of Tebow from college to his current status. It explains his positives and negatives with the bottom line being no NFL Team has an interest in Tebow as an NFL QB.

An interesting observation is how those that are rabid fans of Tebow have with their sincere support hurt his image among the players and owners within the league along with diminishing his chance for a pro future.

Some highlights of the article:
quote:
Despite a horrendous throwing motion, an inability to make the most elementary of reads (including the option), overrated athleticism and nightmarish footwork, Tebow earned the esteemed title of "former first-round pick" when all was said and done.

And that's because of nothing more than his off-the-charts intangibles.

As it turned out, the 2012 Jets were the most anticlimatic disaster in the NFL.

As many predicted, Sanchez failed to improve, the Jets missed the playoffs and Tebow's presence became a distraction. The idea that a high-character player like Tebow could keep the Jets together only backfired. The team's grand plans for an unstoppable Wildcat package were grounded, as Rex Ryan and his coaching staff vastly overrated Tebow's abilities as both a runner and a thrower.

During the season, a Daily News report listed mostly anonymous Jets players and officials who took unprovoked shots at Tebow, calling him "terrible." Tebow took the comments in stride, but it became clear that his popularity was not appreciated on a losing team.
»bleacherreport.com/artic ··· n-us-bin

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

Last year the only 2 teams who wanted him were the Jaguars and the Jets. The Jets now don't want him and the Jags owner said that he doesn't either.

It's hard to imagine the guy's NFL career being over so soon but no NFL team is going to want him as a starting QB, and having him as even a backup is a huge problem --- the team he plays for has to use a different offense for him. No team's going to install another offensive system for a backup QB.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to Blogger

to Blogger
What Tebow does is sell tickets. He'll be a career backup for that reason alone.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman to Blogger

to Blogger
said by Blogger:

No NFL Team Wants Tebow

Actually it would be "No NFL Team Wants Tebow As A Starter". Plenty of teams would take him for a backup, ticket salesman, or PR magnet. If nothing else ESPN will hire him as an analyst in a heartbeat. He's not leaving the game anytime in the foreseeable future given his popularity.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
I'd say he's an improvement over Blaine Gabbert.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
said by Bleacher Report :

The team's grand plans for an unstoppable Wildcat package were grounded, as Rex Ryan and his coaching staff vastly overrated Tebow's abilities as both a runner and a thrower.

How would they know? When did they 'rate' him? They never put him in the game.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

the team he plays for has to use a different offense for him. No team's going to install another offensive system for a backup QB.

Tebow would fit in with the pistol offense, which is increasingly being run in the NFL now. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up getting a shot somewhere before he retires.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

No, he wouldn't fir with the pistol offense because his passing is quite bad.

You're probably right though -- it's hard to picture him being out of the game. If no one wants to sign him I'd guess ESPN and the NFL Network will bid a lot of money for him.
fatness

fatness to AB57

to AB57
said by AB57:

The team's grand plans for an unstoppable Wildcat package were grounded, as Rex Ryan and his coaching staff vastly overrated Tebow's abilities as both a runner and a thrower.

They 'rated' him in training camp and practices. And he wasn't nearly as good as they (wrongly) thought he would be when they traded for him.
fatness

fatness to I AM

to I AM
said by I AM:

I'd say he's an improvement over Blaine Gabbert.

Jags say that Blaine Gabbert would be the best QB in 2013 draft class, and they might be right

The Jaguars don't think so. They already have passed on Tebow this year after wanting him last year.

Jaguars no longer want Tebow
quote:
But new general manager David Caldwell nixed that idea at his introductory news conference.

''I can't imagine a scenario in which he'll be a Jacksonville Jaguar - even if he's released,'' Caldwell said.

And Caldwell won't get any pushback from his new owner.

Shad Khan, who made a run at Tebow last year, said it was Caldwell's call.

''It's not my decision,'' Khan said. ''I want to do whatever to help this team win. Who the players are is really the general manager's and coaches' - it's a football-side operation decision. It's really not my decision.''

What has changed for Khan in the 10 months since he wanted Tebow?

''I'm telling them to take a look at Tebow and they're saying, `We're going to go in a different direction,''' Khan said. ''That's the difference.''

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

1 recommendation

Rook008 to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
I hope he gets to play somewhere in the NFL.
He's not a great (or even very good) QB or anything, but after being screwed by the Jets, I think he should get a shot at playing.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman

said by Rook008:

He's not a great (or even very good) QB or anything, but after being screwed by the Jets, I think he should get a shot at playing.

He doesn't deserve any sympathy for sucking. The Jets gave him what he deserved and nothing more. If he could play the Jets would have used him. The Jets bare no responsibility for exposing him.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

said by AB57:

They 'rated' him in training camp and practices. And he wasn't nearly as good as they (wrongly) thought he would be when they traded for him.

The Jets hadn't seen him play for Denver the previous year? Nobody had looked at any film from those games and evaluated him? They knew exactly what they were getting.

Tebow does what Tebow does. I can't believe his practices went much differently with the Jets than they did with Denver. Everybody knows he's a shit passer-- that's a given. I'll bet they gave him about as many practice snaps as they did game snaps-- very, very few.

It's not that I'm some big Tebow fan, I'm definitely not. I just don't buy for even a second the Jets' spin on what the whole Tebow issue was while on their team.
Tebow is Tebow. The fault for the hash that was his tenure in New York should be laid purely at the doorstep of Jets management and coaching, nowhere else.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

said by Rook008:

He doesn't deserve any sympathy for sucking. The Jets gave him what he deserved and nothing more. If he could play the Jets would have used him. The Jets bare no responsibility for exposing him.

Not sure what they exposed. They didn't get him on the field enough to prove or disprove anything.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by I AM:

said by Draiman:

said by Rook008:

Not sure what they exposed. They didn't get him on the field enough to prove or disprove anything.

Preseason is a often the only time for them to show their stuff. If they can't impress the coaches they sit for the season or get cut. You have to EARN field time in the NFL. That starts with preseason field time.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

I don't remember Brady, Manning, Brees having to show anything in Preseason. (I'm not saying Tebow is anyone of those or EVEN close)

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

Blogger to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
The Jets got him because they wanted to build a powerful Wildcat or option type of offense around him. A reasonable option to consider and then with some added incentive given Sanchez's struggles and inconsistency.

They had watched Tebow play in Denver. They knew he was a terrible passer. As accurately mentioned many times previously everyone knew that and everyone knew that just his basic mechanical physical throwing motion was non adequate to be an effective passer. It was believed that some coaching on his throwing mechanics and motion combined with practice could improve that significantly. However, despite dedicated efforts in scrimmages and practice with a dedicated commitment to the Wildcat in that the Jets ran it in scrimmages and practice to develop it and improve both it and Tebow it was a disaster.

Tebow failed to improve his woeful painfully poor throwing ability. With the repeated practices and scrimmages it became clear that Tebow was also not as good of a runner* as believed or evaluated from his limited exposure in Denver. A failure to perform adequately or live up to evaluations happens regularly with players that are drafted. A great deal of them in fact including some of the highest rated or considered elite players. We see it every year. Many a first round pick as been a giant bust. So it is not uncommon for the best of professional evaluators to make bad or incorrect decisions regarding the talents of players.

Tebow was so bad that his teammates, coaches, and other management personnel complained and moaned about it. Have Tebow's supporters not paid attention to this? On the team Tebow became a divider and caused dissension with his poor play and lack of ability. Again, this was widely reported. You can't have that. It matter not WHY he was it matters only that he was and is. In that context it matter not what a fine person and competitor Tebow is...and he is.

The Wildcat and Tebow performance was so bad that eventually the Jets semi-ditched it. They ran it just enough to keep people familiar with in the event it needed to be used.

*Both I and others including everyone in the NFL have many times spoken of the throwing ability of Tebow. But I also want to mention that watching him at Denver initially I was very surprised by his overall mediocre running ability. I was led to believe by the media he was an excellent runner. He was a big powerful man that was agile for his size but had very average speed for a runner and he had no moves. He had power. A combination not exactly that is going to frighten any defense in the NFL.

Look at the speed and moves of Kaepernick, Wilson, and RG III, three other players that run an option offense. They are light years ahead of Tebow. They can outrun the secondary, especially Kaepernick and RG III, (well before his knee injury anyway), and they can pass at a high level. Tebow can do neither. Not even close.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Blogger:

Look at the speed and moves of Kaepernick, Wilson, and RG III, three other players that run an option offense. They are light years ahead of Tebow. They can outrun the secondary, especially Kaepernick and RG III, (well before his knee injury anyway), and they can pass at a high level. Tebow can do neither. Not even close.

Tebow can do one thing better then most other QB's though. Sell tickets! Christians will line up in droves to support this guy. They don't care if he can play or not just the fact he's a naturally charismatic Christian.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
Everyone wants to comment on Tebow's unorthodox throwing motion but remember what the guy accomplished in college:

Two national championships
First sophomore ever to win the Heisman, came in third in the voting the next season.
Holds 5 NCAA, 14 SEC, and 28 University of Florida statistical records
He was the SEC's all-time leader in career passing efficiency (170.8, second in NCAA history), completion percentage (67.1%), passing touchdown to interception ratio (5.5 to 1), rushing yards by a quarterback (2947), rushing touchdowns (any position) (57, beating Herschel Walker's record), and total touchdowns responsible for (145).
He is third in NCAA history in yards per passing attempt (9.33)

There were questions about his throwing motion and QB ability in college as well, but he seemed to overcome pretty well. He then came to the NFL and took a lousy team to the playoffs. He won that playoff game with a brilliant TD pass in overtime (which is a lot more than Peyton Manning did with the same team a year later).

It remains to be seen whether Tebow will ever become a successful pro QB, but to pretend he can't play is really weird.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to AB57

to AB57
said by AB57:

The Jets hadn't seen him play for Denver the previous year? Nobody had looked at any film from those games and evaluated him? They knew exactly what they were getting.

No, apparently they didn't know what they were getting. They overestimated either his ability to adapt to their offense or their ability to coach him, or both. It's only about the ten thousandth time a team has assessed a player wrongly.
quote:
Rex Ryan and his coaching staff vastly overrated Tebow's abilities as both a runner and a thrower.
Edited to add this much more thorough explanation of what I was saying:
said by Blogger:

They had watched Tebow play in Denver. They knew he was a terrible passer. As accurately mentioned many times previously everyone knew that and everyone knew that just his basic mechanical physical throwing motion was non adequate to be an effective passer. It was believed that some coaching on his throwing mechanics and motion combined with practice could improve that significantly. However, despite dedicated efforts in scrimmages and practice with a dedicated commitment to the Wildcat in that the Jets ran it in scrimmages and practice to develop it and improve both it and Tebow it was a disaster.

Tebow failed to improve his woeful painfully poor throwing ability. With the repeated practices and scrimmages it became clear that Tebow was also not as good of a runner* as believed or evaluated from his limited exposure in Denver.

fatness

fatness to Draiman

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

Preseason is a often the only time for them to show their stuff. If they can't impress the coaches they sit for the season or get cut. You have to EARN field time in the NFL. That starts with preseason field time.

And it's that way for all NFL players. There's no exemption for Tebow despite what his fans say. Like every other NFL player he deserves only what he earns through his play.
fatness

fatness to footballdude

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

There were questions about his throwing motion and QB ability in college as well, but he seemed to overcome pretty well. He then came to the NFL and took a lousy team to the playoffs. He won that playoff game with a brilliant TD pass in overtime (which is a lot more than Peyton Manning did with the same team a year later).

His team lost 4 out of the last 5 games he started. 3 of the losses were blowouts, 1 of them was a 7-3 loss to the Chiefs. The only game of the last 5 he won was the Pittsburgh game in the playoffs.

It remains to be seen whether Tebow will ever become a successful pro QB, but to pretend he can't play is really weird.

I think it has already been seen that he won't. The league was onto his limited skill set which was why Denver lost 4 of the last 5 games he started, why Denver didn't want him any longer, why only 2 teams in the league wanted him after that (Jets and Jags), and why now neither of those teams wants him either. He's not good enough to be an NFL QB and he can't play any other position.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
That's just it, I don't think he sucks. But I think he's only good at one thing, and the Jets didn't have the players to make what he does do well work on the field.
So they stayed with Sanchez who has a knack for turning the ball over.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Rook008:

That's just it, I don't think he sucks. But I think he's only good at one thing, and the Jets didn't have the players to make what he does do well work on the field.
So they stayed with Sanchez who has a knack for turning the ball over.

He didn't do anything well in Denver or New York hence why both teams didn't make him a part of the plan after seeing his lack of skills. Tebow is the next Jamarcus Russell.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan to footballdude

Premium Member

to footballdude
He accomplished what he did in college because of the system employed by Urban Meyer and the team that surrounded him. You cannot base how someone will perform in the NFL based upon what they did in college. Lastly, Florida Quarterbacks have a long standing history of being flops in the NFL--so Tebow's failure is not surprising in the least bit.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

said by AB57:

No, apparently they didn't know what they were getting. They overestimated either his ability to adapt to their offense or their ability to coach him, or both. It's only about the ten thousandth time a team has assessed a player wrongly.
quote:
Rex Ryan and his coaching staff vastly overrated Tebow's abilities as both a runner and a thrower.
Edited to add this much more thorough explanation of what I was saying:
said by Blogger:

Tebow failed to improve his woeful painfully poor throwing ability. With the repeated practices and scrimmages it became clear that Tebow was also not as good of a runner* as believed or evaluated from his limited exposure in Denver.

Right. So, either this Bleacher Report blogger has intimate personal and inside knowledge of events that lead to what became the Tebow fiasco situation, or he's parroting the CYA-speak of Ryan and the Jets organization as to why that situation went so poorly.

I might tend to lean towards door #2 on this one, but of course that's just me.

btB
@rr.com

btB to Draiman

Anon

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

Tebow is the next Jamarcus Russell.

Actually, Russell is trying to make a comeback. If Russell can show that he is mature enough to take the profession of being a quarterback seriously, then I suspect lots of teams would be willing to give him a chance. Right now though, he is a long way off at 310lbs.

»bleacherreport.com/artic ··· pisode-1

It would not surprise me if they are of the opinion that everything Tebow did well in the NFL previously was primarily because he was new to the league, so teams did not have much of a scouting report on his ability. Once he played more often, scouts found out exactly what he could and could not do. NFL teams right now probably do not think he can be effective at doing anything as a quarterback.

To NFL teams, it is simple. If Tebow cannot improve what he is deficient at, he will no longer be in the league if he wants to be a quarterback. As nobody is actually pursuing Tebow, he would have to show any improvement via free agent tryout or in another league. I know the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are looking for a quarterback. As far a I know though, his negotiating rights still belongs to the Montreal Alouettes.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member

Blogger

Premium Member

The thing I don't get regarding those that are fans or supporters of Tebow playing and advocating he didn't get a fair chance despite a year in training with the Jets is that there are sources in the league that confirm his teammates that watched him and played with and against him every day were very negative of his abilities and presence on the team, (that was quoted as was the Jet's staff negative ability evaluation), and that for him to be "ignored" one must conclude that every coach and owner in the entire league, ALL of whom just want to win, either are all wrong or all have conspired against him for reasons unknown.

He is competitive warriror, is team oriented--that's certainly a positive. He also is 6'3 and 235 with average speed, good agility for a big man, poor footwork, no moves, an average power runner, and cannot throw well. Those are clearly not the talents of an NFL QB.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

his teammates that watched him and played with and against him every day were very negative of his abilities and presence on the team

With the Jets, yes. With the Broncos, there were several teammates that were Tebow supporters. Nobody was upset that they upgraded to Manning, but many of them thought that Tebow should have stayed as a backup. Von Miller did a midfield Tebow after his first sack this year.

Also, saying he cannot throw well, you have to ignore that he is #2 in the NCAA history books in passing efficiency. Somehow, all those others with pretty throwing motions couldn't accomplish what he did. He's also #1 in SEC history in completion percentage. He did something right, and there ought to be someone in the NFL that can figure out a way to use him effectively. It doesn't surprise me that Rex Ryan wasn't that guy.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger
I would love to see Tebow next season go to a team that makes it to the Superbowl...and with his team trailing by 3 with under a minute to go, he comes in off the bench and throws a Superbowl winning TD.....

And at that same moment Rex Ryan is speeding through another red light in PA causing a three car crash but this time, instead of cops asking for his autograph, he gets arrested and thrown in a jail cell.....And his one allowed phone call is to Tebow begging him for bail money.