uniqs

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to btB

to btB

Re: [NFL] NFL Considered Widening the field like the CFL

Imagine Roethlisberger and some other slower QB;s trying to run out of bounds to kill the clock, huffing and puffing and stopping to take a break or 2.

Widening the field will benefit speed guys.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by fatness:

Imagine Roethlisberger and some other slower QB;s trying to run out of bounds to kill the clock, huffing and puffing and stopping to take a break or 2.

Widening the field will benefit speed guys.

You contend an extra 15-18 feet is enough to 'wind' someone trying to get out of bounds? Are these guys donut eating cops or professional athletes?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

said by Draiman:

You contend an extra 15-18 feet is enough to 'wind' someone trying to get out of bounds? Are these guys donut eating cops or professional athletes?

I was joking about the huffing and puffing and taking breaks. But if the field's wider slower QB's (and RB's) will get tackled more often before making it out of bounds to stop the clock.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

That is probably the point. Make the game a little more of a speed-oriented, while making it a little less 3rd yards-and-a-pile-of-dust. Those who favor the move likely think that with the wider field, there would be fewer cars in the pileup.

Honestly if such a change is made, my guess is that it would be for monetary reasons just as much as it is for safety reasons. Monetary in that owners are convinced that medical and insurance costs would be noticeably lower. Likewise, the owners would do it if they thought it would reduce the chance of losing huge chunks of change due to safety-related lawsuits in the future.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by btB :

That is probably the point. Make the game a little more of a speed-oriented, while making it a little less 3rd yards-and-a-pile-of-dust. Those who favor the move likely think that with the wider field, there would be fewer cars in the pileup.

Honestly if such a change is made, my guess is that it would be for monetary reasons just as much as it is for safety reasons. Monetary in that owners are convinced that medical and insurance costs would be noticeably lower. Likewise, the owners would do it if they thought it would reduce the chance of losing huge chunks of change due to safety-related lawsuits in the future.

The point is to make the game go sidelines to sidelines more which is a slower pace then goal line to goal line.

Your right the move is all about money. Medical, insurance, and even lawsuits are all valid points but not the main reason. The biggest reason is to keep players health so they play longer. If Ray Lewis could have played 2-3 more years that's a ton of extra cash for the league.