Search similar:

uniqs
kdubb
join:2006-04-27
Nixa, MO

kdubb

[Speed] Suddenlink performance issue..Not getting anywhere with

Hello,

I am located in SW Missouri. I recently switched from ATT DSL to Suddenlink 30mb internet. I just made this switch in December. Ever since then I have been trying to get Suddenlink to get my internet to run like it should. My issues are as follows:

1. Speed drops off at night during peak times. Sometimes only getting 5mb down or less (maxing out my bandwidth with large downloads).

2. Latency is not very good. With ATT my ping was 20ms to google for example (yes that was DSL). With suddenlink it is 75ms. I am told this is normal which if this is normal, then I don't want any part of it. The only decent ping is anything in Chicago, and even that is not very good. I game as well as do a lot with remote desktop for work which the latency really makes it suck (even though our datacenter is 20 miles away). Medicom Cable which people can get 10 miles away from me can get does not have this issue so I know it is not the nature of Cable.

Phone support is useless. I have been working with a field tech who has done everything in his power. He has even escalated up to the regional tech. They have given me a new modem, reallocated my modem, tracked my modem during the issue and have found nothing. It seems to be a routing issue to me further up the chain. As for speedtests, the ones that show a consistent 30mb (no I don't expect to get 30mb at all times) are the suddenlink speed tests themselves. I don't believe in Speedtests anyway. I am told the line I am on is working perfectly and is not maxed out at all. I have even done download tests that the field tech was told to have my try which are from worldoftanks, eveonline, and ubuntu. At night I can reproduce the issue when downloading from these sites. I will even through an MS and Apple download on top of it to really max it out. I have given all this data and proof to Suddenlink but they have yet to find the issue. Maybe I am not talking to the right people, and I was hoping someone on here could help me out. The techs on here are my last hope before I switch back to ATT and get Uverse.

Thanks!

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Re: [Speed] Suddenlink performance issue..Not getting anywhere w

If you are going to say you have issues with latency while doing remote desktop to work and latency issues with gaming, then try providing tracerts to THOSE servers, not a ping to google. Also, if your datacenter doesn't use SL for their internet connection, then you are going to be routed out of the SL network and back in through theirs. Not much to be done about that.

I'll give you the one on phone support, lol, but then again they are mainly there to tell you to power cycle it and schedule truck rolls. If you have been working extensively with a field tech already, what has he told you is the issue?

Finally, and I know we all lie to the phone support people, but are these issues present when you are connected directly to the modem?

SL L3tech should be able to stop by this thread soon and provide some more insight from the network end of your issue, if you pm him with your ip and mac address and a link to here or a brief description, it should help speed up his ability to look into it. He also usually will ask people to run a minimum of 24 hours of a program called PingPlotterPro (free trial). If you can run the program pointed at the specific servers you are having trouble with, that would be even more helpful.
kdubb
Nixa, MO

kdubb

Yes, all download tests are directly connected to a PC that has nothing else going on. I have provided extensive data to the tech which was requested of him from the regional network guys. The field tech does not know what to think. He is at the mercy of the regional network guys. He has been working his butt off for me, but we are not getting anywhere. Everything they check into checks out.

No my datacenter does not have a direct connection to SL.
kdubb

kdubb

Also, i was using the ping to google just as an example since that is what i used as a baseline when I had ATT. None of my pings to anything is better than 50ms. I don't really care about the gaming as much as the RDP. As for the download speeds, it is probably not related to the latency issues. The latency never changes which tells me (and my field tech has told me) is about the norm. The download speeds completely change during peak hours.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

If you were actually able to get a RDP session at 50ms, that would be amazing. I use this alot also helping family and friends back home and i'll get around 4-500 ms. Still totally usable.

When you ping google.com, you will be pinging a different server usually every time. So find an IP if you want to use a random internet server as a ping baseline. Depending on the router used, you could be pinging a google server on the other side of the country when you switched ISP.

But I'm still not quite sure what the big problem is... your ping being 75ms, or your download speeds? If it's latency, sdl l3tech here on the forums should likely be able to see exactly where the problem is. If it's bandwidth related, he'll atleast be able to see if there is a problem in the lines (and forward it to maintenance) or if the node is congested. He can see all kinds of neat stuff, so I've gathered! lol Drop him a line.
kdubb
Nixa, MO

1 edit

kdubb

Disregard my last post (edited this one). i have received some IMs from SDL L3Tech and he is looking into some things for me!