Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

Want search Google option in Firefox not to open in new tab

On Firefox for Mac, if I highlight something and select to search Google for it, it opens the search in a new tab. Is there a way to make it so the search is opened in either a new window or the same window?

--
»A pretty good alernative to bit torrent and newsgroups

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit

goto about:config then turn browser.search.openintab to false

Edit: nevermind that doesn't work for Context menu searches.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

I realized that the plugin I have, Context Search X, does that and it's not a default Fx option.

fonzbear2000
Premium
Saint Paul, MN

said by DrDrew:

I realized that the plugin I have, Context Search X, does that and it's not a default Fx option.

So, are you saying there's a way to do what I'm asking then? For me, browser.search.openintab was already set to false by default.
--
»A pretty good alernative to bit torrent and newsgroups

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by fonzbear2000:

said by DrDrew:

So, are you saying there's a way to do what I'm asking then? For me, browser.search.openintab was already set to false by default.

Yes. I use Context Search X:
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···rprofile

It allows a few new options for Context Searching. One of them is to open context searches in the current window:

Setting the

--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

fonzbear2000
Premium
Saint Paul, MN

Oh, I get it now. That works great and does exactly what I want! Thanks so much!