All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tiger_scout
join:2010-02-20

tiger_scout

Cant scan to email

I just got a new printer and I cant get it to scan to email. I have the correct smtp server mail.optonline.net and port 587 or 25 and the correct login name and password but I keep getting an error invaled server. Xerox says its my isp, my isp says its xerox.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

Wait, if your scanner is right there, why do you need mail server settings? That's weird..Unless you are emailing to external people?
Either way you would need more detailed error/logs than just "invalid server".

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

I want to scan a document to my work email.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to tiger_scout

to tiger_scout
Are you trying to send from home & using your OOL connection? If so, the only additional setting you need to select is to use password authentication (same ID & pwd you use to log injto OOL mail) on the port 587 and it should send. You can swap the server to mail.optimum.net since that's officially it now (though it will work either way though). Port 25 when on the OOL network will work without authentication.

Edit: In case the scanner doesn't have DNS, try to put in the IP of the server - 167.206.5.250

jjakke
@telus.net

jjakke to tiger_scout

Anon

to tiger_scout
You trying to send a scanned pic/document direct to the email universe?

You scan to insert it direct into a email on your computer email program and then send if off to whoever its addressed to.

Or scan and save to file on your computer and then insert it or attach it to an email on your computer or webmail.

Or may I assume you have a fax program on the printer that sends scan documents via the Internet to another computers fax program? ...Digital fax without dialups slowness..
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

Are you trying to send from home & using your OOL connection? If so, the only additional setting you need to select is to use password authentication (same ID & pwd you use to log injto OOL mail) on the port 587 and it should send. You can swap the server to mail.optimum.net since that's officially it now (though it will work either way though). Port 25 when on the OOL network will work without authentication.

Edit: In case the scanner doesn't have DNS, try to put in the IP of the server - 167.206.5.250

OP: Don't do that. The IP may change, years down the road, and you'll have a very hard time figuring out why it stopped working all of a sudden - hours of frustration on your part are guaranteed.

So yes, use either port 587 with username+password (all email-capable printers must support that, given that there is ISPs that do NOT permit unauthenticated port-25 mail anymore; if yours doesn't: return it to the store), or port 25 without authentication.
If it doesn't work: can other devices in the house send mail via port 25 or port 587? If yes, the problem is with the printer.

tiger_scout

1 edit

tiger_scout

I am trying to send a scanned pic/document direct to the email universe.
Unfortunately I don't have another device to use as a test.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

said by frdrizzt:

OP: Don't do that. The IP may change, years down the road, and you'll have a very hard time figuring out why it stopped working all of a sudden - hours of frustration on your part are guaranteed.

So yes, use either port 587 with username+password (all email-capable printers must support that, given that there is ISPs that do NOT permit unauthenticated port-25 mail anymore; if yours doesn't: return it to the store), or port 25 without authentication.
If it doesn't work: can other devices in the house send mail via port 25 or port 587? If yes, the problem is with the printer.

You don't think it's potentially worth preventing hours more of aggravation if that is the problem now? I didn't tell him to leave it like that, but to try to enter it and see if it works. If the server settings are correct and it doesn't work, barring any software update for the printer he is out of luck. Seems worth a try to me. He can then address the specific problem that would imply (DNS not working) instead of the visible symptom (can't email scanned documents). If it's not the solution, it can instantly be put back, costing 2 minutes of his life in total.

Then again, we know little about the setup other than the manufacturer of the device. It's not being connected directly to the modem, right, it is through a router that is functioning correctly with a computer? What model of device do you have, and maybe someone can give more specific info too.

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

The router is a DLink DGL-4100. I can print to it. I have the ip address, subnet mask and router gateway input. Do I need to input dns settings for scanning to email to work. I thought that scan to email would be the easiest way to scan documents to my iMac. I tried setting up scan to folder but that isnt going too well. I guess Ill have to buy a 15ft usb cable to scan.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Have you tried scanning from the iMac instead of from the printer?

»discussions.apple.com/th ··· tstart=0

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

Sorry but that doesnt make sense to me. The scanner is part of the printer.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Of course the scanner is part of the printer. But you can print sitting at the computer to the printer. I can scan wirelessly by inserting what I want to scan into my scanner and using a program on the computer instead of the controls on the printer. My question was have you tried inserting what you want to scan into the scanner, walking over to the iMac and asking it to scan?

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

I guess you mean scan to file or a folder on my iMac through my home network. I have not set that up. The other option is to get a long usb cable and scan it through that with the scan software.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Did you read the link I posted? There are posts that explain how to scan from the iMac. Why not simply see if it works, because if you can print from the iMac it is likely you can scan. The advantage of scanning from a computer is that if your network has more than one computer they can all scan, ie you do not need to tell the scanner/printer where to send the scan, the computer contacts the scanner/printer and tell it what to do.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
If you can print over the network you scan scan over it, its been that way on all of my printers over the years. Depending on the printer, you might need to download the software from the manufacturer's site, or it might just show up in image capture automatically.

tiger_scout

1 edit

tiger_scout

quote:
Click on the Apple in the uppermost left-hand corner of the screen.
Then click on System Preferences...
Click on the Printer & Faxes icon.
Then click on Print & Fax, the interface opens, simply click on the Scan button and then on the Open Scanner button.
There is no scan or scanner button. It does not show up in image capture.

xirian
Premium Member
Beacon, NY

xirian

Premium Member

said by tiger_scout:

quote:
Click on the Apple in the uppermost left-hand corner of the screen.
Then click on System Preferences...
Click on the Printer & Faxes icon.
Then click on Print & Fax, the interface opens, simply click on the Scan button and then on the Open Scanner button.
There is no scan or scanner button. It does not show up in image capture.

what is the model of the printer/scanner?

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

Xerox 6505.

xirian
Premium Member
Beacon, NY

xirian

Premium Member

Are you running lion (10.7) or mountain lion (10.8)?

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

Lion 10.7.5.

xirian
Premium Member
Beacon, NY

xirian to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
»www.support.xerox.com/su ··· guage=en

download and install the scan driver and you should be able to scan to your mac.

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

Already done. That is I believe only for usb cable scanning.

xirian
Premium Member
Beacon, NY

xirian to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
looking at the manual yeah you can't scan from the mac. However you can share a folder on the mac and set the printer to scan to that folder. »download.support.xerox.c ··· e_en.pdf page 49

tiger_scout

tiger_scout

Ok thank you.
tiger_scout

tiger_scout

So what fixed my problem was that I needed a dns address. Im surprised it was that simple. Do other people scan to email without it?
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

I assume most do, otherwise they would have to put in the mail server's IP instead of domain name. I just scan to PC, not email, personally on the rare occurrence that I need to email something I have a physical copy of (my scanner does not have SMTP support).