spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

tonyram57

[TWC] [11217]Terrible slow upload at certain times.

After a month in January with very little problems yet again I am having slow upload issues again since Sunday night. Most of the time the connection is fine but at around 11:35 pm I get slow uploads until around 1:00 am. Today it even slowed down at around 8:30 pm disrupting Netflix then again around 11:35 pm slow upload problems again. I called Level 3 right before they closed and they said there is a outage in my area just reported today at 11:30 pm.

I have the SB5101U which is a DOSCIS 2.0 modem and even ordered the SB6141 DOSCIS 3.0 modem thinking it might fix this because of the channel bonding of the upstream. My area does get upstream channel bonding. So I have time to cancel my order will the SB6141 help.

I am getting tired of all of these problems I have since August 26th 2012. Replaced my modem six time then got the SB5101U. I can go maybe a month then there are problems again with the upload. Level 3 says it is noise issues. Techs come to my house but do crap all they want to do is swap the modem. They refuse to check the pole in the backyard then all the notes I give Level 3 they are clueless so now I ask for no techs. I want a senior tech to come and do the work outside without setting foot in my house.

Also don't tell me to post on the private forum as I have Earthlink Cable but I post here since Time Warner is the backbone of the network. All Earthlink supplies is my static IP address and my email but I save over $20 then going directly to Time Warner. Also the Earthink forum here is practically dead so I post here for more exposure and a faster response.

Hope I explained much. Also not to forget the weird part is when my upload craps out I can stream music fine. I am streaming music right now no problems with no dropouts. According to Windows 8 task manager the upload stays at 0 kbps and only goes up to 8 kbps when the title changes. However streaming video is unwatchable. Weird

Downstream Value
Frequency 297000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 39.4 dB
Power Level 2.5 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 18
Frequency 23800000 Hz
Power 43.7 dBmV
tonyram57

1 edit

tonyram57

Re: [TWC] [11217]Slow upload at certain times.

Okay now just like last night around 12:50 am. I did call the main number and they said there is a problem in the area.
tonyram57

tonyram57

Connection went dead around 11:40 pm again today. Was fine all day. Now I am getting slow upload crap again. Modem shows all synced and signal strengths are normal.
tonyram57

tonyram57

Re: [TWC] [11217]Terrible slow upload at certain times.

Back to normal now at 12:35 am. Something screwy is going on.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

Could you do a 'tracert www.google.com' and post that here? It would show any overloaded routers/node issues and where they are happening(if). Of course it would have to be during went it craps out to get results, otherwise it may show up fine.

revi
@rr.com

revi

Anon

road runner TWC Astoria, NY. What's going on? This took a few minutes to complete... my connection is all screwed up.

Tracing route to www.google.com [173.194.75.103]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 11 ms 14 ms 14 ms bun100.nyquny91-rtr001.nyc.rr.com [184.152.112.8
1]
5 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms bun6-nyquny91-rtr002.nyc.rr.com [24.29.148.254]

6 14 ms 12 ms 14 ms 107.14.19.22
7 23 ms 23 ms 21 ms 107.14.17.172
8 18 ms 22 ms 22 ms ae-4-0.cr0.dca20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.28]
9 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 107.14.19.135
10 66 ms 54 ms 56 ms 66.109.9.66
11 19 ms 17 ms 20 ms 209.85.252.46
12 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 72.14.236.98
13 30 ms * * 209.85.241.222
14 * 31 ms 29 ms 216.239.48.157
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 49 ms 28 ms 28 ms ve-in-f103.1e100.net [173.194.75.103]

Trace complete.
revi7
join:2013-02-15
Astoria, NY

revi7 to tonyram57

to tonyram57
road runner TWC Astoria, NY. What's going on? This took a few minutes to complete... my connection is all screwed up.

Tracing route to www.google.com [173.194.75.103]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 11 ms 14 ms 14 ms bun100.nyquny91-rtr001.nyc.rr.com [184.152.112.8
1]
5 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms bun6-nyquny91-rtr002.nyc.rr.com [24.29.148.254]

6 14 ms 12 ms 14 ms 107.14.19.22
7 23 ms 23 ms 21 ms 107.14.17.172
8 18 ms 22 ms 22 ms ae-4-0.cr0.dca20.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.28]
9 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 107.14.19.135
10 66 ms 54 ms 56 ms 66.109.9.66
11 19 ms 17 ms 20 ms 209.85.252.46
12 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 72.14.236.98
13 30 ms * * 209.85.241.222
14 * 31 ms 29 ms 216.239.48.157
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 49 ms 28 ms 28 ms ve-in-f103.1e100.net [173.194.75.103]

Trace complete.
revi7

revi7

Looks like it's back to normal. Lasted for about an hour.

TWCFH
@mindspring.com

TWCFH

Anon

1st hop timing out in 11375. Spoke to multiple techs via online chat and called in one time.

Nothing resolved. Same type of issue, ping timeouts on the first hop or 4000ms pings and the Windows 7 Ethernet cable/Monitor icon turns to yellow as I get disconnected from the internet.

Modem diagnostics show return path at a low frequency yet signal levels seem normal and there is no bit errors so my guess is the modem is communicating fine to the headend and it is a network based issue.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Are all of you using 2.0 modems. Tonight it is fine because my upstream is on channel 20. Whenever it is on 17 or 18 I will get slow upload problems.
tonyram57

tonyram57

My upstream is now on channel 20. I bet you around 11:30 pm I will have upstream problems again.
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

1 edit

Earthlinky

Was speaking with a Time Warner rep on the forums here and he is claiming modem issues when all my modem diagnostics are showing fine.

I clearly don't need a tech here, and I won't be having one sent out. But the company seems to want to send techs out just to prevent cancellations and disconnects when in fact sending out a tech in my case is a total waste of resources.

Time Warner has gone substantially downhill lately and I am waiting for Verizon FIOS to come in. FIOS has come to my zipcode to other buildings but has not been placed here yet. As soon as it comes I will cancel out Time Warner. While they have never been the best in the past I could deal with them. Now they just seem to have turned much worse.

It is clearly a network transit issue, not one of the modem signal and connection.

All reps say the same things and will just say anything to try to get a tech sent out, instead of putting the real resources in the reinvestment of the actual network.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Earthlinky:

Was speaking with a Time Warner rep on the forums here and he is claiming modem issues when all my modem diagnostics are showing fine.

I clearly don't need a tech here, and I won't be having one sent out. But the company seems to want to send techs out just to prevent cancellations and disconnects when in fact sending out a tech in my case is a total waste of resources.

Time Warner has gone substantially downhill lately and I am waiting for Verizon FIOS to come in. FIOS has come to my zipcode to other buildings but has not been placed here yet. As soon as it comes I will cancel out Time Warner. While they have never been the best in the past I could deal with them. Now they just seem to have turned much worse.

It is clearly a network transit issue, not one of the modem signal and connection.

All reps say the same things and will just say anything to try to get a tech sent out, instead of putting the real resources in the reinvestment of the actual network.

from the looks of it too many DOCSIS 2.0 modems on each upstream in your area and all the upstreams are becoming bottlenecked and the probable solution would be to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem preferably one that can do 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels. This should allow your traffic to be loadbalanced across 4 channels instead of 1.

TWCFH
@mindspring.com

TWCFH

Anon

Agreed on the upstream. Also network routing issues as well on lossy routers as evidenced by reverse traceroutes.

Same deal with my modem, when I am on 19 frequency the modem seems to work better. On the 17 frequency for upstream it does worse.

Contacted time Warner they wanted to schedule a truck roll which I wouldn't let them do since the modem and line itself is fine. Just more people sharing the existing pipeline leading to overcrowdedness due to technological limitations along with network issues of lossy routers and the like.

I'll see if it clears up soon. If not I will look for ISP Alternatives.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Just got my SB6141 yesterday. Called Level 3 support and it was activated in no less than five minutes. I got it because of the upstream issues. It now bonds channels 17 to 20. Just is there any way to prevent the LED light from blinking?
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

Time Warner has been useless. And Verizon FIOS isn't out here yet.

Any good wireless alternatives existing in the NYC Metro area?
Earthlinky

Earthlinky to tonyram57

to tonyram57
Time Warner just blames my modem and connection when it isn't that. It is frustrating especially with the Network Status page down which always showed they were doing work.

Time Warner has gone downhill. And FIOS isn't here.

Wireless alternatives likely will experience more issues and Clearwire is slower and higher priced.

Time Warner said I must use their own modem. I don't think they will swap me with a docsis 3.0 modem unless I pay a lot extra for docsis 3.0 services I don't need nor want. FIOS is far superior but isn't out here yet.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
put duck tape over it? lol

Your issue is most likely caused by ingress/noise on the upstream that maybe affecting some or all upstream channels. Often this is due to damaged equipment, bad taps, or illegal cable hookups in the area to damaged devices.
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

Could be. But they want to send a tech out to fix it. The TV signal on the line is perfect.

I don't want to keep calling a tech to fix the issue that will reoccur. Last time I had an issue they swapped the modem blaming it and reprovisioning the modem as well as bring a laptop computer which made noises when he was doing something. I wasn't sure if it was diagnostic tests or whatnot.

My guess is overcrowded upstream.
TWCdude
join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX

TWCdude

I had the same problem about 3 weeks ago where the upload would slow to a crawl over night then would pick up as it warmed up during the day. There was noise on the upstream channel and a maintenance crew had to go out and fix it.
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

Could be. But the problems reoccur all the time. All they would do if they came here is swap the modem.

Can you use your own modem on Time Warner? Someone mentioned Channel bonding with the Docsis 3.0 modems. If I bought my own modem, would my connection be more stable than using the Time Warner modem?
Earthlinky

Earthlinky

Thinking of also getting the SB6141 and returning this modem.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
TV Signal would not be affected by issues that affect upstream.
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

My building has loads of other units so if there is an upstream issue to the building, it will get fixed.
Earthlinky

1 edit

Earthlinky to kilrathi

to kilrathi
My building has loads of other units so if there is an upstream issue to the building, someone else will call out a technician if there is a problem on the local end.

A lot of people in my building have issues with Time Warner. It isn't anything new.

Ping times on the upstream are high.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to Earthlinky

to Earthlinky
said by Earthlinky:

Could be. But they want to send a tech out to fix it. The TV signal on the line is perfect.

I don't want to keep calling a tech to fix the issue that will reoccur. Last time I had an issue they swapped the modem blaming it and reprovisioning the modem as well as bring a laptop computer which made noises when he was doing something. I wasn't sure if it was diagnostic tests or whatnot.

My guess is overcrowded upstream.

They did that crap with me five times. Only one tech actually did work and ran a new cable drop down to the backyard. The other tech took my leased SB6580 which is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that I only had for six days and gave me butt ugly old crappy Arris TM602G DOCSIS 2.0 modem because he said I could not have a DOCSIS 3.0 because I had Earthlink and he said it was not compatible. I believed that idiot which is why I bought the SB5101U after.

All I know is with all the DOCSIS 2.0 modems the downstream and upstream channels would keep changing causing connection lose for a few seconds. I am hoping with the DOCSIS 3.0 modem it will not do that anymore.
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

2 edits

Earthlinky

Time Warner explicitly lies and won't solve the real issue of the connection problem.

I asked how my signal levels are from the modem without saying I had a connection issue, he said it looks fine.

Another tech said he saw connection issues, when there were none between modem and headend. They just want to bring a tech out to prevent cancellations and lost revenue.

The only thing left to do is to cancel out the service. I have had it with Time Warner.

Going to drop off the modem and cancel the service altogether. But I don't know what service I will replace it with yet.

Buying your own modem won't help when there are problems on the TWC Side.

Please read the SB6141 thread on here. The modem is not the cause of the problems nor the solution. It doesn't matter which modem you have.

They ram down more speed through an overcrowded pipeline on coaxial using encoding and the system just can't handle the connections anymore due to the plant design.

A fiber optics cable like FIOS end to end will eliminate all these issues but the problem is FIOS is not available here.

So I will probably use a wireless alternative for internet. My cellphone service is a LOT MORE reliable and never cuts out. Time Warner has physical plant and network issues. Perhaps using the network they could fix these issues but they are common and the norm not the exception.

I looked at the Time Warner Cable Direct forum and the threads for intermittent connection problems were long and it appears as though lots of people are having them and they appear unresolved.

Plus I note that while this problem occured the Time Warner network status page disappeared which usually gives a window into where they are doing work and what is going on.

So its time to return the modem and cancel out Time Warner.