spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scottp99

join:2010-12-11
reply to dslcreature

Re: File Encryption AES-128 versus AES-256?

Lets put it this way, does not matter what encryption program is in use to encrypt a file or whatever crypto one is using, if someone has a keylogger installed, then your screwed anyways.

So its best to scan the system even before encrypting files.

scottp99

reply to dslcreature
As a matter of fact, no one really knows who is the creator of TC really is. I heard its some teams from the Czech Republic or something. That makes me even more nervous about using TC in the first place

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
Let me guess, Al Gore, may be? Oh, wait, ism't that some team from Czech Republic?

No, of course you can't trust them. Even if they say it's open source project and you can see that source code with your own eyes. Better use a proprietary closed solution without (as you mentioned in your first post) remote backdoor... Go for it. It's much better then TC.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

scottp99

reply to dslcreature
I also noticed something in the TrueCrypt Volume file container properties of a Block Size being 128-bits. And I see two encryption keys being of 256 as (Primary and Secondary) using AES.

So my question is, is my encryption file container using AES-128 or AES-256?

Im sorry, But I will have to read up more about encryption technologies. Sorry for the added questions here.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
From the previously posted Trucrypt documentation link.

"TrueCrypt uses AES with 14 rounds and a 256-bit key (i.e., AES-256, published in 2001) operating in XTS mode (see the section Modes of Operation)."

Block size for AES is 128 bits, regardless of the key size. It's in the specification.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to scottp99
Different levels of security for different things, for example NSA Suite B »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_Suite_···tography and then NSA Suite A »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_Suite_···tography, but of course you can render even the most secure of encryption useless with sloppy key handling or a chocolate bar

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool