2 edits

2 recommendations

chachazz

Premium Member

Security Bulletin for Adobe Reader and Acrobat

Adobe Reader and Acrobat Vulnerability Report
February 12, 2013:
quote:
Adobe is aware of a report of a vulnerability in Adobe Reader and Acrobat XI (11.0.1) and earlier versions being exploited in the wild. We are currently investigating this report and assessing the risk to our customers. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information. Please continue monitoring the Adobe PSIRT blog for the latest information.
»blogs.adobe.com/psirt/20 ··· ort.html
chachazz

chachazz

Premium Member

Re: Adobe Reader and Acrobat Vulnerability Report

FireEye Malware Lab - 2013.02.12
quote:
In Turn, It's PDF Time
We have found IE, Java, and Flash zero-days in a row in the past several months, and now it's PDF’s turn. Today, we identified that a PDF zero-day is being exploited in the wild, and we observed successful exploitation on the latest Adobe PDF Reader 9.5.3, 10.1.5, and 11.0.1.

Upon successful exploitation, it will drop two DLLs. The first DLL shows a fake error message and opens a decoy PDF document, which is usually common in targeted attacks. The second DLL in turn drops the callback component, which talks to a remote domain.

[Update: February 13, 2013]
quote:
In response to the many requests we’ve received for more detailed information, we would like to let our readers know that we have been working with Adobe and have jointly agreed to refrain from posting the technical details of the zero-day at this time. This post was intended to serve as a warning to the general public. We will update this post with more information at a later time.
»blog.fireeye.com/researc ··· ime.html

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Ok on goes my conspiracy theory hat

I'm convinced Adobe is deliberately releasing vulnerable software on purpose. Either that or they're totally incompetent. Or both. Hmmm
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Yeah seriously! Adobe and Oracle (Java) are making patch management a real pain this month!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

Yeah seriously! Adobe and Oracle (Java) are making patch management a real pain this month!

Think of it all as a digital security fitness program. Oracle and Adobe are actually trying to build up everyone's patching muscles. See? They really do care about users...

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

You're a glass half full type of guy right?

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium Member
join:2000-11-23

1 recommendation

Rebrider to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Ok on goes my conspiracy theory hat

I'm convinced Adobe is deliberately releasing vulnerable software on purpose. Either that or they're totally incompetent. Or both. Hmmm

+1

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
This is why I use SumatraPDF as my default PDF reader, with Foxit Enterprise Reader as a backup for when I need to read PDFs which use Javascript.
Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
Adobe and Oracle are right up there among the most flawed and vulnerable software.

Handle with kid gloves.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by siljaline:

Adobe and Oracle are right up there among the most flawed and vulnerable software...

What about Microsoft?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Good point
siljaline

siljaline to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Adobe said it's currently working on a fix for the security issue and will update its bulletin once a launch has been scheduled. In the meantime, Windows users of Adobe Reader XI and Acrobat XI can protect themselves from the security exploit by turning on Protected View as follows:

quote:
Open Reader or Acrobat. Click on the Edit menu, select Preferences, and then click on the Security (or Security Enhanced) option. In the Protected View section at the top of the window, click on the button to enable "Files from potentially unsafe locations" and then click OK.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to angussf

MVM

to angussf
said by angussf:

This is why I use SumatraPDF as my default PDF reader, with Foxit Enterprise Reader as a backup for when I need to read PDFs which use Javascript.

Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

And why I use Nitro as mine. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro_PDF

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

Adobe PSIRT: Security Advisory for Adobe Reader and Acrobat (APSA13-02)

February 13, 2013 | Last updated: February 14, 2012
Vulnerability identifier: APSA13-02
quote:
A Security Advisory (APSA13-02) has been posted in regards to critical vulnerabilities (CVE-2013-0640, CVE-2013-0641) in Adobe Reader and Acrobat XI (11.0.01 and earlier), X (10.1.5 and earlier) and 9.5.3 and earlier for Windows and Macintosh. These vulnerabilities could cause the application to crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Adobe is aware of reports that these vulnerabilities are being exploited in the wild in targeted attacks designed to trick Windows users into clicking on a malicious PDF file delivered in an email message.

Adobe is in the process of working on a fix for these issues and will update this advisory when a date for the fix has been determined.

Adobe will continue to provide updates on this issue via the Security Advisory section of the Adobe website as well as the Adobe PSIRT blog.
Security bulletin APSA13-02

Summary:
Adobe has identified critical vulnerabilities (CVE-2013-0640, CVE-2013-0641) in Adobe Reader and Acrobat XI (11.0.01 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, X (10.1.5 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, 9.5.3 and earlier for Windows and Macintosh, and Adobe Reader 9.5.3 for Linux. These vulnerabilities could cause the application to crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Adobe is aware of reports that these vulnerabilities are being exploited in the wild in targeted attacks designed to trick Windows users into clicking on a malicious PDF file delivered in an email message.

Adobe is in the process of working on a fix for these issues and will update this advisory when a date for the fix has been determined.

Affected Software Versions
• Adobe Reader XI (11.0.01 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh
• Adobe Reader X (10.1.5 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh
• Adobe Reader 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows, Macintosh and Linux
• Adobe Acrobat XI (11.0.01 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh
• Adobe Acrobat X (10.1.5 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh
• Adobe Acrobat 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh

Mitigations
Users of Adobe Reader XI and Acrobat XI for Windows can protect themselves from this exploit by enabling Protected View. To enable this setting, choose the "Files from potentially unsafe locations" option under the Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) menu.

Enterprise administrators can protect Windows users across their organization by enabling Protected View in the registry and propagating that setting via GPO or any other method. Further information about enabling Protected View for the enterprise is available here.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Re: Security Bulletin for Adobe Reader and Acrobat

for some reason, i can't get adobe's "security advisories" webpage to open.. when i try to open the webpage, it hangs on trying to load content from "wwwimages.adobe.com"..

i don't have a problem with opening any of adobe's other webpages, just the "security advisories" webpage..

here is a link for adobe's "security advisories" webpage:

»www.adobe.com/support/security/

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Re: Adobe Reader and Acrobat Vulnerability Report

Users of Adobe Reader XI and Acrobat XI for Windows can protect themselves from this exploit by enabling Protected View. To enable this setting, choose the "Files from potentially unsafe locations" option under the Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) menu.

Presumably users of 9.5.3 (e.g. on a Win2K box) are SOL? I've done the workaround for boxes running 11.0.1.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

9.x installs on Win2k? Adobe says only ver 8.x is Win2k compatible officially. Unofficially I'd think any recent version could be tricked into being installed, no?

Or perhaps more importantly why do you still have a Win2k box around? Some really special proprietary software? I'd hope you have it offline, since Win2k hasn't received updates in years, so the issue would be moot.

Acrobat 9.x and older is such a steaming pile to deal with, and it has no sandboxing abilities, so there's inherently no workaround possible.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

9.x installs on Win2k?

Yup. 9.x is the last to work on Win2K. No trick(s) required--just run the installer.
quote:
Or perhaps more importantly why do you still have a Win2k box around?
Because that box only supports Win2K and it works perfectly fine for it's intended purpose as a backup machine/server.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Never mind, mod's please delete...
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

Re: Security Bulletin for Adobe Reader and Acrobat

said by redwolfe_98:

i can't get adobe's "security advisories" webpage to open.. am i the only one who can't get adobe's "security advisories" webpage to open?

nevermind.. i figured out that the problem was caused by my avira program's "webguard", with the settings that i was using..

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
One thing Adobe omitted to tell us would be to disable:
AdobeARM from MSCONFIG

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

said by siljaline:

One thing Adobe omitted to tell us would be to disable:
AdobeARM from MSCONFIG

ARM is the update manager.
It is intended for the average users who do not manage their updates manually.

If it was an issue in this vulnerability, Adobe would have given instructions.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

quote:
This is a valid entry, but is classified as 'user's choice'.

It may not be needed, but that depends on whether the user deems it necessary.
I never use it, as it chokes MSCONFIG with superfluous start-ups.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Adobe to patch Reader zero-day this week with rush update

»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· h_update

"Hackers exploiting sandbox-bypass bug. Adobe on Saturday said it would release an emergency patch for two Reader zero-day vulnerabilities this week.

Hackers have already been exploiting the bugs using rigged PDF documents sent as email attachments..."

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

From your snippet, antdude See Profile
»blogs.adobe.com/psirt/20 ··· -02.html
quote:
We just updated the Security Advisory (APSA13-02) posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 to include the planned schedule for a patch to resolve CVE-2013-0640 and CVE-2013-0641. Adobe plans to make available updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat XI (11.0.01 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, X (10.1.5 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh, and Adobe Reader 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Linux during the week of February 18, 2013.

chachazz
Premium Member

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

Re: Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat

Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat
Release date: February 20, 2013
See the Bulletin for details: »www.adobe.com/support/se ··· -07.html

Acrobat for Windows: »www.adobe.com/support/do ··· =windows
Reader for Windows: »www.adobe.com/support/do ··· =Windows

Acrobat for Mac: »www.adobe.com/support/do ··· form=Mac
Reader for Mac: »www.adobe.com/support/do ··· acintosh

For detailed Release Notes, please see the Enterprise Toolkit.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

StuartMW See Profile may have duped, slightly.
»Re: Adobe Reader XI 11.0.2 and 9.5.4 available

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

No I think Chazzy duped. Check the post timestamps

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

StuartMW See Profile may have duped,

A post for Adobe Reader with no Links or information?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well I would've linked to this post but I forgot.

*whips self repeatedly*

BTW I was going to post links to the FTP site but FTP seems to be frowned upon these days (especially with respect to a certain browser).