share rss forum feed

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH
kudos:2

Issue with cooling Core i5 2500K under game play

So i have Core i5 2500K CPU. I have it right now on an Asus P8Z77V-LK motherboard.

I have a Corsair Builder series 750watt power supply that is brand new powering the system.

I have a Corsair H60 for the CPU cooler with a push pull fan system mounted on the back case wall and I am using Artic Silver CPU Goo.

I have it in a Cooler Master 431 case with one front fan. I am using an XFX 6870 2GB Video card.

I have the Asus FanExpert Utility set to standard on all the fans.

The problem is that under gameplay , the fans spin up crazy loud no matter what profile I use. CPU temp on the monitor utility does not go above 42 degrees C.

I have the same problem using a H212 air cooler as well. I have swapped motherboards (Asrock H77 Pro 3) and video cards (EVGA GTX 560Ti).

Any ideas or is that CPU just a heat monster and the coolers I have not able to keep up with it?

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN

Lot of variables here. Do you have that thing overclocked?

I had the same issue, but it was with a stock OEM heatsink/fan and I went with a Noctura cooler and it took my temps down into the mid 30's and it's whisper quiet.

Sounds like you've swapped video cards so you know it's not the video card fan that's causing your noise but are you certain it's the CPU cooler and not a case fan? Lots of people use the 212 and are pretty happy with it's performance and I find it hard to believe it can't keep up unless you have some sort of crazy OC'ing going on.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH

No overclocking going on at all.

I had the case fan disconnected until yesterday. I can try unplugging it again.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to s1deout

To be clear, the issue is not cooling, but acoustics. 42 C is just fine for a CPU under load.

Have you swapped the fans on the Hydro radiator or the 212? Try low RPM, high-static pressure Yate Loons or Gentle Typhoons.

If you are using stock fans, then you can expect a measure of noise.

Also, a single case fan is probably not adequate for cooling the entire case. Your GPU fans (likely 80mm) and CPU fans have to work harder if the ambient temperature in the case is higher. Consider adding some case fans if you are able. And get SILENT ones too.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH

Yes I am using stock fans. I have disabled the Bios control right now and they are spinning at about 2K RPM each. CPU temp is 34 degrees C right now in game.

The noise is the issue. I will try and get some of the lower RPM , high static pressure fans.

Thanks.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to s1deout

Try a Noctura solution. I've been extremely pleased with mine.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to s1deout

said by s1deout:

I have disabled the Bios control right now and they are spinning at about 2K RPM each.

And you woner why it's loud?? lol

With your case, I would get a 140mm fan for the front, a 120mm fan for the bottom (both facing in) and then a 120mm fan for the top or back (mounting the Hydro cooler blowing out in the other one).

That gives you a net positive amount of air in vs. air out.

You shouldn't be blasting your fans at max RPM. No wonder it's loud. Let the BIOS determine RPM.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH

I just disabled for testing purposes for right now.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to s1deout

said by s1deout:

I have a Corsair H60 for the CPU cooler with a push pull fan system mounted on the back case wall and I am using Artic Silver CPU Goo.

I have found that push/pull does not work; neither does push exhaust. The coolest temps on my H60/2600k/3770k are stock 1 x blow in. I have a top fan exhaust and 2 x Noctura blowing in.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH

1 edit

Okay. I will play around with different fan locations on the case.

So I did this:

1 Fan 4pin PWM at the top for exhaust.
1 Fan 4pin PWM on the back of the radiator pulling cold air in and across the radiator

I will have to get a fan header for the case fan to reach to the motherboard for the chassis fan 2 plug in.

The noise is steady but does not ramp up currently.

Still looking at the Yates Loons or Noctura fans to replace the ones I have right now.

Potentially thinking of switching the case to an Antec P180 I have that is taller and has better airflow as well.

Since it is the wife's PC she has authorized me to do what is necessary to make it quieter.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Noise cancelling headphones are out of the question?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to s1deout

»www.frozencpu.com/search.html?mv···0&go.y=0
--

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH

Thanks. I just ordered 3 of the Noctura one's. NF-P12-1300's

»www.frozencpu.com/products/14646···PWM.html

Lower dBA and max speed so they should perform better than what I have.

That and I got a Cooler Master Seidon 120M to replaced the 2nd hand Corsair H60 I bought used for $25.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35103179

That should do the trick.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I don't think anything is wrong with the H60, except that these sorts of closed-loop water coolers are on par with air coolers unless you run them with better fans in a push-pull config (for the 60mm rads) or in a push config (for the 120mm rads).

For instance, I use the H100, but discarded the Corsair fans that came with it and use Yate Loons instead.
--

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH

True there is probably nothing wrong with the H60 unit. I will most likely filter it down to kid's PC or sell it at the next LAN I go to in March.

From what I have read the Cooler Master Seidon 120 unit is pretty good and a step up over the H60.

So yea putting the Noctua fan on it and then using one in front and one on top in the case should solve the noise issue.

And what woman wouldn't be happy with a sexy new liquid CPU cooler for Valentines day???

Mystic95Z

join:2005-05-10
Sellersburg, IN
reply to s1deout

I have an i5 2500k running at 4.2ghz on air using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and cant even hear it at all running full load when the case is closed up.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
reply to s1deout

I finally tracked down the issue here.

I had an XFX 6870 Video card in the system. I put in the CoolerMaster Seidon 120 with the Noctura fans and I upgraded her case to the Lian-Li PC-7HX (»www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr···index=62)

CPU temps were great - ingame reaching about 92F out of game reaching about 82F. Fan noise was perfect.

Then - the fan noise took off - it was the video card. The XFX 6870 and the ATI utility showed the fan at 50% and it was LOUD.

Adjusted down to 42% and ingame the noise is acceptable.

Now I will look to either change out the card or put on an aftermarket cooler. I did some google research and saw where there are alot of people that had the same issue with the single fan XFX 6870. She had an MSI Twin Razor GTX 460 in there previous and it was dual fan whisper quiet even under game.

Might upgrade her to a 7850 from Sapphire or MSI again with the dual fan configs.