how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

holyrune

join:2013-02-13
Los Angeles, CA

[ADSL2] Recent Fusion Upgrade

I've been with DSLExtreme for 13 years. I was on the the 3.0 MBps/512 kbps plan, and was getting speeds at around 2.5 MBps/450 kbps. Recently I upgraded to the 20/1 Fusion package, and am consistenly getting 4.5 Mbps/0.8 Mbps speeds. The upload speeds seem fine, but are these download speeds accurate?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by holyrune:

I've been with DSLExtreme for 13 years. I was on the the 3.0 MBps/512 kbps plan, and was getting speeds at around 2.5 MBps/450 kbps. Recently I upgraded to the 20/1 Fusion package, and am consistenly getting 4.5 Mbps/0.8 Mbps speeds. The upload speeds seem fine, but are these download speeds accurate?

Could be. You should post the modem stats.

When I had AT&T DSL (from February, 2001 to April, 2011), I upgraded to their 3008/512 tier; which is what DSLX resells. I routinely got 2.5 down and 400 up, on a synch of 3008/512. My loop length, at that residence, was 9,156 feet, as measured by techs in the SBC Direct forum. My "noise margin" (SNR) was 11.0 dB and attenuation was 51.0 dB.

In late winter, AT&T announced their "cap-and-overage fee"; 150 GB per month and $10 per GB for going over. I shopped around, and found Sonic.net, LLC, whose "Fusion" plan, "up to" 20 Mbps, was not capped. I ported our number and signed up. On the ADSL2+ connection, our new modem shows 6.0 dB SNR, 51.0 dB attenuation, synch at 5900/450, and routinely get 4.9 Mbps down with 400 kbps up (even with AT&T my upload bins were a bit low, but I never really used that much upload, anyway). And this is now being resold by DSLX.

AT&T sells "tiers", and if your line is marginally close to their 6016/768 tier, but can't synch 6016/768 reliably, they will only offer their 3008/512 tier; and cap your modem down to that synch. Resellers of that service, such as DSLX, and even Sonic.net, LLC, can only offer what AT&T offers.

Sonic.net "Fusion" is not "AT&T resold", but a native Sonic.net service on their own hardware. "Fusion" ADSL2+ is allowed to do what DSL is designed to do, adapt to the electrical conditions of the loop, and run as fast as conditions allow: Up to 24,000 synch if conditions are right (including a very short loop). Because it uses ATM, throughput is limited by the overhead to 85% of synch; hence why it is sold as, "Up to 20 Mbps" (24,000 x 0.85 = 20,400). But longer loops get slower speeds. Your modem statistics can show if your speeds are good, or something needs to be tweaked.

I have since had to move, but can get Sonic.net "Fusion" at my new residence; on a 3,300 foot loop. Stats follow:

Stats for 'at&t Yahoo! HSI'; SpeedStream 4100.

Sonic.net

Sonic.net

The second image was taken very soon after the start of service; but has since settled out on Interleaved. First and second are on 9,156 foot loop, third is on 3,300 foot loop.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:27

Hi holyrune,

I checked your account and line settings, and yes, those speeds are fairly accurate. At the point of the modem itself, you're currently getting about 4.8-4.9 down, 1.0 up, which is why your speedtest results are showing about 4.5 down/0.8 up (actually, the downstream is doing a bit better than I would have expected; given the overhead I normally would have expected about 4.1 down). Your speeds are about what I would have predicted based on your distance.