dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

Furure of OSX - touch? - i hope not

I had some time the past month to have a touch enabled laptop on my desk next to my Imac (with a magic trackpad).

The following is MY opinion only - and I will make no comment as to windows 8 (installed on the touch laptop)

On the surface (excuse the pun), touch on a laptop/desktop sounds like a great idea. At first it was novel and it worked pretty well.

Once I started using it - things like scrollong (with touch) didnt feel natural. On the one side I had my magic trakpad - just like a touch screen except no fingerprints. After a while - it actually felt un natural to have to reach over my keyboard to touch the screen.

Eventually I found I was not longer using the touch screen and using the tiny trackpad on the laptop or the mouse. Trackpad action (as well as mouse) is a real pain for scrolling but works nicely for selecting items - actually easier than a touch screen.

Well - I gave the laptop back to the owner and now am lamenting this on my Imac. The magic trackpad is a very cool device. It completly removes the need for touch screen - I cannot think of a scenario where I would prefer to reach out and touch my screen.

Hopefully Apple chooses to stay on this path and does not go touch screen crazy.. I really hate those smudges and fingerprints

Anyone else try this side by side??
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

My ladyfriend is on the second month of her new Windows 8 laptop. Unlike most being currently marketed, it's touch screen enabled, a feature she desired. I won't go into its often confusing, unintuitive gestures, or how they appear to function in a dissimilar fashion to common commands. To these fingers it fells like light years behind the trackpad on my mid-2010 Macbook Pro.

Having mimicked her scrolling the screen to search or invoke folders, I'm of the same conclusion as you: give me a trackpad and Better Touch Tool any day!

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dellsweig

I have not played with a surface tablet yet but for purposes of an iPhone and iPad the touch interface is awesome. However, on my computer, I don't want a touchscreen interface. Now, if they made OS X in some fashion that you could choose what you wanted perhaps that would be okay but if the OS is going to be designed for a touch interface to the exclusion of non touch, I would not like it. It would take me a long time to upgrade.

andychrist

join:2005-02-12
New York, NY
reply to dellsweig

My next-door neighbor recently purchased an el cheapo windows system that came with a touch-screen monitor (and a $15 coupon to upgrade to W8, which ended up costing her $60, but I digress.) Funny thing is that not all elements on the desktop are touch-enabled (MS does not make this a secret) so it's a very mixed up bag.

I too prefer a good tracking device and keyboard when sitting at a desk and appreciate not getting finger prints all over the screen.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

I have not played with a surface tablet yet but for purposes of an iPhone and iPad the touch interface is awesome. However, on my computer, I don't want a touchscreen interface. Now, if they made OS X in some fashion that you could choose what you wanted perhaps that would be okay but if the OS is going to be designed for a touch interface to the exclusion of non touch, I would not like it. It would take me a long time to upgrade.

You make 2 good points - you touch on the Surface (or tablets in general) touch makes sense her and I use it every day on my Ipad. You also mention how you would not upgrade if OSX went this direction - that is exactly why I dd the OP!!!

MS decision to push touch on all platforms is to me a mistake. In the real world many will find that having to 'touch' the screen is an annoyance PROVIDED the OS maintains an intuitive keyboard/mouse/trakpad interface

I just hope Apple learns from this apparent UI mistake that MS is making....

I am just trying to see if others are coming to the same conclusion as me!!

PLEASE no one start the MS vrs Apple crap - this is strictly my opinion and I am not bashing/endorsing/pissing on any one OS or environment
--

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
reply to dellsweig

Truth be told, I find the Magic Mouse to be a fantastic 'hybrid' between mouse and touch. Ease of use of the mouse with gestures on top of it.

Fabulous.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

exactly. the magic mouse is great for a desktop os like OS X. Apple made it intuitive and easy to use but you can still "mouse" around. I believe that Microsoft erred with Windows 8 and its emphasis on the touchscreen. I feel that that is one of the main reasons why most people aren't switching from Win 7 to Win 8.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
reply to dellsweig

Touch is an infinitely more intuitive interface than using surrogate devices like mice and trackpads. It's the future, no doubt.

And a touch screen on a desktop computer is a pain, having to stretch out your arm and all. Yes.

This is why the desktop computer is going to die. Not the only reason, but one.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig

weird... I love touch on my surface rt, and look forward to touch on my next win laptop. Guess y'all won't love it until Apple releases the magical OSX touch version. I hear it's magical.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

said by JohnInSJ:

weird... I love touch on my surface rt, and look forward to touch on my next win laptop. Guess y'all won't love it until Apple releases the magical OSX touch version. I hear it's magical.

It amazes me that the same players chime in with their vendor bashing and arrogance....

Too bad we cant have an intelligent discussion on here - I was very careful in the OP to only discuss technologies I have ACTUALLY used side by side.

Having used both the Magic Mouse and magic trakpad on the OSX side - I personally prefer the trakpad - I understand its a personal thing and all....

The OP was about the merits/issue/etc of a touch enabled desktop/laptop as opposed to a touch enabled peripheral such as Apples magic trakpad.

If you have never used one day to day - you cannot possibly understand how it works.
--

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
reply to dellsweig

i think there is a reason why the mouse has been around for 30 plus years. It just works. I can't ever see the Steve abandoning the mouse in favor of a desktop that is limited to touchscreen. It especially would not work for many businesses.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

The OP was about the merits/issue/etc of a touch enabled desktop/laptop as opposed to a touch enabled peripheral such as Apples magic trakpad.

If you have never used one day to day - you cannot possibly understand how it works.

And shockingly I have used both, and do use both daily. I still find a touch enabled display to be VERY helpful. If you want to see what OSX looks like when it is touch enabled, look no further than your iPad.
--

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

If you want to see what OSX looks like when it is touch enabled, look no further than your iPad.

You are kidding - right?? OSX and IOS are two very different user interfaces - not even close.
--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by dellsweig:

If you want to see what OSX looks like when it is touch enabled, look no further than your iPad.

You are kidding - right?? OSX and IOS are two very different user interfaces - not even close.

But they are starting to converge.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

said by Nezmo:

said by dellsweig:

But they are starting to converge.

How so - Launchpad?? Does anyone actually ever use launchpad?? Seems more like it was added as a trial balloon type of thing....
--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by dellsweig:

How so - Launchpad?? Does anyone actually ever use launchpad?? Seems more like it was added as a trial balloon type of thing....

Yes, and gestures, etc. Obviously they are still quite different but it's obvious Apple is converging the two. Just my opinion.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to dellsweig

Not wanting to get too far into the Microsoft end of the discussion I'll just say that touch support has been in Microsoft OSes since Windows XP. So clearly the real issue with Windows 8 isn't the inclusion of touch support but rather fundamentally changing the UI itself to better work with the touch support that has been in the OS for a dogs age.

I tend to think that's the real crux of the issue here and I would agree that I wouldn't want to see drastic changes to OS X to better accommodate touch.

Having said all that, I view touch as just another way to interact with a computer or device. Therefore the inclusion of touch doesn't necessarily mean that touch is a forced issue. For example, I have an old HP Touchmart All-In-One PC which has touch support on its 22" scree but also comes with a keyboard and mouse. When using such a system no one is forced to touch the screen to accomplish a task because one can always use the keyboard and mouse.

So in the case of OS X on the iMac, (r)MBP, MBA and so on as long as traditional interface devices (keyboard / mouse trackpad) are supported and the OS itself isn't mangled I don't see the inclusion of touch as a problem.

Don't like touch, don't touch it,....

This looks like an ugly hack to me and I don't see why anyone would want to use it but perhaps someone does:

»www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/zorr···-review/

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

So, you're saying things like pinch zoom, scrolling by swiping, and other gestures that are identical in iOS and OSX (which are indeed very much based on the same code) are different?

Interesting.

And here I was thinking that even visually OSX is starting to converge with iOS - notice how the scroll bars look in OSX now? Very iOSish...
--

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

1 recommendation

reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

I can't ever see the Steve abandoning the mouse in favor of a desktop that is limited to touchscreen.

You know The Steve is dead, right?
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

I tend to think that's the real crux of the issue here and I would agree that I wouldn't want to see drastic changes to OS X to better accommodate touch.

Having said all that, I view touch as just another way to interact with a computer or device. Therefore the inclusion of touch doesn't necessarily mean that touch is a forced issue.

Exactly. Mouse, touchpad are both one step removed from actually DIRECTLY MANIPULATING the direct manipulation interface. There's nothing wrong with that, it works well if you've been sufficiently habituated to it, but its not "better" than just interacting with the elements.

Kinda like using a pen on a pressure sensitive high resolution pad vs using a pen on a pressure sensitive high resolution screen. Which do you think is better?
--