share rss forum feed

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

CVT transmission

Resurrecting an old thread...
said by PrntRhd:

"Do CVT transmission experience a higher rate of failure than regular transmissions?"
Not any more.
Nissan warranty was doubled to stop people from worrying about the newer technology.

Coworker's 2009 Nissan with 110,000 miles just left him stranded on the side of the road this morning with a failed CVT. If not for the extended warranty, it would cost $4,200 to repair. He still has to get the car towed to the dealer.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Better than Chrysler's history... by a few 10K miles...

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Bob4
A part failed after 110k miles? Shocking.

Newsflash - Normal transmissions fail around this time too based on the driver.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Bob4
Gee, what a scary story...he still has 40,000 miles left on the warranty.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Gordo74
I don't know that a $4,200 repair (even if covered by warranty) at 110,000 miles should be considered normal.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Bob4
So at what mileage would ANYONE consider abnormal transmission failure?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to Bob4
The new tranny in the T&C I had was $3800 and that tranny died in less than a year. The original tranny did not go 65K miles -so 110K AND covered by warranty is GREAT.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
I agree but after getting the tranny repaired, OP tell you friend to start putting away money for a new car.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

The extended warranty is only for 120,000 miles total.

I also question the designers who put a $4,200 item that cannot be repaired, only replaced, in the car. What do you do when the car's only worth $4,000 and the transmission breaks, junk the car?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
If you can get another 100K miles out of it - to me that is a decent buy for $4K unless the body is crap.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Bob4
For comparison, a tranny in a friend's '92 Chevy Corsica failed at 38k, also around the 4 year mark. He was kinda (?!) pissed about that.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

Newsflash - Normal transmissions fail around this time too based on the driver.

Really? Well, you did qualify your answer with "based on the driver" , but I must have overly high expectations of an automatic transmission as I expect it to last far longer than 110K miles.

Actually, I expect it (with decent care and driving) to last the life if the vehicle which is far longer than 110K miles. It isn't like we are not talking about pickups used as snow plows here.

I can think of some unmentioned car companies that have the mindset that tranny replacement at 125K miles is a given norm, but many other makes magically don't have such premature failures-even when abused.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I have known to many that have had autos replaced or rebuilt previous to 100K miles - it is not funny. The only one I consider lifetime is a manual - less parts, less prone to be wrecked (even if abused)..

Hell - some companies think 60K miles with a failure is perfectly fine.

I have had 2 autos fail in less than 65K miles and one that lasted 107K miles before I sold the car. No idea if it needed to be rebuilt after I sold it. I have had 5 or 6 cars with manuals - 0 manual transmissions worked on so far. Replaced 2 clutches - that is it in 30 years of driving cars.

One other thing - if the automatic fails - it fails and in VERY rare occiasions the car can be driven for a few miles (I have experience with this on 2 transmissions). If a manual fails - vast majority of the time - it can still be driven for many more miles.
--
Brian

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by PrntRhd:

I also question the designers who put a $4,200 item that cannot be repaired, only replaced, in the car. What do you do when the car's only worth $4,000 and the transmission breaks, junk the car?

OK, 120K.
Still it was covered and replaced with a brand new transmission, which should give that customer another 110K of service, Nissan does not attempt to rebuild them.

Contrast that to my stepdaughter's 2002 Taurus. Had 102K on it, had the transmission input shaft strip at the torque converter and was NOT covered by Ford at all even though that year was well known for that failure. Car was previously my wife's and was not abused.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to CylonRed
I would figure in a normal car with a stick shift the clutch is the primary point of failure.

As for advanced sports cars, I have no clue if the paddle shift cars use a clutch like a manual or a torque converter like an auto. Which is why I am always confused as to weather they are a manual transmission or an automatic that lets the driver override the shifting.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
The clutch is the main failure but most clutches last 100K+ miles unless the driver is bad... I believe my BMW is on the original clutch (though I bought it used - no way to know for sure) and it has 170K miles. My brother got just under 200K miles in his Jeep.

As for the paddle shifters... Yes - it is hard to tell as they both exist. If it is a 'regular' sedan - it is a true automatic. I believe the key point is the dual clutch transmission:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutc ··· smission

quote:
A dual-clutch transmission, (DCT) (sometimes referred to as a twin-clutch gearbox or double-clutch transmission), is a type of semi-automatic or automated manual automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches[1] for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit.[2][3] They are usually operated in a fully automatic mode, and many also have the ability to allow the driver to manually shift gears,[1] albeit still carried out by the transmission's electro-hydraulics.
This can also have a automatic setting but it is the 'regular' clutches that are actuated.
--
Brian

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by PrntRhd:

Yes, it's what happened to my '93 (140k city miles). I would never buy a manual though for the fact that shifting is a pain.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
said by sk1939:

I would never buy a manual though for the fact that shifting is a pain.

Oh, no... Here we go again!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Bob4:

said by sk1939:

I would never buy a manual though for the fact that shifting is a pain.

Oh, no... Here we go again!

I live literally in the city, and before that I lived in a city with severe hills (SF) so yes, it was a problem. Beyond that I don't care what everyone else drives, it's my opinion.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
I can't imagine driving in San Francisco with a stick.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I can - really easy in a Subaru with hill holder... Easy even without hill holder.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

I don't know that a $4,200 repair (even if covered by warranty) at 110,000 miles should be considered normal.

not really a well taken care of Nissan automatic transmission will last for ever.

dad has 204,000 miles on the original transmission & engine.

Still shift smoothly like the first day he had the car (he bought it at 5 miles)

5 set of tires
67 oil changes
6 belts replaced
3 radiator flushes
4 batteries
1 set of headlights(got fogged up.)
4 air cabin filter changes
2 air filter changes (K&N reusable)
6 brake light bulb changes

still has the original headlight bulb on the passenger side
and the original fog light bulbs

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Bob4
I was driving a stick in Seattle (which is rather hilly in some places) that didn't even have a working parking brake, so I had to shift rather quickly on uphill.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to Bob4
MY 2006 Town and Country has 135k on it. EXCLUDING all of the luxury electrical failures (which is why I tell people to RUN NOT WALK AWAY) I have only had to replace the water pump at 128k for seep hole leak/bearing failure. When purchased I put a RV cooler on that van and the fluid has been replaced every 25k.She's paid off...I'll run her till the wheels fall off now!(whick isnt gonna be long I imagine)

On my 2000 Chevy Silverafo is on 1 fuel pump and 210k.Oh yeah, I replaced the cig lighter and the horn doesnt work.

I think its a split between luck of the purchase and owner maint. The truck has a drain on the tranny and every oil change 5 quarts of fresh tranny fluid go in.It also got an RV cooler on the AT when bought.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Bob4
Just to follow up on this... The guy's car failed Wednesday morning. He got it towed to the dealer Wednesday afternoon.

The dealer got a replacement transmission very quickly and installed it on Thursday. They also did the work for an exhaust manifold recall, the 105k mile service, and washed the car, all by close of business on Thursday. Very good service from the Nissan dealer. The new transmission has a 12,000 mile warranty, so that will last him 6 months.

From what I see about CVT transmissions, I would never get a car with one unless I was sure I'd sell/trade the car before the transmission warranty ran out.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
I have three cars with CVTs, we shall see how they last.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to DeltaElite
I think I have lost the cig lighter in every car I have owned. Mostly because I usually toss it into the glove box or console and then plug something useful into the power jack. Over the years it likely gets vacuumed up by accident.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to Bob4
my cvt was going tits up before I got rid of my caliber. Had 140k miles on it tho (50k of those miles were mine). I've heard the cvt is better in Nissans than other makes.
--
| map your city |

shdesigns