Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Alcohol

Mod

to Alcohol

Re: HBO to Let Subscribers Stream HBO Go to TV Over AirPlay

That's.. impressive.

It's 2013. I can stream whatever movie I want right now from Netflix or Hulu.

Are there exclusives or something?

agrall
join:2000-09-29
Saint Paul, MN

agrall

Cord-cutting sounds VERY tempting...

Until I consider the NFL. Gotta have my Packers games...
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

That's.. impressive.

HBO is more known for its original programming than its movie catalog these days.

Anyway, I tested the app last night and it outputs 5.1 DD sound on streams that support it, which is nice. I notice no difference in quality from live broadcasts and streams from the app.

Between the WatchESPN App, CNN App and HBO Go, all of the pieces necessary to have an a la carte cable package are there, if they'd just allow them (which they never will without force of law)

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

That's.. impressive.

Actually...you can't...unless your taste in movies is severely limited. There's still tons of stuff that isn't available on Netflix--you still have to order the discs to see most of what they offer. Hulu is a pain because of all of the ads that they push at you. Sure...I know that there's no such thing as "free" content anymore, but I'd still like to watch a film in its entirety without interruptions.

Good to hear about HBO. HBO is the only service that I will pay for. I don't even bother watching it "live" now--I just fire up HBO Go and watch what I want whenever I want.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

That's.. impressive.

Yes. As Daemon mentioned, HBO is better (or at least as well) known for its original programming. To mention just a few that are current:

Game of Thrones
Boardwalk Empire
True Blood
Girls

(I watch the first three)

As for past series, there have been a couple of gems that you might have heard of, such as The Sopranos.

There are also some excellent documentaries, such as the currently running Mea Maxima Culpa, about the first-known public protest against clerical sexual abuse.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

To those that might not know...HBO GO has a much more extensive offering than HBO On Demand.
For example, while On Demand might have Sopranos season 4 episodes 1-8....HBO GO will have every episode from every season.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
Haven't cared about their orig programming since Sopranos and Rome.