uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rigor_M

join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC
reply to darkrabbit

Re: Bell FTTH question

said by darkrabbit:

Do you mean with TV AND Internet or with Internet only? There are a number of threads where people got it to work Internet only I believe simply by spoofing the MAC and tagging outbound traffic on 35...

So from here, if for TV and Internet I MUST keep it inline, the question is how to get PPPoE passthrough working?

-J

Thats just it, you cant.. now without activating another port on the ONT..

for internet + TV, if you remove the PPPoE login from the sagemcom, you wont get VoD + apps working on the TV.. and removing the sagemcom from port 1 of the ONT, then, you wont get TV period.

Bell has squized the ball on this one.. they made sure that WE HAVE to use there equipement and nothing else.

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
VOD will work even without PPPoE in the sagemcom.
--
Rogers - iPhone 4s 32gb

Rigor_M

join:2010-09-26
Quebec, QC
Did not work last time i made some tests.

when saying VOD, I mean by that, all subscribed channel that also have vod like Prise2, SE, Casa, etc...

I did not try to rend a movie.

Also, Galaxie music did not work (not the channel but the apps) -- that one maks more sens that it did'nt work

darkrabbit

join:2012-12-12
That blows I couldn't possibly care less about Bell's "Apps" but VOD is used quite often.

Well what I've done in the meantime is drop my FW in the DMZ, which works very well actually. IPSec and SSL VPN works fine. I have IPSec working from my PA firewall to a Fortigate at my colo, and client IPSec and SSL VPN works fine inbound to the firewall. I am a little surprised it was that easy... usually IPSec gets upset when NATed.

So in and out work great, and I get full speed. I still use my own VoIP solution which needs a public IP as well, and that I can't get from Bell so I am keeping a basic Rogers cable internet service for now. Oh well, it's useful for redundancy.

Rogers is piloting fibre now as well though. 250 / 250! And if it works anything like their cable modems and they come to my area, Bell will be gone VERY quickly.

-J

cataplexy

join:2013-01-27
Quebec, QC
For FTTH 50/50, is the IP static or dynamic?

darkrabbit

join:2012-12-12
Dynamically assigned once you connect via PPPoE. When you disconnect PPPoE and reconnect, you'll get a new IP.

Rogers is dynamic as well but I kept the same IP for a year and a half, regardless of any power outages. They use DHCP.

So with Bell, if you want to keep the IP for a while, I'd highly recommend slapping the modem on a UPS so you don't drop your PPPoE connection.

-J

johoja

join:2010-11-09
What's the best way to get my pFsense to work correctly using just the ONT , and getting rid of the sagecom, is it possible ?

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
1st, dont call them for support if you have issue.. they will tell you to put back the Sagemcom.. and if you have TV, forget the removal of the Sagemcom...

Internet is on Vlan35.. you then know what to do on pfsense