uniqs
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1 to Sentinel

to Sentinel

Re: Why is this software dangerous?

Your impression is correct .
NirSoft does have other utilities that do " decrypt " passwords , but this one does not.

Just to throw out another thought about why a lot of anti-virus companies flag his utilities , might it have anything to do with the fact that they make it easy to track just what the programs are doing ?
Na that couldn't have anything to do with it , all anti-virus companies are completely honest and above board
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Yeah, I definitely see that some of the tools there I don't want, like or need. And I could see how having them on your system could be a danger if you are not aware and sufficiently knowledgeable.

But what was confusing to me was that this particular tool seems totally harmless. All it appears to do is what any built in wifi nic tool does, only better and more thorough. So I could not for the life of me see why this particular tool was being flagged as being even simply potentially unwanted. I just don't see how it can be used maliciously any more than your standard wifi searching tool that comes with your NIC.

So I thought that this tool must have some other use that I am unaware of or the tool itself must be infected with some other hidden software that does something else.
However it is becoming increasingly clear to me by what many have stated here, that it looks as though this tool is only being flagged because the manufacturer of this tool has other tools which could be harmful. That seems kind of inaccurate to me.