All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

LL NY
@verizon.net

LL NY

Anon

Dd anyone notice new firmware update? (DVR)

Just noticed today that the settings for the DVR are a bit different today (ie - now says Manage Series Recordings instead of Series Manager).

Anyone notice this? If so, any new features or functionality that might be helpful?

Bob09
@verizon.net

Bob09

Anon

Noticed the same thing. Havent really noticed any new functionality or features except the ability to export series data to the cloud. Not sure if thats new or just havent noticed it before
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to LL NY

to LL NY
More than likely not a FW update, Verizon has the ability to change the menus around w/o pushing out an update. Think of it as a webpage where you update the page and then all browsers see the updated wording (I know that's not what it is, but essentially the same idea).
jpspeno
join:2006-06-08
Cherry Hill, NJ

jpspeno to LL NY

to LL NY
Yes. FWIW, my System Information says release 1.9.1, build number 14.47, data object version number 34.47.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to kes601

to kes601
Correct. I'm looking into why this changed.
said by kes601:

More than likely not a FW update, Verizon has the ability to change the menus around w/o pushing out an update. Think of it as a webpage where you update the page and then all browsers see the updated wording (I know that's not what it is, but essentially the same idea).

zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7 to Bob09

to Bob09
said by Bob09 :

Noticed the same thing. Havent really noticed any new functionality or features except the ability to export series data to the cloud. Not sure if thats new or just havent noticed it before

The export to the cloud thing has been there for awhile, the menu changes however are new.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler

Anon

I have noticed this as well.

Things I do not know what they specifically do, bc to me, they do the same thing: Fix FiOS TV Issues, Reboot STB, and Auto Fix MRDVR Issues.

To me, all perform the same task. Why have 3 of them, when one is enough?

Unless I am missing something they all 3 perform something more in depth, idk.

Any clarification on this , would be appreciated.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Webcobbler,

Fix FiOS TV Issues runs a troubleshooter for more in-depth problems.

Reboot STB simply reboots the STB without any attempted fixes, although it can fix problems like simple glitches.

Auto Fix MRDVR Issues runs a specific troubleshooter for Multi-room DVR issues.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to LL NY

Premium Member

to LL NY
I did notice that "Scheduled Recordings" (what's set up to record) and "View Recordings" (watch what you've already recorded) are now quite a bit apart on the menu, making navigation a little more difficult, but why pick nits, huh?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by miataman:

I did notice that "Scheduled Recordings" (what's set up to record) and "View Recordings" (watch what you've already recorded) are now quite a bit apart on the menu, making navigation a little more difficult, but why pick nits, huh?

My impression is that whoever sets up the menus (how the items are worded and their order) NEVER seeks input from us customers. They just throw darts at the wall.

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by PJL:

My impression is that whoever sets up the menus (how the items are worded and their order) NEVER seeks input from us customers. They just throw darts at the wall.

Funny you should say that. I worked for VZ for "many years". We often threw darts on our breaktime. Practice, maybe?
Gerryex
join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL

Gerryex to jpspeno

to jpspeno
said by jpspeno:

Yes. FWIW, my System Information says release 1.9.1, build number 14.47, data object version number 34.47.

Yes, I have the same numbers, but also noticed a change in the menu items. I also noticed that my 7232 (I only have the one) seems a little sluggish starting about a day or so ago. Sometimes when I am using the remote's down channel button to browse channels the DVR doesn't see the signal. I can see that the power button does NOT blink. Simply sending another button press then works like normal. But it never used to do this. I used to push the down channel rapidly and it never missed anything. Also the new channel seems to take a bit longer to come up.

In summary, the whole DVR seems a bit sluggish than it was in the past. Anyone else notice it?

Gerry
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to LL NY

to LL NY
I noticed this last night, the scheduled recordings and view recordings are now the first two in that order

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to PJL

Anon

to PJL
Thanks , PJL
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to LL NY

to LL NY
No change here in VHO4.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to LL NY

Premium Member

to LL NY
I'm in VHO4 with a 7232 and am seeing the new menu text and options on the DVR screen. That's the only menu I access regularly, so I probably wouldn't notice any other changes.

My box did not reboot over the past few days (I leave it on all the time), so this wasn't a firmware update, or if it was, it didn't require a reboot of the box.
DAVIDGR
join:2005-03-08
Mount Pleasant, SC

DAVIDGR to LL NY

to LL NY
So what does "export series data to the cloud" do? I'm hoping it enables the cloning of series manager to a new dvr so we don't have to go thru the cumbersome add series process when we replace or add dvrs. But I don't see any options to download series data from the cloud.

Any ideas?

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by DAVIDGR:

But I don't see any options to download series data from the cloud.Any ideas?

You would see the option if you plugged in a "new" DVR, I believe.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

If you go to System Information and press the Info button on the remote, you get stats on the channel you are watching without having to go to the hidden menu.

dvrcloud
@208.87.249.x

dvrcloud to DAVIDGR

Anon

to DAVIDGR
I swapped out a DVR recently. Prior to swapping it out, I did export the series data to the cloud. When I hooked up the new DVR, it didn't have a menu option to restore it. I called tech support who had no idea what I was talking about.

So I decided I would start manually adding recordings in, and as soon as I took the steps to record a series, a window popped up asking if I wanted to restore my series from the cloud, and it worked perfectly.
said by DAVIDGR:

So what does "export series data to the cloud" do? I'm hoping it enables the cloning of series manager to a new dvr so we don't have to go thru the cumbersome add series process when we replace or add dvrs. But I don't see any options to download series data from the cloud.

Any ideas?

blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by dvrcloud :

So I decided I would start manually adding recordings in, and as soon as I took the steps to record a series, a window popped up asking if I wanted to restore my series from the cloud, and it worked perfectly.

Exactly, there is no menu item for importing the series recordings from the cloud. I found this out when google sent me to another Verizon forum but there is no way you'd ever figure this out on your own unless, as you did, you started the process of recreating series recordings.

A very useful feature implemented in a very strange way.

Photoman15
join:2000-06-12
Brooklyn, NY

Photoman15 to miataman

to miataman
This is a pain. What idiot menu designer separated them like that? I hope they put them back the way they were. Is there anyone we can contact about that?

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to LL NY

to LL NY
Yes, Scheduled recordings being so far away is really bad...
VZ please change this .
the set once & forget "Settings" is front & center, while scheduled recordings is relatively is buried ... ???
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16 to LL NY

to LL NY
Is this a FW update or just a rewording of the menus? Last time VZ did a FW update it really messed up one box at my parents house. After all the treaties were signed after WW III broke out we finally got things working again. I do not think I could deal with that again...
O1OOO1O
join:2005-12-23
Lewisville, TX

O1OOO1O

Looks like just a DVR menu re-order, I see no changes in loaded firmware (25.39) or loaded app (14.47) [at least for myself in VHO1].

When I launch the DVR menu, the highlighted option is View Recordings, and instead of Scheduled Recordings sitting right underneath it - it has been moved all the way to the top of the menu. Refresh Devices has been moved down a couple slots also.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to LL NY

to LL NY
Can't say the reorder bothers me in the least. Don't think I'd have even noticed had it not been for this thread.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to LL NY

to LL NY
The change is server side and can be modified at anytime. The order and verbiage can be put back today if they wanted.

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by nascar:

The change is server side and can be modified at anytime. The order and verbiage can be put back today if they wanted.

Well, I've created a post asking about this in the "Verizon Direct" forum. I'll keep this thread updated.
blueribbon8
join:2002-02-12
Fairless Hills, PA

blueribbon8 to LL NY

to LL NY
I noticed this menu order change a couple days ago and the thing that really bothers me is the placement of "Scheduled Recordings". It's now at the top of the list and takes extra time to get there.

Verizon is now starting to force feed their ads that appear every Friday when you press the DVR button for the first time. The button delay is up to 20 seconds and then you have to press EXIT to kill the ads before getting to the DVR menu.

Come on Verizon. We don't want no stinkin' ads
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by blueribbon8:

I
Verizon is now starting to force feed their ads that appear every Friday when you press the DVR button for the first time. The button delay is up to 20 seconds and then you have to press EXIT to kill the ads before getting to the DVR menu.

That can be turned off in Settings.