uniqs
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to DAOWAce

to DAOWAce

Arris modems NOT out of sync - it's just DHCP renewal, doods

said by DAOWAce:

I've gotten these every so often, along with T3 timeouts, for years.

Still don't know what causes it, but most of the time there's no issues.

This entire thread is misnamed and severely misleading.
There's no sync loss of the OP's modem - all you have are DHCP renew warnings because your specific modem and/or firmware does not support a DHCP option that other modems/firmware do: it's non-parity of features, plain and simple:

This is not a failure of any kind, but OP complaining about it amounts to the equivalent of being a GWF (goober with firewall): complaining about something you believe to be concerning/alarming/horribly wrong without the slightest shred of understanding what you have in front of you.

People working for any type of Internet network-supporting organization get some good laughs out of GWFs all the time- especially when they are spewing and screaming in all directions when their firewall reported a ping from an IP they don't recognize.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

said by cablewizzard:

There's no sync loss of the OP's modem - all you have are DHCP renew warnings because your specific modem and/or firmware does not support a DHCP option that other modems/firmware do: it's non-parity of features, plain and simple:

Ok, so if this is your position, then perhaps you can explain why every modem CV has given us has done the same thing. Either there's something wrong with their modems that can't handle the DHCP options, or maybe their infrastructure is not programmed properly. It's not like we can change the firmware on the modem.

Keep in mind that the details I posted came from the modem logs, not my firewall. I never mentioned what was going on with my firewall.

I was just trying to come to terms with why we see semi-continual brief disruption of signal.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard

said by momcat1:

said by cablewizzard:

Ok, so if this is your position, then perhaps you can explain why every modem CV has given us has done the same thing. Either there's something wrong with their modems that can't handle the DHCP options, or maybe their infrastructure is not programmed properly. It's not like we can change the firmware on the modem.

Keep in mind that the details I posted came from the modem logs, not my firewall. I never mentioned what was going on with my firewall.

I was just trying to come to terms with why we see semi-continual brief disruption of signal.

Your original post states you are seeing the informational message at 17:22 every 2 days, not that you're losing sync at 17:22 every 2 days: You are confused about 2 completely separate things, and are making completely unsupported, wild guesses about it:

No, there's nothing wrong with their modems or the DHCP options - you simply DON'T customize every available DHCP extension option for every device class you have. Imagine you had to do that on your home router for every i-Device, Windows-PC or Ebook-reader: The Arris modem is chatty about 'informational' msgs, while other modems, like the Cisco DPX/DPC2203 are dead+cold on details in their logs. Guess which one I prefer. And yes, if all they've given you lately are Arris modems (TM802, 822), then you'll get the same behavior with each of them.

IF you were losing sync, your modem will re-DHCP as part of the init sequence, and you'll see the 'informational' msgs after a DHCP-DISCOVER just like after a -RENEWAL : your log would start showing the messages at different/random times, if this was the case: Arris modems do not log an unambigious "startup" event, unlike say: Motorola modems (many logs for which we've seen here over the years).

Hmm, maybe CV should turn the modems' web pages back off, so this useless chatter about technical details that go above the non-technical heads comes to an end - after all, your iPad doesn't let you see its system logs either.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

What iPad?

I don't and I won't have an i-anything, and I guess you can make your case by assuming anything you want. GIGO

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian

Premium Member

said by momcat1:

What iPad?

I don't and I won't have an i-anything, and I guess you can make your case by assuming anything you want. GIGO

you missed the point entirely.