... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to newgame1978

Re: [Equipment] Does the Cisco BWX-8300 require AAA + Cisco GPS

said by newgame1978:

We're looking into purchasing a Cisco BWX-8300 in anticipation of the FCC decision that the 3.4-3.6GHz will soon be open for public use ... we do not own a Cisco BWX 8303 Basestation Timing System and are looking to avoid that purchase.

Cisco website makes it clear that you have to buy the 8303 for the 8300. But one timing unit can support 2 base stations.

said by newgame1978:

As I said, we're a fan of the "all in one" systems

It almost seems to me that you would rather deploy the Tranzeo "all in one" system which runs 802.16D.

P.S. You should wait for the FCC decision and remember that actual deployments could be delayed by many months from decision date. Think back to TV whitespace.

newgame1978

join:2003-09-11
Miami Beach, FL
Thanks for your (extremely) rapid reply. Hearing that the unit does not require the use of an ASN is extremely encouraging.

Is the GPS clocking the only requirement standing in the way of this and if so, are there any possible alternatives to the Cisco unit that exist?

Since we're starting out with a single BTS deployment to test out the propogation differences between this and the Tranzeo moddels, it would be ideal if the unit would run without.

Once again, thanks for the information!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
said by newgame1978:

Since we're starting out with a single BTS deployment to test out the propogation differences between this and the Tranzeo moddels, it would be ideal if the unit would run without.

You have to ask the FAE. My hunch is that Cisco firmware can be configured (with hidden options) to allow you to test only the BTS.

However, if your main goal is to compare "propagation differences" with some Tranzeo Wimax model, you don't even need to bother ... the Cisco will win hands down because of much better RF front-end and antenna array design. Cisco does not embellish specs either: »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···408.html

Wavesat of Montreal, who provided the wimax chipset used by Tranzeo, was purchased by Cavium and I recall Tranzeo was delisted from stock markets. So it may not be a good bet for a future wimax network. My guess is that some overseas operators (specially in India) chose Tranzeo mainly because of low cost and maybe that "all-in-one" convenience.