IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Winning the war on Cord Cutters

They should waive caps if the subscriber subscribes to expanded basic or higher. I'd be bored without cable. I like to watch Fox News, Weather Channel, and other things.

The reason broadband prices are lower if you subscribe to cable or phone is they still have the same infrastructure costs whether the subscriber is an HSI only customer or subscribes to all the services offered by the MSO so their business model is cable TV subsidizes broadband.

I tried Netflix and I never used it. I found the cable boxes getting more use.

In my opinion I think Netflix is engaged in unfair competition as they are piggybacking on Comcast's infrastructure offering Pay TV at a much lower price than Comcast even though Comcast has the costs of maintaining infrastructure. It would be like Amazon selling electronics in a Best Buy store (using their floor space) at half the price of Best Buy and not paying Best Buy for use of their floor space. There are two forms of competition, fair (which is ethical) and unfair (which is unethical).
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

I see where you're going but your analogy doesn't hold up. At best, Netflix using Comcast's connection to provide user-requested content is akin to someone having a package ordered from Amazon delivered to them in Best Buy's parking lot.

An ISP is paid to be a dumb pipe and provide data requested by their users - their customers. It doesn't matter whether this data is a web page, a YouTube video, a Netflix movie, or anything else. Allowing ISPs to build walled gardens (or, in this case, "paywalled gardens") violates the basic principles of network neutrality.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

He'll never get that. Every post related to cable, he posts the same thing.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

to NOVA_UAV_Guy
said by NOVA_UAV_Guy:

I see where you're going but your analogy doesn't hold up. At best, Netflix using Comcast's connection to provide user-requested content is akin to someone having a package ordered from Amazon delivered to them in Best Buy's parking lot.

The parking lot is still Best Buy's Private* property and it would be reasonably and legal to charge Amazon (or fedX) a fee for using it for delivery

The argument against Netflix was really about their CDN provider L3 which attempted to avoid standard port cost by mixing their transit business with their CDN business.
Netflix's didn't really do anything wrong (other than believe/back L3's bluff to provide CDN services so much cheaper than others in the market.
The ISP (ComCast in that case) wasn't as dumb a pipe as you believe and resisted funneling Netflix's deliver costs through L3 to ALL CC customers, rather than the relatively few(at that time) that actually used Netflix, CC saw the future where everyone's transit and CDN costs were pushed to end users equally, rather than the individuals paying for outside services paying the full cost INCLUDING delivery.

Think of an apt. complex that pays for every tenant's deliveries and then bills the average amount to ALL tenants, heavy users love it, those in the small apts(low tiers) who order little or nothing are subsidizing the shop/ship-o-holics in the other units.
Hardly the fairness the Network Neutrality implies.

*actually a mall/land leasing company which charges BB a high cost per square foot for exclusive use of the store and semi exclusive use of X number of nearby parking spots FedX could contract with them directly, but BB would want to pay less for the parking lot.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Piggybacking?

Do you ever post anything that makes any sense? The internet is a collection of nodes. Peers. Netflix has to pay for their internet service to connect to other nodes. Comcast subscribers have to pay for their internet service to connect to other nodes.

Comcast subscribers transfer data from Netflix's nodes, in addition to many others. Netflix sends data to Comcast subscriber's nodes, in addition to many others. Your analogies about Amazon and Best Buy are ridiculous and nonsensical. I would try reading a book about the history of the internet, how it got started and how it works.

By your logic, dial-up internet providers were engaged in unfair competition with the ILEC, because some people may have used their internet connection for voice chat.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

The whole discussion is silly. Ide be willing to bet most people that subscribe to netflix also subscribes to cable tv. I know i do along with every single person i know also does. In other words netflix doesnt hardly compete with cable tv. I know maybe 10 to 15 people that use netflix. Every single one of them also subscribes to cable tv.

tonyT
@comcast.net

tonyT

Anon

don't bet on it...haven't had ctv in my house in 3 yrs..and don't miss it!
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Didnt say everybody i said most. Sit back and think how many have rokus and such. At best netflix replaces premium stations. Most of netflix offerings are old or border on the very old when your dealing with streaming. Hell RedBox kicks netflix streaming ass. Now netflix mailing program thats pretty dam good when it comes to releases and dates.