TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to QuantumPimp

Re: Bravo Distributel!

You're twisting my words, as you have in other threads.

And making rather clueless assumptions too.

I have not said it is the sole responsibility of a Canadian consumer to protect their privacy but they share the same responsibility. A lot of anger towards TekSavvy is because people expected TekSavvy to launch legal action on a cause that is not theirs directly. They are NOT a law firm. They are NOT a civil rights group. They are NOT a consumer group. They are NOT a think tank

What I am saying is that is neither right or wrong to do what TekSavvy is doing or what Distributel is doing. Distribuel 180 degree stance now is admirable (but I myself question the motivation).

We already expect all TPIA to fight for against things like UBB, throttling, fair data usage, pricing, competition in the broadband access market. Now we want to become legal experts and fight in the courts too? That wasn't what they sold you, and I challenge you prove me wrong with a ToS from ANY ISP.

You are right about one thing, there is a special relationship between the ISP and the customer because of the sensitive data they are preview too. And that was is PIPEDA is there for. Their responsibility is to safeguard their database so that unauthorized eyes dont ever see that data. This includes safeguarding from external attacks (something many companies have failed if you've kept up with companies like Sony being breached). And they did fulfll their end of the bargain by not handing any information to Voltage. They told them to go to the courts where a Judge can decide if Voltage's motion has any merit (for the record, I believe the don't).

You forget there is legislation there for a reason, to settle disputes and crimes.

Someone commits a crime against you (assault, robbery, B&E, etc). Do you become a vigilante and take the law into your own hands? Do you conduct your own investigation to identify a masked assailant? No, you report it the police.

TekSavvy has sent Voltage to the courts where matters like these belong. And there are groups like the CPPIC that are made of citizens who do care about the privacy of all Canadians and are willing use their own time and resources to fight against Voltage. Instead of just sitting in a chair slandering an company on a forum.