how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kryxal

join:2013-02-13
Toronto, ON

Problems on ADSL with Execulink

My home connection is currently down, and has been for a day and a half. It's not the first time this has happened, either ... about 2 weeks ago, I was offline for 3 days. I was hoping somebody could help me with at least a guess as to what's wrong.

Now, the details:

I currently have two modems (only one in use at a time), a TP-Link TD-8616 and a Tenda W300D. As best I can tell (and I've checked the config and statistics on both, not to mention having to set up the Tenda as a router in the first place) communications to this point is just fine. The problem is, since a "port error" (which I've since learned is sort of a catch-all term, apparently), I haven't been able to log in, the TP-link gives error 678 and the Tenda just sits at "connecting" in the WAN info. From my end and the ISP's end, it seems my modem has a carrier, but it's getting no further.

I've attempted pulling the plug on the phone line for 15+ minutes, connecting without phones or filter on the line, basically whatever I could think of between modem/router and my jack. Execulink tech support has no idea, a Bell tech was out after the last problem resolved itself and found nothing up to the building so another attempt is going to be expensive, and it was suggested I get somebody to check the inside wiring (apartment building, so "inside" is the WHOLE building, not something I could access at all).

I don't suppose anybody has any ideas? I'm on the verge of throwing up my hands and dodging the whole issue by going with Rogers cable, if I can, just to avoid the ADSL lines. I hate intermittent problems!

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
Did you try connecting to the 2 modems from another computer just to see if there is no issue with the existing one?

Kryxal

Toronto, ON
reply to Kryxal
I only have the one computer, so it's not something I can switch out for tests, but the Tenda modem/router was set up to log in itself which left my computer out of the loop save for checking the diagnostics at 192.168.1.1.

I should have thought to take screen-dumps of everything I could find last night, I won't be able to give numbers till tomorrow as things stand.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
Few weeks ago I had a similar issue with a Tenda W300D. Whatever address I would put in the Firefox or Chrome, it was always redirected to the modem login 192.168.1.1 ...

I did a factory reset and then I re-entered my username and passw and it worked ...

Is your DSL light steady green? Are you sure you have the right username - passw?

The TP-Link TD-8616 is modem only, you cannot program it with username - passw. You need to use it with a router OR alone by creating a dialer with the username -passw

Kryxal

Toronto, ON

2 edits
reply to Kryxal
Prior to the 3-day disconnect about 2 weeks ago, I didn't have the Tenda modem/router, I bought it on the Sunday of that. I have entered and re-entered the username/password to the router, and it was working for a few weeks prior to this episode anyway (I was actively online when the connection died, my first hint was nobody seeming to talk on TeamSpeak). The 192.168.1.1 is because I directly entered that, it was working fine otherwise before. For the Tenda, my computer talks to the router and things work (or not, currently), for the TP-Link, I re-configure the local area connection and use a dialer (it's been setup for a while, or there's another one, test@test).

Anyway, LAN#1 is steady green, DSL is steady green, SYS is blinking green, POWER is steady green, everything else is off (unless I re-do the username/PW and the Tenda decides to turn on wireless again, at which point I go turn it off, don't need it).

Edit: never mind, I'm going to switch to a cable service, I don't trust my ADSL anymore what with the current problems.

2nd edit: connection is back, no action taken on either end...

Netfox
Premium
join:2008-07-17
One possibility is your upload occupancy is high and is randomly knocking you offline. If it's near to or at 100% it can cause problems similar to what you're describing. And would be my guess if you're experiencing the same issue with both modems. It would be worth having Exec check the line stats, you may need to have your upload rate dropped to stabilize the line.

Error 678 is common with the 8616 if you're trying to connect through the dialer on Windows 7. Doesn't like those for some reason. Better to try a standalone router with it.

Netfox
Premium
join:2008-07-17
I am of course assuming you're running W7 though in this instance...

Kryxal

Toronto, ON
reply to Kryxal
I should have mentioned, I'm using Windows XP Pro. Also, the Tenda is a router/modem, and was attempting to authenticate, failing to do so for two days straight (more or less). Sometime on Wednesday, the problem just went away, no apparent reason. Suffice to say, it's corrected, but since it's not FIXED, I don't trust it to remain so.