Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

How do I set up a VPN (set one up, not connect to one)?

Maybe I can't come up with the right search terms for Google, but when I try to search for setting up a VPN on my Mountain Lion equipped iMac, all I get are instructions on how to connect to one.

What I'd like to do, if it's possible, is connect via VPN to my iMac at home. Is this doable within the operating system, or would I need to install some kind of application on my iMac?

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:2

Connect to it from another Mac?

»support.apple.com/kb/HT4907

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

I wouldn't necessarily be connecting from another Mac. Basically, and maybe a VPN is overkill for this, I want to be able to connect to the internet via my home connection as if I were located there. I don't necessarily need access to my home files or applications, etc.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:2

Different story, then.

You could upgrade your iMac to OS X Server ($19.99, App Store) to use the in-built VPN server ... that, combined with a dynamic DNS service should do the trick.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Styvas

Does your router support a VPN? That would be the esiest way.

If not, look into openvpn, I think it can be set up on a Mac.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

My router is an Airport Extreme base station. I'll have to look into it, but I doubt it's supported on the router.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

It looks like that's a no, but I'm going to explore this once I'm home. I think the article is a bit old, so it may be no longer relevant in Mountain Lion. We'll see.

»netputing.com/applications/vpn-activator/