uniqs
share rss forum feed

Brian_M

join:2004-06-19
Manchester, GA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Windstream

Windstream trying to ban municipal ISP options in GA...

Per the front page:

»Windstream, AT&T Aim to Keep Georgia at 1.5 Mbps

Please, GA folks, call your local reps and complain. There is *NO* reason for a law that removes the option for a local municipal to install their own ISP, should they desire. Er, let me rephrase that, there is no 'good for the consumer' reason.

Call, email, fax... just make noise GA.

Bashlin

join:2011-06-20
Douglas, GA

will do it, thanks for the heads up..

Slipen

join:2010-04-18
Cairo, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Brian_M

Don't just sit back and do nothing, email and call your state Representative and tell them you don't Windstream to be able to dictate who can provide service to you over 1.5mbps. Windstream is banking on this passing so they dslams they have not upgraded they won't. Why would you, if you knew nobody is going to go through the trouble to install lines in those areas if the highest speed they would be allowed to offer is 1.5.

I emailed all of them and told them what Windstream has been doing to its Georgia customers with lies about fixes that never happen.

borisbadenov

join:2005-12-05
Barbourville, KY

Good luck there buddy hope they don't pull that crap in KY

Enix

join:2011-05-16
Sanford, NC

Sadly, they pulled that in our little town. All we can get is windstream.
Luckly over the past year, they have actually improved.
*Knocks on wood*

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to Brian_M

said by Brian_M:

Per the front page:

»Windstream, AT&T Aim to Keep Georgia at 1.5 Mbps

Please, GA folks, call your local reps and complain. There is *NO* reason for a law that removes the option for a local municipal to install their own ISP, should they desire. Er, let me rephrase that, there is no 'good for the consumer' reason.

Call, email, fax... just make noise GA.

YUP you will suffer if wind-stream has their way.. STOP THIS NOW
Call your reps until their ears bleed....
--
Holocaust survivors and their family's fill this out.
»online.ushmm.org/registry/update···form.php

Gathis

join:2012-07-25

This is pretty underhanded of them. It would be a little different if they would fix their issues, but they don't or if they do it takes them years, literally.

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL

I posted this earlier and glad this post of the same was noticed. I must have posted at a bad time of day, week, or maybe my title didn't say it right. Had me worried no one noticed! Good, carry on, I am in FL.

tmwalsh

join:2006-06-23
Canton, GA
reply to Brian_M

I agree with the OP wanting to block such legislation, bu I don't want municipal service either, as once they start providing, they'll be even more cantankerous than Windstream. After all, you'll have no POSSIBILITY of competition, and they will all be civil servants with political connections to keep their job. They will be able to raise rates or taxes{take your pick} at will, and you will have no recourse.
Perhaps worse is having franchised ISP service, where the ISP bids, and pays the municipality for the PRIVILEGE of providing service. You get the worst of both worlds. No ISP incentive to improve and a bureaucratic overlord insuring 'service'.
tom

moko

join:2002-12-22
Fayetteville, GA
reply to Brian_M

I think the biggest problem here.....is there's no competition.

Windstream has been good to us here as far as customer service and a consistent connection,but the speed tiers are behind the competition.

I believe this monopoly mindset is the problem.....they are spending money trying to keep other ISPs out......when that money would be going to building up their infrastructure.....if they had competition in their area.....instead of fighting it : )

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by moko:

I think the biggest problem here.....is there's no competition.

Windstream has been good to us here as far as customer service and a consistent connection,but the speed tiers are behind the competition.

Theres no Competition where I live no such thing theres two providers actually three Att /wind-stream and Cable which is Expensive, Comcast is coming to this area hope its my Road\, i wanna get away from cox as quickly as i can.
i can get through them 150/65 but cox offers 46/10 for the price Comcast would offer me which is $70.00 per month even is comcast if is $80 still cheaper for more speed.

Do we as Consumer need Competition Yes well we get this NO.

The following Bill would have Let all providers on the existing Lines be it DSL/CABLE.The infrastructure is there but is Comcast would be allowed over Cox Lines like this bill would have allowed,We all would be Better off.

quote:
The “Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act of 2006” proposes a change in the Clayton Antitrust Act to prohibit certain kinds of discrimination by broadband network providers. Specifically, the Act would make it unlawful for any broadband network provider to discriminate against any content, applications, or services, or to refuse to connect to other broadband providers. It would also make it unlawful for any broadband provider to restrict the sending or receiving of lawful conduct, to charge premiums for unrestricted access to lawful content
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_F···_of_2006
They Tryed 2 years to pass this.
»www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr5994
best part
»www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/1···congress

quote:
In the Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act of 2006 it states that the purpose of the act is to promote competition, facilitate trade, and to ensure competitive and non discriminatory access to the internet. In short, this Act is trying to promote net neutrality.
--

DawsonvilleG

join:2010-08-01
Dawsonville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Brian_M

They are hearing this today (Tuesday) at 3:00 pm downtown in the Coverdell Legislative Building. I plan to be there in case I am allowed to speak. In case I am wrong and you show up to be heard also, please don't blame me. Just trying to help.

Use this form and contact all the reps now before it's too late. »www.congress.org/congressorg/iss···&type=ML

Bashlin

Douglas, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Brian_M

Just got a response good news for us!

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about this piece of legislation. As it stands I am opposed to HB-282.  If there are any more concerns with this bill or any others please continue to inform me. I will do everything I can to continue to represent the people of district 8. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Stephen Allison

Slipen

join:2010-04-18
Cairo, GA

What is sad is I emailed all sponsors of this bill and our local rep 2 weeks ago. I have not heard anything back yet.

DawsonvilleG

join:2010-08-01
Dawsonville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Brian_M

The hearing was moved until 2 pm today. I just got back. They just showed another clip on CBS46 Atlanta at 5:00. I would say there was about 100 people there. Once 4 of us had time to speak. I understand the desire to make sure our tax dollars are not used improperly. However, as I told them, in my case, I have no other option right now. So if my local city got creative and said enough is enough and they decided to fund it in a way that would not use tax dollars, there should not be anything stopping them. I told them what a horrible experience I have had with WS and that many of us are not getting what we are paying for while this bill would keep out possible competition. I spoke with the creator of the bill afterwards, he lives one county south of me. We plan to get together to have coffee. I told him we need them to draft a bill that makes sure ISP's deliver on the product they offer. Also, after the hearing, I was approached by a very nice lady from WS who said she wants to help and wants to hear more. I'll be honest. I'm not sure if it was damage control or sincerity. I will have to decide what I want to do with that.
--
-- DawsonvilleG

Original Post: »[Troubles] Georgia - Paying for 12mb. Getting 1.5mb..

Cito

join:2008-09-22
Quitman, GA
reply to Brian_M

I'm disabled so no getting out to town meetings and such, but I did use the link (»www.congress.org/congressorg/iss···&type=ML) to email and write the congressmen/governor/lt governor and such.

as well as call to voice my opposition to the bill.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA
reply to Bashlin

said by Bashlin:

Just got a response good news for us!

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about this piece of legislation. As it stands I am opposed to HB-282.  If there are any more concerns with this bill or any others please continue to inform me. I will do everything I can to continue to represent the people of district 8. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Stephen Allison

Thats what he States ,HOWEVER lobbyist money Buys VOTES...................... They need their Pocket money

Dont Let up on Him, Email back and tell him if he Votes for it, you will Vote against him when the time comes.
--

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA
reply to Brian_M

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Heres what windstream is doing

Windstream ceases network upgrades due to a lack of competition, meaning that these companies won't serve you

»Google Politely Asks Georgia to Not be a Broadband Buffoon

quote:
As a result, Google, Alcatel Lucent, and several other organizations and companies have fired off a letter to Georgia lawmakers quite politely asking them to stop being buffoons for hire. From the letter:

Consistent with these expressions of national unity, public entities in Georgia and across America are ready, willing, and able to do their share to bring affordable high-capacity broadband connectivity to all Americans. Enactment of direct or effective barriers to public broadband initiatives, including HB 282, would be counterproductive to the achievement of these goals. HB 282 is also inconsistent with America’s National Broadband Plan, which calls on States to remove existing barriers to community broadband initiatives and to refrain from enacting new ones.
--

Bashlin

Douglas, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

Windstream is slowly dissolving, I'm not sure if it's intentional and ceo's will make off with millions or if management is really that bad.. I give windstream  5 more years at most.. A pity what greedy management can do to a potentially good company.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by Bashlin:

Windstream is slowly dissolving, I'm not sure if it's intentional and ceo's will make off with millions or if management is really that bad.. I give windstream  5 more years at most.. A pity what greedy management can do to a potentially good company.

Hope a good company buys them out,
Valor agreed to acquire the local telephone operations of Alltel.
Verizon should buy them out and give me good DSL service out here its 6mb download bump that up to 20mb and you have me as a customer Verizon so buy wind-stream out....
--

nathanroe72
I love torque

join:2010-01-15
Senecaville, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream

Windstream Corporation was formed from the spinoff of Alltel Corporation's landline business and merger with VALOR Communications Group, Inc. Verizon wouldn't be interested as it be a bad business deal for them to buy, then fix this massive steaming pile of rubbish. Maybe if the market was right next door or was intertwined with theirs, then they might be interested in that segment but I doubt it.

I've already had a dream about buying the market I live in and FIXING IT. I'd hate to see how much Windstream would want for it and all the hoops you'd to jump thru to make that happen and not mention to set up complete business. Its not like you just go to the bank, get a massive loan, write a check to Windstream and then tell the local techs to do what ever it takes to fix it.
--
WS is all about Money Talks, BS Walks. The customer gets screwed from both directions (billed and taxed) so the C-Level riffraff get the tailored suits, chauffeured cars, fine hotels and big cigars. Newsflash: Network is still broke!

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Brian_M

You know what's really sad,? They acquired Iowa telecom in 2010 in the service went to crap ever sense that time. If Windstream is acquired, I hope it's century link I don't know, who's left?
With AT&T no, Verizon no,

In 5 years, I might be able to get this through Winnstream if they're still around LOL

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by IowaMan:

You know what's really sad,? They acquired Iowa telecom in 2010 in the service went to crap ever sense that time. If Windstream is acquired, I hope it's century link I don't know, who's left?
With AT&T no, Verizon no,

In 5 years, I might be able to get this through Winnstream if they're still around LOL

The way wind-stream is going it would be a surprise if they're around here in 3 years.

I would love to have their internet and get rid of the crap i have but with only 6 mb down to expensive in what they want..

am still thinking about it dont know yet..
--

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..

I agree with the corporate take over of government. But aside from that DSL is about as obsolete as a phone modem. 24 is the upper limit, and there is no ADSL3 to come out. Wire has been pushed to the limit and even 24 takes bonding. 50/5 is now almost the lowest plan on many cable systems.
The only thing Windstream has is lack of competition in many areas and trying to play the price game. Within 5 to 10 years no telcos not using fiber will be out of business, or still providing 3m to rural homes at best.
--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

nathanroe72
I love torque

Senecaville, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by Piggie:

But aside from that DSL is about as obsolete as a phone modem. 24 is the upper limit, and there is no ADSL3 to come out. Wire has been pushed to the limit and even 24 takes bonding. 50/5 is now almost the lowest plan on many cable systems.

Here is Windstream's options for these "troubled" areas:
A. They can take government money as spend it foolishly (as we have seen in multiple markets... bring fiber and hardware but never bring them online or cut corners start back at square one)
B. Accept that DSL is EOL and doesn't hold a candle to what Cable can do (as seen with DOCSIS 3.0+). Granted VDSL2 is capable of delivering some serious speed, but distance is a major issue.

Instead of investing in VDSL2 technology they could maybe try something no other ISP has done. Bring cable out to the sticks. Surely Windstream is sitting their looking at various Cable companies going, dang they guys over there are doing alright. I'm not saying Cable is WS's answer, but what they are doing now is just blowing the budget, showing nothing for it and digging their own grave for the future. Because you know in less than five years from now they won't have two pennies to rub together. Why because they will be so far behind still trying to resolve speed issues and still lagging why behind the big dogs.
--
WS is all about Money Talks, BS Walks. The customer gets screwed from both directions (billed and taxed) so the C-Level riffraff get the tailored suits, chauffeured cars, fine hotels and big cigars. Newsflash: Network is still broke!

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..

Could not agree more Nathan. The fix they did in my area apparently isn't the new equipment. I don't get out every day. But I checked and the new stuff isn't what they hooked up. But they must have purchased, and installed more T1 cards to the DSLAM. Mine is feed with fiber, but the bandwidth for 3 years or more stopped there. Because they use some kind of old DSLAM meant for wire inputs. So instead of buying a new dslam, they used it and the fiber to wire box (what ever they are called) is the problem. Or was the problem. My only saving grace is my rural area is dying. More people are moving out than in. We only had 3 businesses and 2 are closed now and the third cutting hours. Post office slashed hours too. Then the lack of jobs makes the internet not a luxury, it isn't anymore. I would cut off satellite TV in a heartbeat to save money over internet. It's become as important as electricity yet is unregulated. I know why it's not unregulated but most of us here do. This is what you get when you shrink govt so it can be washed down the bath tub. This is EXACTLY the world it creates.
--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA
reply to Brian_M

ADSL 3, Up to 45Mb/s Down, 8Mb/s up

Only in other Country's the USA used to be the leader now we are the follower.......

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/637408
»connexus.net.au/business/connectivity/hybrid
--

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY
reply to Brian_M

This would be understandable for a company trying to keep competition out if they were able to provide good service - but to do this while at the same time providing LOUSY service to your customers is just astonishing to me........

Piggie
Premium
Orange Springs, FL

Thanks gentlemen for the technology updates. I see I was out of date! We used to have some great tech discussions in the group.

nathanroe72
I love torque

Senecaville, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 edit

said by Piggie:

Thanks gentlemen for the technology updates. I see I was out of date! We used to have some great tech discussions in the group.

Reminds me of that one Red vs Blue PSA.

Simmons: Sarge, did you just skate in here on a pair of robot vacuums?
Sarge: Don't be ridiculous, Simmons. These are robot vacuum smart-phones! You see the answer to today's overabundance of technology isn't fewer useless gadgets, it's more useless features in fewer usable gadgets!
Simmons: What?
Sarge: And of course it plays MP3s. Everything's gotta play MP3s - except your MP3 player! It now plays MP4s, 'cause everybody knows MP3s are a dead technology. They're our generation's betamax. And the next generation's Blu-ray.
Grif: What? Blu-ray just came out. It can't be obsolete already.
Sarge: Nonsense, numb-nuts. Being released to the public is what makes technology obsolete. The only way to stay ahead of the curve is to invest in products that don't exist, and hopefully never will. Like the iPlunger, or the Nintendonut.
Simmons: Hhh, or the Simmons two point five upgrade...
Sarge: Aw, that's just vaporware and you know it. Anyway, everybody knows this year's Blu-ray, is gonna be Red-ray. Heh heh.
Grif: What about HD-DVD?
Sarge: Bad marketing. Not enough repeated letters in the name to be catchy. So it's being replaced with HHD DDVVDDBVDs.

In this case, lets hope ADSL3 never exists. :P
--