Search similar:

uniqs

marbles90
I love torque
join:2010-01-15
Senecaville, OH

marbles90 to 08034016

to 08034016

Re: Windstream trying to ban municipal ISP options in GA...

Windstream Corporation was formed from the spinoff of Alltel Corporation's landline business and merger with VALOR Communications Group, Inc. Verizon wouldn't be interested as it be a bad business deal for them to buy, then fix this massive steaming pile of rubbish. Maybe if the market was right next door or was intertwined with theirs, then they might be interested in that segment but I doubt it.

I've already had a dream about buying the market I live in and FIXING IT. I'd hate to see how much Windstream would want for it and all the hoops you'd to jump thru to make that happen and not mention to set up complete business. Its not like you just go to the bank, get a massive loan, write a check to Windstream and then tell the local techs to do what ever it takes to fix it.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to Brian_M

Premium Member

to Brian_M
You know what's really sad,? They acquired Iowa telecom in 2010 in the service went to crap ever sense that time. If Windstream is acquired, I hope it's century link I don't know, who's left?
With AT&T no, Verizon no,

In 5 years, I might be able to get this through Winnstream if they're still around LOL
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned)

said by IowaMan:

You know what's really sad,? They acquired Iowa telecom in 2010 in the service went to crap ever sense that time. If Windstream is acquired, I hope it's century link I don't know, who's left?
With AT&T no, Verizon no,

In 5 years, I might be able to get this through Winnstream if they're still around LOL

The way wind-stream is going it would be a surprise if they're around here in 3 years.

I would love to have their internet and get rid of the crap i have but with only 6 mb down to expensive in what they want..

am still thinking about it dont know yet..

Piggie
Just A Pig With A Computer
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL

Piggie

Premium Member

I agree with the corporate take over of government. But aside from that DSL is about as obsolete as a phone modem. 24 is the upper limit, and there is no ADSL3 to come out. Wire has been pushed to the limit and even 24 takes bonding. 50/5 is now almost the lowest plan on many cable systems.
The only thing Windstream has is lack of competition in many areas and trying to play the price game. Within 5 to 10 years no telcos not using fiber will be out of business, or still providing 3m to rural homes at best.

marbles90
I love torque
Senecaville, OH

marbles90

said by Piggie:

But aside from that DSL is about as obsolete as a phone modem. 24 is the upper limit, and there is no ADSL3 to come out. Wire has been pushed to the limit and even 24 takes bonding. 50/5 is now almost the lowest plan on many cable systems.

Here is Windstream's options for these "troubled" areas:
A. They can take government money as spend it foolishly (as we have seen in multiple markets... bring fiber and hardware but never bring them online or cut corners start back at square one)
B. Accept that DSL is EOL and doesn't hold a candle to what Cable can do (as seen with DOCSIS 3.0+). Granted VDSL2 is capable of delivering some serious speed, but distance is a major issue.

Instead of investing in VDSL2 technology they could maybe try something no other ISP has done. Bring cable out to the sticks. Surely Windstream is sitting their looking at various Cable companies going, dang they guys over there are doing alright. I'm not saying Cable is WS's answer, but what they are doing now is just blowing the budget, showing nothing for it and digging their own grave for the future. Because you know in less than five years from now they won't have two pennies to rub together. Why because they will be so far behind still trying to resolve speed issues and still lagging why behind the big dogs.

Piggie
Premium Member
Orange Springs, FL

Piggie

Premium Member

Could not agree more Nathan. The fix they did in my area apparently isn't the new equipment. I don't get out every day. But I checked and the new stuff isn't what they hooked up. But they must have purchased, and installed more T1 cards to the DSLAM. Mine is feed with fiber, but the bandwidth for 3 years or more stopped there. Because they use some kind of old DSLAM meant for wire inputs. So instead of buying a new dslam, they used it and the fiber to wire box (what ever they are called) is the problem. Or was the problem. My only saving grace is my rural area is dying. More people are moving out than in. We only had 3 businesses and 2 are closed now and the third cutting hours. Post office slashed hours too. Then the lack of jobs makes the internet not a luxury, it isn't anymore. I would cut off satellite TV in a heartbeat to save money over internet. It's become as important as electricity yet is unregulated. I know why it's not unregulated but most of us here do. This is what you get when you shrink govt so it can be washed down the bath tub. This is EXACTLY the world it creates.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned) to Brian_M

to Brian_M
ADSL 3, Up to 45Mb/s Down, 8Mb/s up

Only in other Country's the USA used to be the leader now we are the follower.......

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· e/637408
»connexus.net.au/business ··· y/hybrid

mark40511
join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

mark40511 to Brian_M

to Brian_M
This would be understandable for a company trying to keep competition out if they were able to provide good service - but to do this while at the same time providing LOUSY service to your customers is just astonishing to me........

Piggie
Premium Member
Orange Springs, FL

Piggie

Premium Member

Thanks gentlemen for the technology updates. I see I was out of date! We used to have some great tech discussions in the group.

marbles90
I love torque
Senecaville, OH

1 edit

marbles90

said by Piggie:

Thanks gentlemen for the technology updates. I see I was out of date! We used to have some great tech discussions in the group.

Reminds me of that one Red vs Blue PSA.

Simmons: Sarge, did you just skate in here on a pair of robot vacuums?
Sarge: Don't be ridiculous, Simmons. These are robot vacuum smart-phones! You see the answer to today's overabundance of technology isn't fewer useless gadgets, it's more useless features in fewer usable gadgets!
Simmons: What?
Sarge: And of course it plays MP3s. Everything's gotta play MP3s - except your MP3 player! It now plays MP4s, 'cause everybody knows MP3s are a dead technology. They're our generation's betamax. And the next generation's Blu-ray.
Grif: What? Blu-ray just came out. It can't be obsolete already.
Sarge: Nonsense, numb-nuts. Being released to the public is what makes technology obsolete. The only way to stay ahead of the curve is to invest in products that don't exist, and hopefully never will. Like the iPlunger, or the Nintendonut.
Simmons: Hhh, or the Simmons two point five upgrade...
Sarge: Aw, that's just vaporware and you know it. Anyway, everybody knows this year's Blu-ray, is gonna be Red-ray. Heh heh.
Grif: What about HD-DVD?
Sarge: Bad marketing. Not enough repeated letters in the name to be catchy. So it's being replaced with HHD DDVVDDBVDs.

In this case, lets hope ADSL3 never exists. :P