spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aisling13
@btcentralplus.com

aisling13

Anon

[Wired] No ethernet connection to Linksys wrt54GL v1.1

I have acquired a couple of WRT54GL v 1.1 routers. Both exhibit the same problem. I cannot get an ethernet connection to work. I suspect the routers have been setup in some way to prevent tampering - they were use in a network that was physically accessible by the public. Resetting them does not seem to work. My PC connects perfectly using the same cables etc to a Netgear router. The routers do not appear to exhibit any bricked symptoms. Anyone any ideas on how I can reset the routers so that I can start from square one and reinstall firmware if necessary.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

What procedure did you follow to reset the router? Can you get into the interface?

aisling13
@btcentralplus.com

aisling13

Anon

I tried resetting the router as per the manual - both with the Cisco logo button pressed for over 5 seconds and the rear reset button for over 5 seconds and also the 30/30/30 reset procedure which works with DD-WRT firmware (though not I believe with standard firmware). I tried many times with each method.
aisling13

aisling13 to CylonRed

Anon

to CylonRed
Sorry missed answering the second part. No I cannot get into the web based router interface - if I could the chances are that I could have prgressed further. The ethernet light is lit but the PC does not seem to be able to detect the IP address. Running ipconfig show a blank IP address for the default gateway address when I would normally see an IP adress that I would expect to be 192.168.1.1 or similar.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Can you ping the default address for the router? If you can't get into the router then the issue is more than not getting an internet connection...

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI to aisling13

MVM

to aisling13
said by aisling13 :

Running ipconfig show a blank IP address for the default gateway address when I would normally see an IP adress that I would expect to be 192.168.1.1 or similar.

Bingo. It's likely they have no DHCP server to give out addresses. In a distributed public system this would be common. They are like "AP-only". Setting a static IP would be one way to even start looking at it. Some general thoughts...

Add it to your D-Link Network connecting LAN-to-LAN. Your PC *must* have an address.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the GL's boot code (known as CFE): 1) Sends out a complimentary ARP followed by 2) a short window when TFTP can write firmware. This address is hard coded to 192.168.1.1.

You don't even know it's a standard CFE but it's a place to start assuming it is.

I can't imagine getting clues without packet sniffing. What the firmware sends out next would be a big clue.

Any wireless signal?

Sorry it gets so deep right away but I can't see any other way.

aisking13
@btcentralplus.com

aisking13 to CylonRed

Anon

to CylonRed
Ping does not find the router - see my next post in reply to BILL-MI.

Can you ping the default address for the router? If you can't get into the router then the issue is more than not getting an internet connection...
--

aisling13
@btcentralplus.com

aisling13 to Bill_MI

Anon

to Bill_MI
I am also working along the lines no DHCP server and a standard CFE.

In Windows 7 I have assigned the following in Internet Protocol Version 4 properties:

IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

and pinged 192.168.1.1

and got no response - I will try this again while I do a reset and see if there is a time window as you suggest.
aisling13

aisling13 to Bill_MI

Anon

to Bill_MI
I am getting a wireless signal and can connect to it but cannot ping or see anything else.
aisling13

aisling13 to Bill_MI

Anon

to Bill_MI
Some progress. After a few attempts at resetting the router while I was constantly pinging 192.168.1.2 I stated to get constant replies from the router (from IP 192.168.1.1).

The power and DMZ lights that previously were steady now flash constantly when pinging is working.

However I am still unable to access the router from a browser. Tried turning off the automatic detection option in the LAN Settings but no joy.
Any suggestions?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

2 edits

Bill_MI

MVM

Just some thoughts...

I'm thinking it may not at all be on 192.168.1.1, knowing how that address is hard-coded into CFE. I'm wondering if CFE might have gotten triggered to respond to your pings and no more.

What if it's really on 10.20.30.40 or similarly obscure address?

I'd packet sniff what's going on, looking for clues. For example, it may be looking for a time server. It may be asking via ARP where its gateway is which would be a clue what it's address is. ARP looks like: "Who has 10.20.30.1? Tell 10.20.30.40."

Have you used Wireshark? You seem a lot more savvy with every post.

Are all ports created equal? You might check them all and even WAN for activity.

I've never done this before... sounds like an interesting puzzle.

EDIT:
You may want to try forcing new firmware using that tftp method. I did it long ago but it takes patience and a good look at the bootup packets.

AT BOOT it replies to pings at the hard-coded address 192.168.1.1 but for ONLY a few seconds. Do you see that? Happens about 5-10 seconds after reset as I recall. Just before then it sends an ARP answer without a question: "192.168.1.1 is at (Mac Address). This is needed so your ping/tftp knows where 192.168.1.1 is - a networking staple.

aisling13
@btcentralplus.com

aisling13

Anon

pack1.pcapng.zip
1,031 bytes
LAN activity on start up
I have never used Wireshark before - what a great piece of a software for this type of problem.
I used Wireshark to monitor the LAN activity while the router started up from plugging in the power cable. I got what I hope are some interesting numbers but without spending hours reading up I do not understand them. I attach a Wireshark file of this and hope you can help me.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

I spent a few minutes at lunchtime. Did you see the SOURCE IP of 192.168.151.1 sending out OSLR broadcasts? Packet numbers 6-16.

I'd put a PC on, say, 192.168.151.2 and attempt to see what's on 192.168.151.1. ASAP.

Also, packet #2 is custom firmware coming up. I think it exactly the same I see from OpenWrt but many others may use it (Tomato, DD-WRT, etc.). It basically says "Press reset now, to enter Failsafe mode".

Look at your own file... see what I mean?

The DHCP stuff, I believe, is all from your PC (unsuccessful).

BTW, I once knew how "Safe Mode" worked in OpenWrt firmware but I'm very rusty on it. Here's hoping you won't need it.

aisling13
@btcentralplus.com

aisling13

Anon

Things are getting more interesting and I am getting some response to a ping. The setup is:

On the PC
Fixed IP address of 192.168.151.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.151.1

Ping 192.168.151.1 gets a response. The Wireshark file is attached. Still do not understand what it means but at least it is a change!!

Browser access to 192.168.1 or .2 fails

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Here's where we are...

You can clearly see the router is at address 192.168.151.1 so that part is done. It has a MAC address of 00:21:29:6f:e4:7d. We know your PC gets no response to DHCP. It replies to pings.

It is looking for OLSR (Optimized Link State Routing Protocol) but I'm not familiar. Info here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLSR. I'm sure the network it was in would answer.

If you want to run Wireshark for your own fun, be my guest. But not needed for the following...

At a commandline, try to talk to it on various ports (see below). The response will be one of three things: 1) Long timeout 2) Quick rejection 3) Something else, possibly with some text and a prompt or the screen clears.

Regular telnet:
telnet 192.168.151.1

Web page port 80:
telnet 192.168.151.1 80
This probably won't work any better than your browser.

Secure Shell (SSH) port 22:
telnet 192.168.151.1 22

FTP port 21:
telnet 192.168.151.1 21

Notice you can try any port by adding it after the IP. Get anything? There are tools like NMAP to automate this process and test EVERY port (highest is 65535).