uniqs
share rss forum feed

bruzzes
Premium
join:2001-04-26
Euclid, OH

[Need Info] Zone Alarm

Has anyone tried out this App?

It has a free anti-virus, Firewall and 5 gigabyte online backup, all for free.

I remember it was once the major App for security many years ago.

It took only a few minutes to download, install, update and run scans. (maybe 20-30)
I have this feeling this is too good to be true feeling.

Ant feedback by users will be appreciated.
--
"Where am I" I asked. "Your on the Island of Conclusions" he replied. "How did I get here?" said I. "Why you jumped here, of course"

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Sorry but it doesn't rate very well in any of the tests,that I've seen.

I haven't used it in over 12 years.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to bruzzes

Most dropped Zone Alarm years ago, it isn't the firewall it was years ago.

Expand your moderator at work

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23
reply to JustBurnt

Re: [Need Info] Zone Alarm

said by JustBurnt :

Most dropped Zone Alarm years ago, it isn't the firewall it was years ago.

I can't agree with that. Yes ZA is not the same. I have been using ZA free for years. I used Tiny and Outpost etc and went back to ZA I use an older version and only the firewall. I resist all nags to upgrade. All the programs are contained with no ability to get out without permission.
I have full outbound control and full stealth on all ports.
It depends on what you expect a software firewall to do for you.
That's not to say there won't be an exploit coming up that defeats it, but so far it has done everything I have wanted it to do.
If you want I can try to find the links for the older versions. Some of them will not work on some Os's. You just have to try them and see which one will work.

Velnias

join:2004-07-06
reply to bruzzes

Yes, I remember, when ZA (not the first and really good one) was spying on users... constantly pinging home... with no ability to control online activity of itself... and much later explanation - "sorry, bug".

ZipZap

@europa.eu
reply to bruzzes

said by bruzzes:

Has anyone tried out this App?

It has a free anti-virus, Firewall and 5 gigabyte online backup, all for free.

I remember it was once the major App for security many years ago.

It took only a few minutes to download, install, update and run scans. (maybe 20-30)
I have this feeling this is too good to be true feeling.

Ant feedback by users will be appreciated.

Solid choice, test shows is one of the best in malware detection as compared to other free AVs. They are using the Kaspersky engine (see AV-TEST.org results). Firewall is simple to use and configure and provide excellent protection. Feels light and silent.

Unfortunately most users still like to dump it based on historic hate or useless hips tests. Its like the typical wrong historic reactions to Norton = Junk and bloated. Negatives? yes, the toolbar. Sort of the price you have to pay for a free product.

If it likes your system it is normally a keeper

bruzzes
Premium
join:2001-04-26
Euclid, OH
reply to bruzzes

Well, I am running Windows 8, and I had started out with Windows Defender. (Default)

I then got Windows Advanced Care which kinda kicked off the Defender and I guess has it's own protection program. However, I was unsure whether this was an antivirus program or just an anti-malware program. When I went to try and return to Windows Defender, it would not let me because of the System Care Protection was on. I turned the real protection off, but still was unable to get Windows Defender on. Hence my search for some type of security program and my coming across the Zone Alarm.

Windows Update still downloads the Window Defender updates.

I am asking feedback as to which free program offers enough basic protection without a full blown antivirus program like Norton or Kapersky which I cannot afford.

Thanks for all the feedback already given.
LOL! I knew I would get all kinds of different opinions.

But I am very happy to pick the minds and LEARN from all the experts on this site.
--
"Where am I" I asked. "Your on the Island of Conclusions" he replied. "How did I get here?" said I. "Why you jumped here, of course"

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to ZipZap

quote:
Solid choice, test shows is one of the best in malware detection as compared to other free AVs. They are using the Kaspersky engine (see AV-TEST.org results). Firewall is simple to use and configure and provide excellent protection.
Really ,and what tests were those?

»www.matousec.com/projects/proact···ults.php

»www.matousec.com/projects/proact···enge-64/
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

PerLive

@109.128.109.x

I guess those are the test been mentioned as useless. In fact, they say nothing about the ability of security applications to stop real malware. Top notch security programs like Bitdefender, Bullgard, F-Secure, Avira, Norton, are rated junk in there. Just marketing bs.