Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

[XPPro] Black Title Bar on shutdown

I've noticed some computers when shutting down, the title bar turns black. Any idea how to troubleshoot why it is?

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

Isn't that just part of the overall fade-to-monochrome effect?

The title bar of what window, in any case?

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

No, not a fade-to-grey thing. All the other desktop colours remain. It is the "Please Wait.." "Windows is shutting down..." dialog.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

LaRRY_PEpPeR

join:2010-03-19
Wentzville, MO
reply to LLigetfa

Yeah, I know what you mean. Seems like more Windows weirdness! I use the Classic theme, but the XP style still applies before log on/off (Default user then), so I think how I fixed it was to turn off that theming (.reg file):

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
"ThemeActive"="0"

I never found anything else that made a difference. Of course that makes it look Classic style then, which in my case keeps things consistent!

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

Well... I think it turns black because it is unhappy about something. To change the theme would be to shoot the messenger.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by LLigetfa:

Well... I think to change the theme would be to shoot the messenger.

So what theme and color scheme are you using on the computers where the "black bar" appears?

On my XP Pro SP3 installs, the shutdown window keeps its colors while the rest of the desktop fades to grey. That's running with a modified XP theme, but with Windows Classic view for viewing folders.

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

It is not a question of theme or colour scheme. The same theme on a happy computer shows a blue titlebar, but when it becomes unhappy, it turns black. I just want to know what it is unhappy about, I could care less what colour it is.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey