Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Sign up for Semi Fiber-Hood

said by ITALIAN926:

If enough people speak up, they just might FORCE AT&T to bring them Uverse. Why do they have to be forced? Its ridiculous.

Because it's all about Returns need to be greater than cost.

Do you think AT&T or any other company would be willing to spend 10k to lay a run of cable/fiber 500 feet to just 1 to 10 customers?
I don't think they will, because I think they look short term, even though they know long term they can recover that 10k expenditure in about 10 years or less. Depending on what type of services the people would sign up for.

Investors don't like to see high expenditures for low returns. And that's what it's about. Keeping investors happy, and your pockets fat. Who cares if a few million people miss out on Broadband?*

*An interesting read is the post about the lady people want to see head the FCC. She makes a few decent points at how bad things are here in the US compared to elsewhere.
Why can you get a fast line in South Korea for 50 bucks a month, but that same line in the US will cost over a hundred bucks a month?
Is it because the business mode is so different between the two countries? Or something else? Or both?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

No, it's because AT&T and it's investors think so short-term that they are killing AT&T's infrastructure by not allowing them to make the long-term investments that they need to make, i.e. FTTH.