share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

This is nothing.

Remember all those lovely Floppies/CDs from the numerous dial up companies that used to exist.

AOL sure as hell sent enough of them, but then you had compuserve, prodigy, sierra online, and a few others. Not counting the bulletin boards that you could dial into with your modem.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

Costs subscribers lots of $ to send this junk mail!

Don't forget to factor in that it costs these providers plenty to send out all this junk mail..also don't forget the wall to wall television ads as well.

I would LOVE to know how much extra it costs subscribers to pay for all this.... most likely WORTHLESS advertising.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Agreed. Though, I guess we could help support the post office and mail the junk back to send, postage due.
But again, like you suggested, the companies would just hike the rates to cover it.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to Snakeoil

Re: This is nothing.

said by Snakeoil:

Remember all those lovely Floppies/CDs from the numerous dial up companies that used to exist.

I just re-use the floppies and give the CDs to the kids for their art projects.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

said by Simba7:

said by Snakeoil:

I just re-use the floppies and give the CDs to the kids for their art projects.

My cousin sold them on ebay for a $1.25. The 1.25 was to cover "shipping and handling" costs. She told me she sold a couple hundred of them.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Yeah i hated when AOL went from floppies to CDs. just formatted them for free diskette.

liked the nice DVD cases too
--
Despises any post with strings.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

AOL sure as hell sent enough of them, but then you had compuserve, prodigy, sierra online, and a few others. Not counting the bulletin boards that you could dial into with your modem.

:D

Way back when, I worked in an office building in The Netherlands that had the local corporate office for Compuserve in it as well. After another large round of CD's mailed out, a few ingenious individuals figured out the business reply code (Known as "Antwoordnummer" in Dutch, which means the receiver PAYS for mail received instead of the sender - usually used for businesses that want you to send something back, but not have the potential customer go through the hassle of paying for it) could also be used to send back the CD's.

They started not only a campaign of mailing BACK all the CD's they could find, but basically asked the public to mail anything HEAVY to pester them. Websites were launched, the word spread..... (And this was way, way before social media)

The result, I came in to the office (and my office happened to be on the same floor as the Compuserve offices, which had about half of that floor) one day and the hallways were loaded dozens and dozens of mailbags, and the walls lined with packages, and the local post office delivering a van full of mail and packages for over a week until they finally shut down that particular business reply code. (Or they changed it so packages were no longer accepted, the CD's still came)

There were boxes with BRICKS in them, big bags of POTATOES, and things like that. We on the other side of the floor, working for a completely unrelated company (but still in the tech field) could not help but chuckle, because we completely agreed with the campaign of mailing back the CD's.

One of the campaign pages (in Dutch) still exists today, as the website it is on is also a large tech forum/community.

»tweakers.net/reviews/53/national···cds.html
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"