Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18

[WIN7] Dump NET Framework?

I have Win7 64 bit on my Windows machine. I use my computer strictly as a "home user" in that I just do the every day thing. I don't write programs or create anything on the computer. I just run the OS and the apps that I download.

I have NET Framework. Whenever I do updates there are over time regular updates of NET Framework and those updates are huge in size. I dislike the fact with Windows that it requires so much time having to be updated, both with the MS updates as wells as the many layers of security programs that I use for protection that is needed for Windows.

So I thought why not just uninstall NET Framework.

When I started the process the system warned me that uninstalling it might or would cause certain programs not to run or operate properly. (I don't recall the exact wording. Sorry.)

Question: Any harm or downside to uninstalling NET Framework?
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Just ran into a need and D/L it this morning. The tool for the video card on this computer requires Framework

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Blogger
You would need to review the requirements for every program installed on your PC before you uninstall .NET framework.
If any require .NET then you will need to uninstall that also.

More programs today are built on the .NET framework and will not run without it.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
said by mmainprize:

You would need to review the requirements for every program installed on your PC before you uninstall .NET framework.
If any require .NET then you will need to uninstall that also.

More programs today are built on the .NET framework and will not run without it.

Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to be difficult or "ungrateful" regarding your suggestion but what for example would be a common program that needs it?

I literally have installed nothing on my computer that is not common everyday stuff.

It seems like a lot of effort to do what I imagine it would take to see what on my computer, if anything, requires NET Framework. I wouldn't even know how to check that by the way.

Thanks again for your post.
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Just ran into a need and D/L it this morning. The tool for the video card on this computer requires Framework

Not sure what you are referring to when you say "tool" for video card.

Is it that "tool" that you are referring to as far as the need to download?
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to Blogger
quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to be difficult or "ungrateful" regarding your suggestion but what for example would be a common program that needs it?
Literally - it can be anything - any program especially if written by MS...

You can try this - I can't be sure it work though:
»stackoverflow.com/questions/2080···sing-net

I would search the web for 'programs that use .net' - not sure if the program has to be running to have correct results.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Blogger
said by Blogger:

said by SparkChaser:

Not sure what you are referring to when you say "tool" for video card.

Is it that "tool" that you are referring to as far as the need to download?

I meant I had to D/L Framework because I installed this from AMD.

Please note that the Catalyst Control Center component of the AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta requires .NET 4.0 support for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Blogger
.NET is the stupidly-named runtime system for programs developed using any of the 'currently preferred' programming languages for Windows, most notably C# and C++/CLI.

You can't tell from the outside what programming languages were used for the programs you want to run. Though since it's the preferred way to develop apps these days, there's a fair chance that some common or everyday program will need it.

You also can't tell by simple inspection what version is required, and unfortunately .NET version N is not a drop-in replacement for version N-1. So you get to have updates for multiple versions of the thing.

You can uninstall it, and then anything that needs it simply won't run. But it seems more straightforward (i.e., less manual work) to me to just let Windows Update download the updates in the small hours.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Blogger
FWIW, Process Explorer from sysinternals will highlight .NET processes, in a lurid yellow colour by default. You might want to get that to see what you're running.

»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi···653.aspx

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
reply to Blogger
Well, with all of the good posts in this thread the answer to my question is clear cut, black and white. Leave it alone. It ain't hurtin anything to have it plus I spend 90 percent of my time on the Mac machine anyway.

Just keep current on the MS updates and all other updates for apps on the Windows machine.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Blogger
said by Blogger:

So I thought why not just uninstall NET Framework.

When I started the process the system warned me that uninstalling it might or would cause certain programs not to run or operate properly. (I don't recall the exact wording. Sorry.)

Question: Any harm or downside to uninstalling NET Framework?

Don't uninstall it. Many many programs use .Net framework, and are compiled such that the executables (the programs you run) require that the parts of .Net they need (the dynamically loaded libraries, or DLLs) be installed on your computer. That's the .Net framework you are thinking of uninstalling.

If you do, any programs you have that need these DLLs will stop working. Without knowing which programs you're using, it's impossible to say if none of your programs need .Net. Microsoft does ship programs in Windows 7 that rely on .Net, so some programs in Windows will stop working.

There are occasional .Net updates, but I don't recall more than a couple a year.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us