spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ubermoe
join:2012-09-21
Jordan

ubermoe

Unsubscribe from Linkedin email notifications with one link

I don't have any accounts on Linkedin (deleted mine years ago) but I've received an email notification from a friend via Linkedin asking me to join him on the network.

- Again, my email addresses are supposed to be deleted from Linkedin upon account deletion -

The link provided in the end of the message to unsubscribe is: »www.linkedin.com/inbox/s ··· kHqj45E1

Take this part without changing any other value: email=username%40gmail%2Ecom&id

%40 is @
%2 is . (dot)

Try to change it, try with any of the email addresses you know of your friend which are registered on Linkedin. It works!! I emailed the link to a friend from a different country and tried the same with different email addresses and his personal account and it worked!

I am wrong when I say that there must be a session token or something similar to kill the link after a certain period?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

I'm not really sure what was being conveyed but seeing Gmail as part of your post - Gmail has a built in unsubscribe function that works well with incoming mail that has an unsubscribe feature in the email, me thinks.
I opted out from a mail list only to receive a message from the outfit I had opted out from that it could take up to 2 weeks before they cease sending me mail (which is BS).
The next day I had received another email from the outfit, Gmail caught it & asked if I wanted them to submit an unsubscribe email which I allowed. I haven't received another email from them leading me to believe that unsubscribe requests associated with a gmail address are taken more seriously than other mail services.

Thinking about it: Linked-in was who I was unsubscribing from.
If you're saying that you can unsubscribe any gmail address from Linked-in by using the supplied code whether it's your account or not, then you should make Linked-in aware of that.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW to ubermoe

Premium Member

to ubermoe
said by ubermoe:

I don't have any accounts on Linkedin (deleted mine years ago) but I've received an email notification from a friend via Linkedin asking me to join him on the network.

I've never been a member of Linkedin (or any other social networking site) but I get the "join emails" from time to time as well. Yes they're from people I know but I ignore them rather than trying to unsubscribe (that'd only let Linkedin know the email is good and being read).
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by StuartMW:

said by ubermoe:

I've never been a member of Linkedin (or any other social networking site) but I get the "join emails" from time to time as well. Yes they're from people I know but I ignore them rather than trying to unsubscribe (that'd only let Linkedin know the email is good and being read).

Same here. Last e-mail I received generated from Linkedin (was never a member of their little clique and never will be, by the way...) really infuriated me: The daughter/co-owner of a family-owned cemetery monument company in NY felt for whatever unfathomable reason she needed to add me to her stable of social media flunkies. The absolutely one and only reason for being in contact with these folks was of a business nature to obtain a cemetery plot gravestone, nothing more. In addition, the very same girl also put me on a blanket e-mail distribution list and I began receiving "blast" e-mails using the gravestone company e-mail addy with her sig asking me to support various and sundry causes of the day near and dear to her addled mind.

Since all these arrangements were being done out of necessity via long-distance a good 1200 miles away, it took a phone call from me to her less-than-PC literate mom's office at the company and subsequent followup e-mail (with the kid copied of course) explaining my anger concerning the situation. It was finally solved but was an issue which never should have occurred in the first place.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Not being a member of Linkedin I'm not sure how invites are sent. Does Linkedin ask for "contacts" or do people send invites themselves? I've never gotten anything from Facebook.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by StuartMW:

Not being a member of Linkedin I'm not sure how invites are sent. Does Linkedin ask for "contacts" or do people send invites themselves? I've never gotten anything from Facebook.

Depends- a person can look up someone in LinkedIn and send an email to someone OR they can have LinkedIn search the contacts (email accounts) much like you can do with FaceBook.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

The Linkedin e-mail I received specifically had the woman's name on it and something to the effect that she was inviting me to become part of her Linkedin network. How it was actually generated isn't known to me. Also have never received anything from Facebook and certainly don't frequent that mess either.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by scelli:

said by StuartMW:

The Linkedin e-mail I received specifically had the woman's name on it and something to the effect that she was inviting me to become part of her Linkedin network. How it was actually generated isn't known to me. Also have never received anything from Facebook and certainly don't frequent that mess either.

She probably used the function where you can send invitations to people on your personal mailing list. You're offered that option from within linkedin. If that's the case, having your information removed from LinkedIn wouldn't have any effect on receiving the invitation.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by Msradell:

said by scelli:

said by StuartMW:

She probably used the function where you can send invitations to people on your personal mailing list. You're offered that option from within linkedin. If that's the case, having your information removed from LinkedIn wouldn't have any effect on receiving the invitation.

Are you saying since I'm not a member of Linkedin and never have been, she added my e-mail to her personal address book for the specific reason of inviting me to join? This is what I suspected and also am quite sure I'm not the only customer of the monument company she's taken the liberty of doing this to without permission.

Supposedly my information has been deleted by her and the company as well. If by some chance the info still is there, I can guarantee she'll never use it in such a foolish manner involving the family business ever again.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
Are you saying since I'm not a member of Linkedin and never have been, she added my e-mail to her personal address book for the specific reason of inviting me to join? This is what I suspected and also am quite sure I'm not the only customer of the monument company she's taken the liberty of doing this to without permission
If they have you as a contact in what ever email client they use - then yes.

There maybe rules for LinkedIn to not randomly spam people for business requests. I know I have never had this type of thing happen with LinkedIn and I do not allow LinkedIn or FB to go thru my contacts in any way.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

1 recommendation

Phoenix22 to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
i just send it all to the spam........cause a lot of jokers try 2add me to the linkdung site
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by Phoenix22:

i just send it all to the spam........cause a lot of jokers try 2add me to the linkdung site

Then next joker who sends unsolicited crap like that will get a not-so-polite reminder to pull their Hotel out of their Alpha and think again before hitting the "Send" key on any future e-mails to me.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Remember also that LinkedIn got hacked a while back, account information stolen, email addresses, etc. My linkedin-specific email gets a lot of spam now...most of it pretending to be from linkedin.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to ubermoe

Premium Member

to ubermoe
LinkedIn is notorious for sending spam email unless already noted.

I get spammed at all my throw-away accounts, thusly, when I want to see what has been sent, I log into my account.

ubermoe
Jordan

ubermoe to Snowy

to Snowy
Yes, I am able to unsubscribe any email address from getting notifications but basically the following:

- Invitations to connect
- Reminders for pending invitations
ubermoe

ubermoe

said by Snowy:

I'm not really sure what was being conveyed..

Yes, I am able to unsubscribe any email address from getting notifications for 1) Invitations to connect 2) Reminders for pending invitations. I am going to send them an email from my account so they can be sure it's true.
said by StuartMW:

(that'd only let Linkedin know the email is good and being read)

I don't personally think Linkedin would go that deep. But sure, what you're doing is better.
said by scelli:

(that'd only let Linkedin know the email is good and being read)

I was on Linkedin when it was first launched and 1 or 2 years after that and it was just cool, delivering what they promised. Then they started to mess up. Spam email, suggestions from people with ZERO connections with no even the field of business or even in any word mention on our online profiles. These strategies are expected from newbies and fanatics to get more attention but I didn't really expect Linkedin to look like this.
said by StuartMW:

In your inbox, these messages come from your friends email addresses you know but the email designed in Linkedin's style. Sure, it's from Linkedin but they are making it look more legit by sending from personal accounts. Take a look at one of these messages sent to my iCloud account:

However, Linkedin never new of my iCloud address, it was sent to my Gmail and because I configured auto-forward it was in my iCloud inbox.
said by siljaline:

I guess I am just lucky. I was moving my data from Google (all of it) to iCloud including Calendar, Emails, Contacts, etc. in order to move from Android to iPhone. Thankfully, iCloud does support what is called Email aliases. Your major address is yours but you can create 3 additional addresses @icloud.com which I find pretty good.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to ubermoe

Premium Member

to ubermoe
said by ubermoe:

Yes, I am able to unsubscribe any email address from getting notifications but basically the following:

- Invitations to connect
- Reminders for pending invitations

OK, thanks for confirming that.
By definition what you've got is a hack of linked-in's unsubscribe function.
You could give them a heads up.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed to siljaline

MVM

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

LinkedIn is notorious for sending spam email unless already noted.

I get spammed at all my throw-away accounts, thusly, when I want to see what has been sent, I log into my account.

EDIT:
Interesting - I have never been spammed by them at all...

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to ubermoe

MVM

to ubermoe
I am a member of Linkedin but prior to joining I received several invites. That happens if the person asking you to join supplies an email address.

So if this is a one off Assume your account has been successfully deleted and the person supplied your address.

/tom

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed

Interesting - I have never been spend by them at all...

You mean Spam

Depends if you have an account or not.
What I was trying to prefess to is that I get spammed by my own LinkedIn account.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Yep - mean spam - hate this keyboard I have to use when my fav keyboard from 1995 died.

I am looking for a job so I have an account - I do not get spammed by LinkedIn at all - other than when someone wants to connect to me.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
copy that..........what i meant was itz on rock an roll 2the spam folder...i never see em' unlike some alpha hotels..........i do not romeo echo alpha delta my sierra papa alpha mike
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

2 recommendations

scelli (banned)

said by Phoenix22:

copy that..........what i meant was itz on rock an roll 2the spam folder...i never see em' unlike some alpha hotels..........i do not romeo echo alpha delta my sierra papa alpha mike

Lima charlie last transmission and roger that , Screaming Eagle. Scelli Actual out here.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to Phoenix22

MVM

to Phoenix22
There ya go. That's what I do as well. Delete, delete, delete, ignore, ignore, ignore. I even junked one from my brother! And most of the ones I get are Spam, from people whom I don't know at all.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by jaykaykay:

I even junked one from my brother!

Yeah, I have family members like that too

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
In order not to get spammed by LinkedIn, I've turned off all email notifications.

Logging in to your account is probably best practice.

Especially for those that are active on the site.

ubermoe
Jordan

ubermoe

And the link is still valid and working! LOOOOOOL

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
SOG C&C Nrth

1 recommendation

Phoenix22 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
there are a few in every squad/platoon;=))
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by Phoenix22:

there are a few in every squad/platoon;=))

For those who can't seem to get with the program, wonder what the cyberspace version of a blanket party is?

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by scelli:

For those who can't seem to get with the program, wonder what the cyberspace version of a blanket party is?

Usenet?

Maybe this'll explain

The Usenet Light Bulb Joke