Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Would never pass in Massachusetts

The state of Massachusetts is actually getting involved in broadband deployment by helping deploy broadband in areas that Comcast/Verizon won't touch. While Massachusetts has excellent broadband availability (Verizon FiOS in the eastern part of the state and Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 in Western Mass) there are still unserved areas, particularly in rural Western Mass outside the Pioneer Valley (Springfield/Holyoke/Northampton/Amherst). Many of the communities in Franklin, Berkshire, and parts of Hampshire county lack broadband or have limited connectivity. I think there are 17 cities and towns in Western Mass that do not have broadband at all and the state is stepping in to make it easier to build the networks. Even if a town has a cable TV plant, they cannot deploy broadband if their is no backhaul between the headend and the rest of the Internet. That is why Verizon is probably hesitant to deploy FiOS in the Pioneer Valley is they would have to build backhaul between the existing FiOS plants and Western Mass. There is a big rural area between Worcester and Springfield. I personally think Verizon should sell its Western Mass Wireline assets to AT&T as Enfield, CT is a short distance away and they have U-Verse, which would be easier to expand into the Pioneer Valley than FiOS as they could build it out without the huge gap between the deployment clusters.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.