uniqs
share rss forum feed

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2

CRCT Proceedings

I don't know how many of you are listening or watching the CRTC go after the telecommunications companies for the wording and service fees the are charging the customers.

I wonder if there will be a similar proceedings for the internet companies? If not there should be!

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by Leathal:

I wonder if there will be a similar proceedings for the internet companies? If not there should be!

There most likely won't be since there are many more options for wired internet (once you include wholesale) than there are for wireless so the wireline internet is nowhere near as cartel-like.

On the wholesale side, IIRC there already is a proceeding to take another look at CBB rates.

Another thing is the CRTC does not regulate retail rates for non-essential services. Since there is a fair diversity of retail offer for internet service, there is no obvious reason for the CRTC to intervene at this point in time - at least not beyond the CBB review.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to Leathal

FWIW it's worth taking a look at jfmezei See Profile's submission to the CRTC about Bell's 50/10 FTTN service; it expresses some good points.

»crtc.gc.ca/public/8740/2013/b2/1841061.PDF

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

quote:
It must be noted that for its retail service, Bell Canada has been marketing its offereings as “optical”
whether they are reliant on copper or real fibre optic lines. Since Bell Canada has not been awarded
the Nobel prize for physics for discovering a way to transmit light through copper, one must assume
that this is all a marketing fib.
JF does like to have a little bit of fun in his submissions and this one had me laughing up a storm. Definitely time to cut with the marketing BS about Fibe....

MFido

join:2012-10-19

LOL

I just want to re post the part that liked me the most:

"14. It must be noted that for its retail service, Bell Canada has been marketing its offereings as “optical”
whether they are reliant on copper or real fibre optic lines. Since Bell Canada has not been awarded
the Nobel prize for physics for discovering a way to transmit light through copper, one must assume
that this is all a marketing fib."

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Hehe, yeah JF always had a nack for that in his submissions...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!