@pnap.net

[JB] iOS 6+ and Background, need for Colloquy, fix found

Click for full size
iFile plist Editor
Click for full size
Settings
Click for full size
Settings
As many of you are already aware, sadly Backgrounder was abandoned, and does not work with iOS 6. Today, I purchased InfinityTask only to discover it didn't enable me to background Colloquy and exceed the 10m limitation. Colloquy, the popular IRC application, has an internal timer with a warning and graceful disconnect when the background timeout is approaching and/or reached. Due to this internal timer the application disconnects regardless of any InfinityTask setting.

The solution is to modify the Colloquy Defaults.plist in /var/mobile/Applications using something like iFile and adjusting the CQMultitaskingTimeout value to a large value, such as 86400 (1 Day), causing the internal timer in Colloquy to be greater than the iOS background 600 second timeout. This allows InfinityTask to work as expected which allows Colloquy to run in the background more than 600 seconds until the Colloquy internal timer value reaches CQMultitaskingTimeout without Colloquy being moved to the foreground. Moving Collquy to the foreground resets the CQMultitaskingTimeout internal Colloquy timer, so as long as you've brought it to the foreground before CQMultitaskingTimeout you can run it "forever". Set CQMultitaskingTimeout to whatever you like, I felt 1 day was reasonable.

This is working very well so I wanted to make others aware. While InfinityTask isn't the same as Backgrounder it does address a critical need in my eyes regarding Colloquy. Other applications may also have an internal timer that can be adjusted. Hope this helps someone.

InfinityTask is described at »moreinfo.thebigboss.org/moreinfo···tytaskDp

Support your iOS developers, don't be a pirate!

Trying2Help

@pnap.net

Seems adjusting Colloquy.app/Settings.bundle/AdvancedBehavior.plist in the CQMultitaskingTimeout section works better, is the right way to do this, and exposes the "1 Day" value in the Settings app.

<dict>
<key>Type</key>
<string>PSMultiValueSpecifier</string>
<key>Key</key>
<string>CQMultitaskingTimeout</string>
<key>Title</key>
<string>Multitask Timeout</string>
<key>Values</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>60</integer>
<integer>120</integer>
<integer>300</integer>
<integer>600</integer>
<integer>86400</integer>
</array>
<key>Titles</key>
<array>
<string>Immediate</string>
<string>1 Minute</string>
<string>2 Minutes</string>
<string>5 Minutes</string>
<string>10 Minutes</string>
<string>1 Day</string>
</array>
<key>DefaultValue</key>
<integer>600</integer>
</dict>

Kikidark

@sfr.net

Hi there, thank you for the help. But sadly that doesn't work for me. Too bad. Would have paid a lot for a tweak like that.
Ignition or itransmition 3 are all closed after the 10 minutes. Plus they don't alert me they are going to close anymore. How do you make it works with other app when they don't have a default plist in their files? Thanks.

Want2Help

@pnap.net

Are there other plists you can look at? The issue is InfinityTask works very well if the application doesn't have it's own internal timer, see »seekpoint.blogspot.jp/2013/02/ne···ask.html

With Colloquy, the internal timer in Colloquy itself was superseding the tweak.

Can you post some screenshots of your configuration? I found, at least with Colloquy, I had to defeat the graceful internal timer of the application through plist modification to get InfinityTask to handle background timeout. It's not an issue with InfinityTask, it's an "issue" with Colloquy setting it's own multitasking timeout timer.

Kikidark

@37.161.253.x

Actually I saw the link explaining how infinitytask works before looking for your thread. Once I figured out the apps I was hoping it works for were still shutting down after a while I tried to find a way to fix it.
I checked all ignition plist files ( ignition is a computer remote app who usually works great at multitasking exept the 10 minutes limitation). But there were no similar timer option to configure. And once I activate infinity task on this app. The notification banner before it shut down were no longer coming.
The tweaks works with safari downloader fine. But other downloader in app were also shutting down after the 10 minutes (walking dead game episode downloading) while they were doing fine multitasking job natively. I tried both keeping the device awake and putting it to sleep with no difference. Maybe I open too many apps in the background? But still no reliable for me to use this tweak instead of backgrounder.
Really need an upgrade for iOS 6. I'll pay 10 Dollards for it.

Want2Help

@pnap.net

Friend, I'm with you there. I know Backgrounder is Open Source on GIT but I am worthless with Objective C; about all I can do is kludge around with the BSD/POSIX stuff and play with plists. I've been using Backgrounder for quite a while, from forcing applications to run in the background to forcing them to close. Backgrounder was awesome; I could say what I wanted to be open on exit, what I wanted to close on exit, etc.

I even did some cursory code review on Backgrounder since as soon as it's installed and invoked through MobileSubstrate we end up respringing. Maybe we can get rpetrich or yllier to pick up the cause? Like you, I'd gladly pay $10 for it. It's up on »github.com/ashikase/Backgrounder and I just wonder if the issue is in »github.com/ashikase/Backgrounder···Hooks.xm around %group GFirmware5x

Folks say "You don't need things like Backgrounder, iOS's multi-tasking is the best!!11oneone" -- I don't think they understand our highly necessary use case.

Kikidark

@sfr.net

I saw so many forum asking for a backgrounder alternative since evasi0n jailbreak that I can assure you we are not alone.
Someone even asked ashikase on twitter and he replied something like: what do you still need backgrounder for?
I asked @devbug0 myself cause he is the one who did the update for ios 5, but no answer, maybe quasar will get a release in a week or two, it can do true multitasking, but I really don't like everything else in the tweak and it doesn't work with iphone.
I heard apple changed a lot of the core functionality in Ios 6, don't know if a simple update of the backgrounder code source will do the trick but we don't have anything to loose, our best bet may be asking a few dev to help us on this one. I find my device to be funny toys without it, impossible to do some serious work with the native multitasking. I was able to convert a video while downloading a huge file in safari and doing some sound design in animoog. Not anymore.

Ps: I found a plist which when desactivated will allow ignition to stay in background after the 10 minutes limitation. I guess it's better than nothing right?

Want2Help

@pnap.net

Yeah really, I'll try to keep this thread updated if I find anything. Mind posting the plist changes; it might help someone along the way?

Kikidark

@37.160.56.x

It's in the file://localhost/var/mobile/Applications/ignition/Library/Preferences/com.logmein.ignition.plist
Just have to disable the showRcFmTimeoutOnOff and it will usually not be killed in the background. Not 100% reliable though, but definitely usefull.
Thanks again for your thread, it might help a lot.

Kikidark

join:2013-03-03

I'm happy to tell you that I have found a very good backgrounder alternative.
It's called music control pro and it has an option to let any app to behave as it is on the foreground even after pushing home button, using an other app or even after locking the device. Perfect for download, video editing who takes hours ( I tried video converter app and it was still doing the job, while with native multitasking or infinity task it was always stoping the process right away after switching an app). I have already asked the dev to do it as a separate tweak as it is principally a music control tweak. Waiting for his answer. So happy to be able do some real work with iOS again.

Want2Help

@pnap.net

Hey thanks Kikidark, am I looking at the right one? »phoenix-dev.com/index.php?cat=Mu···rols_Pro

Do you pick the applications to make it work with in Settings? Mind sharing some screen shots? I'd love to have Backgrounder again, being able to force exit for specific applications is as beneficial as backgrounding others.