spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dmike5249

join:2013-02-13

Different Router or Booster

Help Me:I have a westell327 router that I have hooked up to my laptop.I do not have great range around 50 ft before I lose a signal. My house is 2600 Sq. Ft. I have been looking at the Amped R10000 wireless router and the Amped SR300 range extender,which would be a better choose for me. thanks in advance

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1

No experience with those since this is a DLink forum.

I would recommend a DLink DAP-1525

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to dmike5249

If you haven't already, get a site survey done, or get Netstumbler / inssider onto a laptop and walk around the house.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to BimmerE38FN

said by BimmerE38FN:

No experience with those since this is a DLink forum.

I would recommend a DLink DAP-1525

Umm....no it isn't. ::grin:: Someone forgot which forum they were in. Heheh

Anyway, from your two choices given, I see your price point is about 70-100$? Also, the Westell327 is a ADSL wireless gateway, probably from Verizon right? Might want to ask them first if your allowed to replace the unit. The models they have listed are

»www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···ing.htm#

Of those, I would suggest the D-Link 2750B which is probably about 70-80$ Now if Verizon (or whomever your ISP is) does allow you to replace the unit, you have 3 choices. Set the Westell to bridge mode, use it as a modem, and get a stand alone router. You can can get a normal stand alone modem and a standalone router. Or last, you can get a new ADSL wireless gateway. I prefer the 2nd choice for dependability and performance reasons, but first you have to call your ISP and see what your options are. Then I will give you my suggestion.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1

The OP originally posted in the DLink forum. I replied to the poster then the entire thread was moved here.

EdT

join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to dmike5249

If your house is 2600Sq.Ft. then your router requirement is 50ft x 50ft where the weakest WiFi router on the market today should be able to handle.

I have the Amped Wireless series of routers, their advertisement is a bit misleading. Although the WiFi signal on their router are powerful, the data transfer rate on them are horrible and best used for only sharing internet on wireless devices. If you need a router for streaming media such as Netflix, look elsewhere for a router like the ASUS RT-AC66U or RT-N66U that provide all round performance on all these fronts.

Expand your moderator at work

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

1 edit
reply to dmike5249

Re: Different Router or Booster

said by dmike5249:

Help Me:I have a westell327 router that I have hooked up to my laptop.I do not have great range around 50 ft before I lose a signal. My house is 2600 Sq. Ft. I have been looking at the Amped R10000 wireless router and the Amped SR300 range extender,which would be a better choose for me. thanks in advance

You can or should be able to turn the WiFi on the Westel off. Using a wired connection connect a higher end AP device. You could even place it in a more strategic location.

You neglected to share of what building materials your location is. Walls with rebar or walls with metal studs will have a serious adverse affect on any wireless signal. The building materials may be acting as a Faraday cage. From what I've read the Asus would be a great choice. Just turn the DHCP server off and use it only as a dual band AP device. You would connect it via a LAN port to a LAN port on the Westel, the WAN port on the Asus would not be used.

Another device that may work is the D-Link Duo's DAP-1522 [300] or the DAP-1533 [450]. These work as either a Bridge or an AP. I can tell you from experience though that as an AP the 1522 very likely does not have as strong a radio and coverage as a more high end router in AP mode. Remember all routers can be used as an AP, not all bridges are switchable to AP mode.

--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.09NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {1 @ 5ghz bridge mode; 2nd semi-retired} / Motorola SB6141