how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Speedbump

join:2013-02-13
Riverview, FL

[TV] Surround sound

Tech was out today to try and get my surround sound working. I have a 12 year old Bose Theater that works fine with my DVD player and it worked great with my TIVO before I had the DVR from Brighthouse hooked up last month. Surround sound will not work. the Bose does not have HDMI or Optical inputs. Just RCA cable. The Tech told me he had no idea why it wouldn't work, but admitted it should. I called Brighthouse after the Tech left and was told to call an Audio Expert. What kind of customer service is that?

I would really like to make this work, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
Let me guess your TV is connected HDMI right?

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
reply to Speedbump
I replied earlier, now the post is gone. ?

No HDMI, just RCA cables. Yellow to TV Red and White to Bose Theatre Model 5.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
And what are your box audio settings or have you set them yet?

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
The Tech set them to:
Audio Volume Control: Fixed
Range: Wide
Audio: Digital Output: Dolby Digital
Analog/SAP: On

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
So you get no sound at all? Did he try swapping boxes to see if the outputs were just bad?

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
I get sound. Mono only. No surround sound. No he didn't change the box. I asked him to and he said all he had were the older style on the truck. I said I didn't care, but he still didn't change it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
Okay you are the one who also sent me an email right? I'll make arrangements to get someone back out there again and swap the box out because you should still get stereo whether you get dolby or not so something isn't quite right.

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
Yes, I am the one. I would appreciate anything you can do. I really don't want to switch to Fios or anything else. My Wife and I have had an email address from RR for over 15 years.

I can't understand why I can get surround sound out of my DVD Player, my WII and the TIVO that I got rid of when I changed to BH's DVR. Is there something about the BH DVR's that just aren't compatible with most or some Surround Sound Systems?

If he changes the box and that don't fix the problem? What then?

Thanks,

bob...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
We'll get to that road when we get there....I'll be in touch, you already sent me the account specifics in your email.

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
Thanks...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
OKay getting you scheduled.

JeffMD

join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL
kudos:1
reply to Speedbump
speed bump, you able to dig out a specific model number on that bose? perhaps part of the label imprinted on the back/bottom?

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
About all I can find other than the very long serial # is: Lifestyle Model 5 Music Center. It has AM-FM and CD Player.

I bought a new Remote (new to me) that looked identical to mine from e-bay. It didn't work at all. Mine just barely works. I wonder if there are a bunch of different ones that look the same with the same Model #'s etc?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
If you can get your remote to work long enough....you can buy a learning remote from Walmart that you can teach by pointing one remote towards the other and then going through each of the buttons. It doesn't take long and it solves this problem. Key word for the remote packaging is LEARNING REMOTE.

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
I think the Walmart remote is an IR Remote. The one for my Bose is UHF and I don't think they make learning remotes for UHF.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
Ugh....let me do some digging.

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
Great, cause what good is a remote when you have to get up and put the remote about a foot from the power cord/receive antenna to make a volume change, or any other change for that matter.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
Well so far not finding anything that can do this...but I'm looking.

JeffMD

Edgewater, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Speedbump
Ok first things first.. I regret to inform you speedbump that your system is not a surround sound system. It does support a number of satellites and a B set of speakers for a separate room, but there are no rear channel, center channel, or sub (although there is a sub that intercepts the satellites signal so it pulls a low frequency sound from that) channel speaker. A mono sound may be one of the channels is not making its way from the cable box to the Accoustimass (subwoofer) module, the system is probably noticing only one channel has audio and is mixing it into both speakers.

As for your remote, it is RF based and there is a setup and pairing between the base station that you need to do. If you no longer have the manual you can find it here.

»www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/owne···6962.pdf

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
Very good catch.... I missed that he included his model # in the last post Jeff.

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
This unit is a surround sound with left, right, center, two back speakers and acoustic module. The surround sound is great except for the Brighthouse box. With that, we get mono only.

As for the remote, it works but has no range. I have to get a few feet or less from the power cord which is also the antenna for the remote.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
Actually it isn't surround sound (unless you provided the wrong model #) but you should still receive stereo and not mono assuming the box is setup correctly.

cmcasey79

join:2000-12-10
Allen Park, MI
reply to Speedbump
said by Speedbump:

This unit is a surround sound with left, right, center, two back speakers and acoustic module. The surround sound is great except for the Brighthouse box. With that, we get mono only.

At the best, that unit might support Dolby Pro-Logic (which uses some fancy methods to get some surround out of just a normal stereo connection) for surround sound, which isn't the same as newer surround sound systems that have Dolby Digital or THX (which have separate sound tracks for each speaker).

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the back of your cable box and bose system so we can see the cables connected? I would almost guess that you may have one of the cables hooked up to the wrong input on the bose or wrong output on the cable box (especially the red end of the audio cable on the cable box side, make sure that's plugged in to the audio out, and not the red portion of the component video output). Ive seen this happen more than a few times when I was doing TV/Home Theater installations.
--
- cmcasey79, BrightHouse RoadRunner Turbo, Farmington Hills, MI

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
This unit has only RCA jacks. No HDMI, Svideo or anything else except RCA. If it's truly not a surround system, it sure sounds like one and was sold as a Surround System. I doubt that any of the audio cables are hooked up wrong. The installed hooked up the Brighthouse DVR, the second tech came out and checked everything said all was well except for the fact that there was no surround sound. And I've looked it over several times myself.

Is there something different about the BH DVR than say a Tivo? Cause the Tivo had great sound (surround or not) and the BH doesn't. With the DVD Player I get left right center and background from the back. If that isn't surround sound, I would reallly like to have a REAL Surround System. I can't imagine anything sounding any better. As far as the model, that's what it says and there are onlly a couple very long numbers, one being a serial number which probably wouldn't help ID it any further.

I"m in Tampa area now, but was born in Pontiac and raised in Waterford. I'll bet you it's kinda cold in Farmington about now.

cmcasey79

join:2000-12-10
Allen Park, MI
"Surround Sound" does tend to be a confusing term and mean different things to different people. For me, true surround sound would be a system that has independent outputs for 5 speakers+subwoofer, and digital (either optical or digital coax) inputs.

What you have is a pro-logic system, which does output sound to all of your speakers, but in a less controlled way. You have a Left and Right signal coming from your cable box (and all your other equipment) into the bose system. For the center speaker, it basically will output whatever sound is the same on the Left and Right cable. For the left speaker, it'll do let left sound minus what it sent to the center (same for the right). For the rears (which output identical sound in this type of system, no difference between right rear and left rear), there is a phase shifted signal that's used. The subwoofer (or acoustimass module) outputs all of the low range sound.

With more modern systems, a digital audio signal is used, which has a unique signal for each speaker. In this way, the left, right, and center could have the exact same sound, or different, the rears can have independent sound as well (and even sides speakers in 7.1 systems). This allows sounds to really travel from say the rear left to the front right (an airplane for example) very authentically. If your system, it would go from the back to the right front. Not a huge difference for most people, but different nonetheless.

Regarding the mono problem you have right now though, are you saying only one speaker outputs sound, are just the rears not working, or exactly what is each of your speakers doing? Perhaps some more info there would help figure out what the cause is (if you gave more info before and I missed it, I apologize).

P.S. It is still pretty cold up here, but spring is coming!
--
- cmcasey79, BrightHouse RoadRunner Turbo, Farmington Hills, MI

JeffMD

Edgewater, FL
reply to Speedbump
Speedbump, bose isn't the greatest of companies when it comes to marketing. They heavily market and sell inferior hardware. When you throw $300+ you DO get a good sounding system, but you would see the same with any other company. Their low end sub $100 products are some of the worst out there. So saying a system is surround was probably because it uses 4 speakers at different angles + sub to surround you with sound at all angles.

However in this case surround does not mean dolby pro logic or Dolby digital, or any true multi channel sound method. Your system is taking only 2 channels, left and right, and sends it to the 2 satellite speakers. Half way through the trip the audio runs through the sub woofer and the sub woofer can pull down the low frequencies from the stereo signal, but unlike true surround sound, there is no separate channel.

Cmcasey, I am ruling out dolby pro logic because there are no dolby markings, and there are no rear channels on the back for rear speakers. The system is actually using 2 satellites that have 2 swiveling speakers, one is facing the listener and the other is to be bounced off the walls.

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
I think you guys have it pegged. I do have left right and center. (To my ears) The rears are identical. I have heard background audio playing from them a lot of times. Like in a restaurant. If you turn up the rears, you can hear other people talking who are not the main characters. I have heard airplanes, cars etc start from the rear and come though the room. My Wife bought this at an outlet mall years ago for around $600.00 (supposedly a deal)

What I hear from Bright house is the same audio from all three front speakers, but the right seems to be the loudest. Absolutely no audio from the rears at all.

The big problem I have is that my DVD player and WII both play in what I'm used to hearing as surround sound but the BH DVR will not. Not even close. There is not even stereo coming from the speakers, just mono from all three. So why is that? Can it be fixed or is the BH DVR just different than my other devices?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Speedbump
While I haven't seen this issue in our DVR's before it is possible you have a bad one. You have two choices...exchange it at a lobby location or I can send a tech.

Speedbump

Riverview, FL
I would rather have a Tech come out. That way he can check everything and be sure it's hooked up correctly. Then if the new box doesn't work, I guess I can be assured there is some compatibility issues with the BH DVR. Remember, the last DVR I had from Bright House acted the same way about three years ago.