uniqs
share rss forum feed

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:4

Preparing for PvP In 5.2, Patch 5.2 PTR Notes Updated

Preparing for PvP In 5.2, Patch 5.2 PTR Notes Updated
Patch 5.2 Update - You Can Keep Your Valor!

Preparing for PvP In 5.2
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
If you haven’t been keeping up on the latest World of Warcraft news, you might not be aware that World of Warcraft Patch 5.2: Throne of Thunder is on the horizon. Well, 5.2 is well on its way and it’s bringing PvE features like a brand new questing hub and a huge new raid, but it’s also introducing new features that will have a significant impact on the PvP aspects of World of Warcraft, including a number of class and gearing changes.

I thought this would be a great time to discuss some of the ways we can prepare for when 5.2 goes live and we can once again attend to the important business of watering the tree of awesome with the blood of our enemies.

Gearing Up
We’ve already covered that the way PvP gear is acquired is changing in patch 5.2, but I’ll briefly recap.
Rating requirements will be removed from PvP gear.
Malevolent Gladiator’s gear will be available for purchase with Honor Points.
A new tier of Conquest Point gear will be added that becomes available once 27000 Conquest Points have been earned for the season.
Team Rating will gradually increase during the season for teams and players who continue to compete in PvP. This system is explained in the Mists of Pandaria PvP Dev Watercooler.

As Bashiok mentioned in his recent 5.2 Currency Conversion blog, any unspent Conquest Points will turn into Honor. That could represent a significant chunk of Honor Points, so if you find that you don't have quite enough Conquest to buy or upgrade a piece now, you could still potentially afford to buy a piece of Honor gear when the new season starts.

If you’re just starting your PvP journey in 5.2, then you might want to think about investing in a set of crafted Dreadful Gladiator’s gear to get started on the right foot.

Decisions, Decisions
If you’re already wearing Malevolent Gladiator’s gear in patch 5.1, then you could be faced with a choice. In patch 5.2, the Item Upgrade vendors will no longer be active. A new set of non-upgradeable Malevolent Gladiator’s gear is being introduced in patch 5.2, though it is a higher item level and has boosted PvP Power and Resilience to compensate.

So, if you have the points to buy gear, do you buy a current Malevolent piece now, do you upgrade an existing piece before patch 5.2 arrives, or save points to buy new pieces once patch 5.2 arrives? Keep in mind that a fully upgraded (2/2) piece of 5.1 Malevolent Gladiator’s gear will be slightly better than its 5.2 counterpart, so if you already own pieces that you haven’t fully upgraded yet, then going for full upgrades might be a good course of action. On the other hand, even a piece that isn’t fully upgraded will be about as good as one of the brand new pieces in patch 5.2. Since any Conquest Points you have when patch 5.2 arrives will be turned into Honor that can be used to buy Malevolent pieces when the patch arrives, it’s up to you to decide how you want to spend those points.

Class Changes
Knowledge is power! Lots of class changes are coming in patch 5.2, so it’s a good idea to stay up to date on the latest changes by visiting the PTR patch note blog, and reviewing the class notes. Take note of the class changes—knowing what you, your teammates, and your foes are capable of will help shape the team compositions you use and the tactics you employ in battle.

If you’re feeling particularly feisty, you can download the Public Test Realm Client by visiting the Account Management page to experiment with the coming changes firsthand. Not only will you be helping us test the upcoming patch, but you’ll gain a keener grasp of what the changes will mean for you.

What About Mid-Season Catch Up?
That’s actually planned for patch 5.3. You can read more about it in the PvP Gear in 5.2 and Beyond blog I mentioned earlier.

When Does The New Season Begin?
Patch 5.2 is arriving soon, so keep an eye open for the blog announcing next season’s start date.

That’s Teamwork!
It can be difficult finding and fielding a team for organized PvP. If you’re looking for allies, you have many places to begin the recruitment process, ranging from the official forums to fan sites like Arena Junkies (also a great place to look for information), to just hopping into the General channel while playing to see if someone wants to play a few games.

If you’ve had success finding or forming an Arena Team or Rated Battleground group, how did you go about it? Let us know in the comments.

Patch 5.2 PTR Notes Update - Feb 11
Classes
Death Knight (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Death Knights now maintain the same health percentage when switching into and out of Blood Presence.
Druid (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Wrath damage have been increased by 9%.
Balance
Starfire damage have been increased by 9%.
Starsurge damage have been increased by 9%.

Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Targeting for Glaive Toss and Powershot has been improved. These abilities will now always hit the primary target and are much more responsive about which secondary targets they hit.

Mage (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Arcane
For Arcane Mages, Evocation now restores 40% (was 60%) of total mana over 6 seconds, and consumes all Arcane Charge. For each Arcane Charge consumed, the total amount of mana regenerated is increased by 10%, up to a maximum of 80% over 6 seconds. Evocation remains the same for Fire and Frost.
Frost
Fingers of Frost now has a 15% (was 12%) chance to activate from Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt and Frozen Orb, and a 5% (was 4%) chance to activate from Blizzard., and a 10% (was 9%) chance to activate from Scorch.

Monk (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Jab now costs 4.5% (was 4%) of base mana to use.
Glyph of Path of Blossoms is now Glyph of Paralysis. This glyph causes the Monk's Paralysis ability to remove all damage-over-time effects on the target.
Mistweaver
Summon Jade Serpent Statue no longer costs mana.
Muscle Memory: A new Mistweaver passive activated by a successful Jab or damaging at least 3 enemies with Spinning Crane Kick. Upon gaining Muscle Memory, the Monk's next Tiger Palm or Blackout Kick deals 150% (was 200%) more damage.

Priest (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Body and Soul now has a 3-second duration (was 4 seconds).
Holy Fire is now an instant cast ability.
Shadow
Mind Blast damage has been increased by 20%.

Pet Battles
Master Trainers in Northrend, Cataclysm, and Courageous Yon will no longer field pets with higher than intended stats.
Ghostly Bite's damage has been reduced by 20%. now has a cooldown of 7 rounds (was 3 rounds).
Ghostly Skull: Ghostly Bite and Siphon Life have swapped ability positions.
Spectral Strike now has a cooldown of 4 rounds (was 3 rounds).
Light now has a cooldown of 4 rounds (was 3 rounds).

Raids, Dungeons and Scenarios
Throne of Thunder loot drops and bonus rolls are now available for testing in Raid Finder, Normal, and Heroic difficulty. Please note that at this stage of testing, bonus rolls are not yet available, art for weapons, armor pieces, and the drop rates themselves are not yet final.

Bug Fixes
Items
Effects for the following trinkets Spirits of the Sun, Qin-xi's Polarizing Seal, and Relic of Chi-Ji should no longer activate while outside of combat.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Thanks for this, now time get your conquest pieces and be ready to be honor capped for 5.2.

I think my plan is going to be use my conquest for offspec pieces (rings, neck or cloak) and since they will not be upgraded they will be less quality than the new honor pieces so I can farm the new better quality main pieces and get the offspec ones later.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Carpie

Ok. I think I've asked this. Perhaps I overlooked it. Does out current Honor pool get turned into gold when 5.2 goes live? Or do we keep any current honor?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Only the excess Honor converted from Conquest will be turned into gold.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Jobbie:

Only the excess Honor converted from Conquest will be turned into gold.

Okay. So if I have 4,000 honor right now, it will carry over to 5.2?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Yes

Phantasee

Hammond, LA

Sweet. Thanks.

Carpie

united state
reply to Carpie

Notes from this morning:

Patch 5.2 PvP Blog Post Updated
The Preparing for PvP In 5.2 blog post was updated to reflect that the new Malevolent Gladiator's gear in Patch 5.2 that is purchased with Honor is of lower item level than the current Malevolent Gladiator's gear. The new items are new versions of the gear, so the reduced item level should not affect items purchased before the patch.

Patch 5.2 - Cross-Realm Patch 5.0 Raids
Ghostcrawler confirmed that the old Patch 5.0 raids will all be cross-realm once Patch 5.2 is live.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

said by Carpie:

Notes from this morning:

Patch 5.2 PvP Blog Post Updated
The Preparing for PvP In 5.2 blog post was updated to reflect that the new Malevolent Gladiator's gear in Patch 5.2 that is purchased with Honor is of lower item level than the current Malevolent Gladiator's gear. The new items are new versions of the gear, so the reduced item level should not affect items purchased before the patch.

Patch 5.2 - Cross-Realm Patch 5.0 Raids
Ghostcrawler confirmed that the old Patch 5.0 raids will all be cross-realm once Patch 5.2 is live.

Makes sense and the PvE change is pure awesome will be able to pug from friends lists now.
--

Carpie

united state

Agreed. Here is the other part of the message about a website that let's you PuG easier. I've not heard of it before but it sounds like it is worth checking out.

OpenRaid Reminder
Now that cross-realm Patch 5.0 raids are confirmed, this might be a good time to remind everyone about OpenRaid. It is a site that allows you to easily form cross-realm groups for PvP and PvE content. Currently you can do all of the old WoW content, except for Mists of Pandaria raids.

It is an easy way to grab nice meta achievement mounts like the the Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher or Ironbound Proto-Drake, as well as transmog gear, chances at mounts that drop from old raids, and even a way to finish getting the drops for your old legendary item! You can also find some Challenge Mode groups and RBG groups as well.

Once Patch 5.2 is live, it will provide an opportunity to gear up your characters faster by running the Patch 5.0 raids in Normal or Heroic difficulty. Doing Normal difficulty will give you higher item level loot, extra chances at loot compared to just running LFR, and help you to catch up on the legendary quest line, so that you can get your legendary meta gem sooner!

Cows

join:2010-02-27

1 edit

Just saw the new pvp gear posted on MMO champ and it has boosted pvp stats but reduced base stats.

I was worried the difference would be huge and i would have to grind 5 sets of honor gear during the 1-2 weeks without arena's for my chars without upgraded gear. Looks like the new one could be a little behind the current.

The 5.2 DK Mal helm difference would be: -69str, -104stam, -46 mastery, -46expertise, +103 PVP power, +103 resil

Anyone have thoughts on it?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

I bet It is still way better than the current Dreadful stuff so I am OK for less pve stats and increased pvp stats. In my case I need to grind a dps set and a tank set for my warrior so I is going to be a very fun week when the patch hits.
--

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Cows

said by Cows:

The 5.2 DK Mal helm difference would be: -69str, -104stam, -46 mastery, -46expertise, +103 PVP power, +103 resil

Anyone have thoughts on it?

I believe the gear will be better for PvP and worse for PvE. PvP Power and PvP Resil are such big stats in some cases being prioritized over Agility/Strength/Intellect that they should make up the difference. It's a way for them to lower the Item Level but still make the gear compete with previous malevolent.

5.2 Malevolent > 5.1 Malevolent (Not upgraded) - PVP

5.2 Malevolent 5.1 Malevolent (Not upgraded) - PVE

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Patch 5.2 Honor Gear

The Patch 5.2 Malevolent gear may have more PvP power and Resilience, but Patch 5.1 Malevolent gear has higher Item levels and as such stats. To have more clarity on this you can read the below comparisons:

•5.1 Malevolent Gear has a higher ilevel than 5.2 Malevolent Gear.
•5.2 Malevolent Gear has more PvP Power/Resilience than 5.1 Malevolent Gear.
•5.1 Malevolent Gear

483 ilevel (491 with 2/2 upgrades)
~30 ilevels of PvP Power and Resilience
•5.2 Malevolent Gear
476 ilevel
~36 ilevels of PvP Power and Resilience

In the end, the effective Ilvl of patch 5.2 and 5.1 Malevolent gear puts them at about equal. The reason for lowering the item level and increasing the PvP stats for the 5.2 version of Malevolent gear is because we want players to run 5.0 LFR, this means that the Ilvl of honor gear needs to be lower than the entry requirement of 483. The result of this was lowering the Ilvl (stats) of the gear, but increasing it's PvP power and resilience to compensate. That difference in power you feel is going to be extremely prominent, is actually quite minor.

djlar

join:2009-04-23

Nice, finally some boomer love.. 9% to each main spell, I'm always 4th or 5th on damange on my best effort (with no tier bonus), this could put me on top...

Also loving the 20% mind blast buff for SP

Gan

join:2009-04-10
Taiwan
reply to Carpie

It's not an entirely obvious strategy so I'll share; before each new season I max both HP and JP. Then after I buy the new honor gear, I trade the JP for more HP at the Justice trade goods vendor in Org. With the unfavorable exchange rate (375 JP for 250 HP), I can still start each season with an effective honor cap of 6500 instead of 4000.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

This is great advice, I started my honor and jp cap over the weekend sadly it appears that the buying and selling after patch is gone.
--

Endbringer

join:2012-10-07
Fishers, IN
reply to Carpie

it is mentioned that the currency will be converted from CP to HP, if you are capped on HP now what happens to the additional HP you may recieve from the converted CP?...will you lose it or will it add to the 4000 you already have?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

It will be turned into silver/gold depending on how much do you have.

gainsborough

@johnstonesupply.com
reply to Endbringer

I think it would be usefull and just easier... if someone would link some stats for malevolent gear, then malevolent gear upgraded and then the new gear. Link for a warrior plz.

I'm not quite understanding this... I'm full mal right now... with half upgraded fully. The new gear is going to have a lower item level than my ugraded 391 peices. That ilvl will be 376. However, the new gear will have slightly more pvp res/power...

So nothing changes with my 391 gear right? What about the new crafted stuff? What ilvl is it and mats costs, and were do you get the patterns?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Snuffbox

said by Snuffbox:

Patch 5.2 Honor Gear

The Patch 5.2 Malevolent gear may have more PvP power and Resilience, but Patch 5.1 Malevolent gear has higher Item levels and as such stats. To have more clarity on this you can read the below comparisons:

•5.1 Malevolent Gear has a higher ilevel than 5.2 Malevolent Gear.
•5.2 Malevolent Gear has more PvP Power/Resilience than 5.1 Malevolent Gear.
•5.1 Malevolent Gear

483 ilevel (491 with 2/2 upgrades)
~30 ilevels of PvP Power and Resilience
•5.2 Malevolent Gear
476 ilevel
~36 ilevels of PvP Power and Resilience

In the end, the effective Ilvl of patch 5.2 and 5.1 Malevolent gear puts them at about equal. The reason for lowering the item level and increasing the PvP stats for the 5.2 version of Malevolent gear is because we want players to run 5.0 LFR, this means that the Ilvl of honor gear needs to be lower than the entry requirement of 483. The result of this was lowering the Ilvl (stats) of the gear, but increasing it's PvP power and resilience to compensate. That difference in power you feel is going to be extremely prominent, is actually quite minor.

--

Cows

join:2010-02-27
reply to gainsborough

said by gainsborough :

I think it would be usefull and just easier... if someone would link some stats for malevolent gear, then malevolent gear upgraded and then the new gear. Link for a warrior plz.

I'm not quite understanding this... I'm full mal right now... with half upgraded fully. The new gear is going to have a lower item level than my ugraded 391 peices. That ilvl will be 376. However, the new gear will have slightly more pvp res/power...

So nothing changes with my 391 gear right? What about the new crafted stuff? What ilvl is it and mats costs, and were do you get the patterns?

As far as crafted gear the contenders patterns just updated so we didn't have to buy new patterns when they did it last year.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Gan

said by Gan:

It's not an entirely obvious strategy so I'll share; before each new season I max both HP and JP. Then after I buy the new honor gear, I trade the JP for more HP at the Justice trade goods vendor in Org. With the unfavorable exchange rate (375 JP for 250 HP), I can still start each season with an effective honor cap of 6500 instead of 4000.

You can also start a new season with honor quests like TB and WG completed but not turned in for another ~1,000 honor.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

Gan

join:2009-04-10
Taiwan

I hadn't thought of that, good to know. Looks like we have one more week to prepare:

»www.wowhead.com/news=210655/patc···february

"Community Manager Bashiok just posted a lengthy blog previewing Patch 5.2. Of special note:

Currently, Patch 5.2 is intended to launch the last week of February. A new quest phase is being tested on February 22nd, so don't expect to see it earlier than that. This means that time is running out on upgrading items."

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Carpie

It's slated for 02/26/2013 from that I've heard so there is about 1 week left.

gainsborough

@johnstonesupply.com
reply to Cows

GOOD. That's exactly what I was looking for...