Search similar:

uniqs
megalosaurus
join:2000-11-29
North Salem, NY

1 edit

megalosaurus

No change Boost- Boost Plus?

I'm posting to this thread because I'm too lazy to start a new one. I've had Boost for a few years now and my speeds have consistently been 30/5. I just upgraded to Boost Plus and a tech came from Optimum yesterday and swapped the modem for a an Arris modem. I ran a Speed Test today and the speeds were almost exactly 30/5. This is with a wired connection. I suppose it's possible that my old wrt54g can't do any better than this (I have a new router on order), but it seems improbable that it would max out exactly at 30/5. I also tried an ftp from ftp1.optonline.net and got the same speed. I can ftp among computers inside the house at 88mb/sec. Anyone have any comments? Should I give Cablevision a call?

voipguy
join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY

voipguy

Re: [OOL] Upgraded to Boost Plus, only getting 25Mbps Down - Why

If you give them a call they can tell if you are still accidentally provisioned for the old Boost service speeds.

Another way to test: Hook computer directly to modem and try the speed test. (reboot modem)
megalosaurus
join:2000-11-29
North Salem, NY

megalosaurus

After a few more tests with no improvement in results, I called Cablevision, they checked and confirmed that I was still provisioned for Boost. They changed the provisioning and rebooted the modem. Now, instead of 30/5, I'm getting 26/8. They checked and said my levels don't look very good, so they're sending a tech sometime today.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to megalosaurus

to megalosaurus
said by megalosaurus:

I'm posting to this thread because I'm too lazy to start a new one. I've had Boost for a few years now and my speeds have consistently been 30/5. I just upgraded to Boost Plus and a tech came from Optimum yesterday and swapped the modem for a an Arris modem. I ran a Speed Test today and the speeds were almost exactly 30/5. This is with a wired connection. I suppose it's possible that my old wrt54g can't do any better than this (I have a new router on order), but it seems improbable that it would max out exactly at 30/5. I also tried an ftp from ftp1.optonline.net and got the same speed. I can ftp among computers inside the house at 88mb/sec. Anyone have any comments? Should I give Cablevision a call?

You've since reported getting 30/8 , which is not possible, unless you have BoostPlus. The WRT54G maxes out between 26-28Mbps down (wired) if you run DD-WRT with no QoS traffic shaping. I am pretty sure the stock Linksys firmware gave no more than 30 Mbps either, so you ARE right in the ballpark with this.
Get a new router. E3000's came refurb'd for under $50 with shipping from Newegg - like almost a year ago.