Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BoMarty

join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO

1 edit

Higher speeds coming?

i saw a post here that stated new higher speeds are coming at Charter? What is that all about?

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

Where? I don't see one.

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL

1 edit
reply to BoMarty

Someone posted some time ago that a Charter tech slipped up and said that 300M service was coming. That was some time ago, but last week when my promo pricing ended and I dropped back down to 30M the Charter rep said the 300M service was coming, did not know when, but they were wanting to get their ducks in a row and make sure their system could take it.

Take it FWIW.

ETA: Here is the thread I believe the OP was asking about. »[HSI] Charter Tech Slips Up Take it for it's worth

Expand your moderator at work

google2

join:2004-02-04
South Beloit, IL
reply to BoMarty

Re: Higher speeds coming?

Anything's possible. Downloads will probably increase, though I don't expect uploads to increase. I think upload is where most people would like to see bandwidth advancements go.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

Knowing Charter, they MIGHT be working on upload increases just to force the rest of us with our own modems still to give them up if they want those speeds! I'm only saying that figuratively, meaning I'm not TOTALLY serious that is the reasoning.

I DO NOT plan on changing speeds until the modem I have now totally dies solely because of the retarded way Charter handled that snafu with the SB6120's a while back, which I had JUST bought like 2 days previously. Had to return that and get the Zoom I currently have.

Slight lie! I might change speeds if Charter ever comes to their senses and offers something like the 15/3 they used to have for a cheaper price. I would jump on that in a second! Even with as much downloading as I used to do, that speed was quite sufficient!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

Even assuming you had to change your package to get it, and assuming you had to get a modem though Charter, don't see what the big attachment is to your own modem if the replacement is included in the price. Sell the old one to someone that needs one in a different service area.

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

said by whoaru99:

Even assuming you had to change your package to get it, and assuming you had to get a modem though Charter, don't see what the big attachment is to your own modem if the replacement is included in the price. Sell the old one to someone that needs one in a different service area.

AFAIK, if/when you decide to drop Charter, then they expect the modem back right ?
If you own your own, you can use it with any provider that you go to, and you don't have to return it to anyone. It is your property.

Never mind the fact the price keeps going up because of the modem that is now included in the price, even if you have your own modem.

BoMarty

join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO
reply to BoMarty

"Comcast's Extreme tier will be going from 50/10 Mbps to 105/20 (Again, likely in March)"

those that are in Comcast markets with Charter, did you expect
Charter to react to competition? Like the Ultra from 100/5 to 100/20 ?

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20

I'd be more interested in seeing 30/4 bumped up to match Comcasts 50/10. I'm still not aware of anyone seeing upstream channel bonding so we may be a ways off from seeing upload speeds beyond 5 meg for any tier

anon anon

@charter.com

1 edit
reply to BoMarty

said by BoMarty:

"Comcast's Extreme tier will be going from 50/10 Mbps to 105/20 (Again, likely in March)"

those that are in Comcast markets with Charter, did you expect
Charter to react to competition? Like the Ultra from 100/5 to 100/20 ?

Competition? Where exactly do Charter and Comcast compete? 99% of people that have cable as an option have a choice of ONE cable provider.

whoaru99

reply to Zappa2000

said by Zappa2000:

AFAIK, if/when you decide to drop Charter, then they expect the modem back right ?
If you own your own, you can use it with any provider that you go to, and you don't have to return it to anyone. It is your property.

If I drop Charter I have no use for a cable modem so as far as I'd be concerned they could have it back, and I'd guess that's the same for quite a few people.

I do own my own modem because back then I didn't want to pay the lease fee, but I just don't see any sense of owning one under the current plan since it's in the price. You're paying for it whether you take it or not, so why not take it?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to whoaru99

said by whoaru99:

No big attachment to my modem, it's just the fact I DO NOT want Charter's junk and also there's the fact I had JUST had to purchase 2 modems within a matter of 2 days after Charter screwed up those SB6120's which I had JUST bought and had to return to get my current modem. Haven't recouped enough of that loss yet, plus some for all my efforts to fix/work around Charters screw up!!

But yeah, there's also the fact that if I moved into some other area that offers cable internet, I may be able to use my current modem as Charter is the only stupid outfit that doesn't allow for customer owned modems, as far as I know.
--
The Firefox alternative.

whoaru99

Ahhh...the 6120 issue. That's been almost 3 years ago. It's time to let go. Charter treated me very amicably for that screwup. But, since it's off topic of speed increases I'll stop there.

horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
reply to cork1958

Someone else in another thread mentioned a Charter rep informed them they will REINTRODUCE a 15/3 tier sometime in March.

Since I am already on that plan, I'm hoping that I can just keep the Moto SB5101U I own. Has worked flawlessly since installed.

If Charter is willing to listen to the customer and make some needed changes I will stay.

form1040

join:2010-10-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to whoaru99

said by whoaru99:

I do own my own modem because back then I didn't want to pay the lease fee, but I just don't see any sense of owning one under the current plan since it's in the price. You're paying for it whether you take it or not, so why not take it?

I think the aversion to taking their modem is that there is absolutely zero promise that the modem will remain "free" in the future.

Later on down the line, there's nothing stopping them from reinstating the lease fees once they've flushed the customer-owned modems out of the system.

anon man

@charter.com

said by form1040:

I think the aversion to taking their modem is that there is absolutely zero promise that the modem will remain "free" in the future.

Later on down the line, there's nothing stopping them from reinstating the lease fees once they've flushed the customer-owned modems out of the system.

Then they'll have to let customers have their own modems again. It's simple. Customers can currently use their own modems on the system so the system doesn't NEED to have Charter only modems. So Charter doesn't get the choice of forcing a modem on a customer and charging a fee and denying that customer the right to use his own modem especially if that modem is the same one Charter would give them.

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Charter is the kind of company that would simply say it's our network and do as they darn well please!!

Seems they've been kind of doing that a lot lately.
--
The Firefox alternative.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to horseathalt7

said by horseathalt7:

Someone else in another thread mentioned a Charter rep informed them they will REINTRODUCE a 15/3 tier sometime in March.

When I was on chat with an agent, discussing my options and pricing results last week, he actually gave me the option of switching from my current 100mbps to not only the 30mbps tier but he also mentioned a 15mbps tier as well. I opted for the 30mbps tier for now.