how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

smhod

join:2013-02-13
Green Bay, WI

Magic Jack long distance

I purchased either $20 or $40 of long distance with Magic Jack last July. I went to use it and the account has a 0 balance. When I was overseas and tried to use it, there help lines would not work. I used their online support and found out that after 6 months the money expires. They claimed it was on their TOS document which is a long document full of fine print. Bottom line is they provided no service and stole the money. I can see why their stock price has suffered with a policy of theft. They can argue it is the TOS but who reads such a long document. If they wanted you to know about the policy it would be stated before you confirm the payment to them. I am not happy with them and will go back to Skype.
Scott

lugnut

@communications.com

Skype has EXACTLY the same policy with purchased phone credit.

Use it once every 6 months or lose it.

The only improvement Skype has over MJ on this is the fact that they actually send you a warning email to use your credit before they confiscate it. If MJ gave a damn about their users they could at least send a courtesy warning email. It would cost them a big fat nothing.

Anyway, why buy so much international credit if you don't plan to use it for a half a year?

Caveat emptor...

smhod

join:2013-02-13
Green Bay, WI

Skype has a little different policy. They will put your money as inactive. Why I don't know but it can be activated again. Yes the warnings are nice from Skype but there was nothing from MJ. I was planning to call Dubai a lot at about half what I usually pay so I bought a fair amount of credit not realizing it would disappear. I wasn't worried about it but when I went overseas recently it was no longer there for me to use. The only reason for that policy is to steal in my opinion.
Thanks,
Scott

lugnut

@communications.com

I had about $10 inactive with skype for 6 months about 4 or 5 years ago.

POOF! It was GONE. Not "inactive." I haven't given them any money since.

Perhaps now that M$ owns it they've changed their policy, but I haven't been too happy with some of the other changes they've made as well. Like trying to get you to buy skype premium to be able to share desktops in a video call now.

Nor the stupid advertising.