how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OLDYELLR

join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON

[Help Me] DIR-615 setup

I tried to set up my old DIR-615 router at a different place, my son's store, with no success. It seems they had never even completed the cable registration, just used the computer for surfing, so first I had to log into the ISP and create a username and password, because I remember the setup would ask for those. However, I could not complete the setup. It seems the router needed to be reset to accept a new admin password, which I did.

So starting again with the CD, I got through to the finish, but at some point it said I didn't have an Internet connection. Sure enough, the computer could not find the server. Okay, at one point during the setup it asked whether this was DSL, cable, or don't know. Clearly there was coax connected to the modem, so I chose "cable". It also never asked for for a username and password. Why not? It seems that router would need that to access the Internet, or is that only for DSL?

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

If it's a CABLE ISP, there should be a modem and it thats registered correctly, it doesn't need any PW or log in. If it's DSL, usually they have a User Name and PW for the PPPoE account thats either handled on the DSL MODEM/ROUTER of if the modem is bridged, can be handled on the 615. I recommend that you 1st contact the ISP and find out what you have and have them help you set up the Internet connection. They should also be able to help you with any PPPoE information on the 615 router if you choose to bridge the DSL Modem if thats what you have.

OLDYELLR

Woodstock, ON

Yes, contacting the ISP sounds like a good idea. I didn't note the model number of the modem, but it's a Cisco with 4 LAN ports and a USB port with the debit machine on the second LAN port.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to OLDYELLR

Ya if you can get Model info on the Modem. Just be sure that you should either bridge the modem or use it as you main host router and then you could turn the 615 into an AP. Having 2 routers on the same line will introduce problems and be problematic.

Double NAT

OLDYELLR

Woodstock, ON

Okay, the cable modem I was trying to set up with the DIR-615 is a Cisco DPC3825. When I Google it, I find out that this is not just a modem, but also a wireless router (although I saw no antennas on it). That means I don't even need the DIR-615. Would that be right? I'm downloading the manual for it now and researching any problems. Feel free to jump in if you have any hints.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to OLDYELLR

Ya if it's got a built in router, the 615 isn't needed. Can use the 615 as a wired AP though.