Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

flat tire (a head scratcher)

I checked all 4 tires on Saturday and all were good. (35 - 36 PSI). The previous check was a couple weeks earlier, and I believe they were around 36 - 37 at that time. Fast forward to Tuesday 2 PM when I noticed that the front passenger tire was very low -- 12 psi. Pumped it up 39 and went home. Next morning it was at 30.5, so pumped it up to 35 and went to work. Checking it at least twice daily ever since, and it appears to be stable now.

That's a studded snow tire with its own wheel off from craigslist, and it's on its 2nd season with me, so it's definitely not new and will be replaced (wheel too) in the not too distant future after my next offroading trip, but I would still like to know and understand what could've been happening.

Initially, I thought I got nailed, but I'm not so sure now.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

bad seal on bead

Remount the tire?

May depend on where the bad seal is on bead when parked. Mine seemed to randomly lose air or not also. I swear the local place had a bad batch of goo they use to mount tires, 2 cars had same issue.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
reply to aurgathor

Re: flat tire (a head scratcher)

Valve stem did not seat properly. Checking it created the leak. Adding air the second time fixed it.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to aurgathor

Do you put the valve stem cap on tight?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to aurgathor

Easy. There is a leak.

Anyone who works on tires should be able to find it.

Diagnosis via the internet is lololol.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
reply to aurgathor

I vote valve stem.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to aurgathor

It's very obvious that there was a leak, but I'm not sure if there's still one. In any case, I'll be checking pressures at least once a day.

After reading the replies, I'm thinking maybe a grain of dirt could've gotten into the valve stem and caused the leak. Later it got dislodged, and that's why it appears to be fine now.

If it still leaks, I can use my bath tub for diagnosis.

As for preventing this in the future, since I need to get some new tires, I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket TPMS. Anyone had an experience with an aftermarket system such as this: »www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic···02DYH586
--
Wacky Races 2012!

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to aurgathor

Sounds like a rim leak to me, depending on what part of the tire is hitting the ground it may leak or not, sometimes it can take days to get low, sometimes it is over-night, the only way to fix it is to have the tire reseated.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to aurgathor

I have a tire on my Jeep that will do something like that. If it sits longer than a week or so, it will slowly go flat. But if you drive it every day, it will hold the air.

I think the bead has a leak, or maybe an imperfection from mounting... I did mount these tires myself using tire spoons. Used dishwashing liquid and water to lube the bead before mounting.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

Easy. There is a leak.

Anyone who works on tires should be able to find it.

Agree, and the OP can use a $4 buck kiddie pool to find it, just fill with enough water to submerge half or all of the tire after removed from vehicle and place the tire in the water, rotate it around slowly until the bubble trail is found.

Every shop I worked at had at least a half moon tire dunker for finding tire leaks. However it is more than $4 bucks.

»www.pacetiresupplies.com/shop/de···?id=1435

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Spray bottle with soapy water can be easier to use.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

said by Bob4:

Spray bottle with soapy water can be easier to use.

It can be for some, but for others it can be confusing...
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to JustBurnt

said by JustBurnt :

Sounds like a rim leak to me, depending on what part of the tire is hitting the ground it may leak or not, sometimes it can take days to get low, sometimes it is over-night, the only way to fix it is to have the tire reseated.

I'd expect a rim leak to be more or less constant.

In any case it is a generic, cheap snow tire wheel that will probably have to be discarded (or repainted) once the tire is taken off, due to rust.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to aurgathor

Our tires had slow leaks on the mini van. After being looked at by a repair shop, it was determined that the rim lip had deteriorated, and was allowing air to leak out. The rims were the aluminum alloy type. In GA, they were fine, but it seems that up in Ohio, they didn't react well with salt. We have since replaced the rims with steel one, and the tires stay inflated.

Now my truck has started developing similar leaks as the old van wheels. Add to the salt, potholes, and it's a recipe for all sorts of problems.

I hate the heat of GA, but I will admit, the roads down there were gentler on a vehicle.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

shdesigns