Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

Coyote Warning Issued For Downtown Toronto!

Several people have been attacked and others stalked/chased near the Don Valley Parkway and Carlton st, also at parks just off Leslie St. A huge coyote as big as a wolf has been spotted at the Warden on-ramp to the 401. He is said to have a nest there because it's the 6th time he's been reported, people describe him as "humongus".

In another coyote cave discovered at Bayview ave near Bloor st, several pet collars were found (and bones), indicating that this coyote had snatched several pets travelling in the trail near the "brick works" compound.

»www.torontosun.com/2013/ ··· -toronto

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
Are they 'ugly'?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Police shot one the other day, it was even filmed by a news crew as to maximize misplaced public conjecture/opinion. CityTV has a video of the shooting if you are interested.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/t ··· hot.html

EDIT: The average Torontoid wouldn't know what a wolf looks like, let alone how big they are.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
I'm interested in seeing how big these ones really are. The coyotes around here are not large and don't stalk people.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
One can't fail but think that if only the bleeding hearts inhabiting Toronto weren't so clueless about nature maybe they'd figure out that hunting (and hunters) have an essential role to play to maintain the fragile equilibrium between animal and human populations and that forcing all the hunters out of the region through useless, misdirected laws and regulations can only lead to more and more such events.

As wild populations get culled less and less around urban centers they creep ever closer to the clueless.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to MaynardKrebs
Is the warning due to extreme outbreak ?

Coyote ugly is nothing new for downtown or GTA for that matter.
I can show you old battle scars to prove it.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
reply to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

One can't fail but think that if only the bleeding hearts inhabiting Toronto weren't so clueless about nature maybe they'd figure out that hunting (and hunters) have an essential role to play to maintain the fragile equilibrium between animal and human populations and that forcing all the hunters out of the region through useless, misdirected laws and regulations can only lead to more and more such events.

As wild populations get culled less and less around urban centers they creep ever closer to the clueless.

Except that in places where there are lots of guns and hunters, they have the exact same issue:

»abclocal.go.com/ktrk/sto ··· =8768089

»www.houstonchronicle.com ··· 3323.php

»www.nbcdfw.com/news/loca ··· 194.html

IamGimli

Canada

1 recommendation

said by ruddypict:

Except that in places where there are lots of guns and hunters, they have the exact same issue:

»abclocal.go.com/ktrk/sto ··· =8768089

»www.houstonchronicle.com ··· 3323.php

»www.nbcdfw.com/news/loca ··· 194.html

And there the resurgence of coyotes is also due to stupid city dwellers who move out of the core and make it illegal to hunt in areas formerly occupied by ranchers who would cull the yote populations.

»www.ranchmagazine.com/in ··· xas.html

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini
I used to live in the country. Live in the city now. These tree hugging idiots have no clue what they are talking about. Coyote's are nothing more than a pain in the arse, nuisance animal, that can do some serious damage to stock. Ask any farmer!!

That being said, in a city environment, I can see some twit backing one into a corner and the animal turning to defend itself. Then some stupid councillor will want to ban all coyotes. Mind you, I have watched a stupid city dweller try and place his kid on the back of a black bear in northern Ontario. City folk should not be allowed north of Orillia without a mental health check.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Xstar_Lumini
We have a lot of those on the east end of Kitchener, KWHS just tells people to leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. No attacks on human, although a shit-zoo was mauled sometime last year.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS

1 edit
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

I'm interested in seeing how big these ones really are. The coyotes around here are not large and don't stalk people.

They are HUGE in Nova Scotia and they are known to stalk people...

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· ord.html

»www.ctvnews.ca/latest-co ··· 1.500741

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· ied.html

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· ard.html

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· ing.html

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

Wow... I starting to get worried... You're starting to sound like me... LOL

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to J E F F
no wonder there is coyote there. you have some open country down that way. with the river valley and so on.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
said by koira:

no wonder there is coyote there. you have some open country down that way. with the river valley and so on.

It's in Stanley Park though, not a lot of country. Somehow, though, the animals make it in...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
Same could be said about Humans. Coyotes are just trying to survive just like we are and humans need to learn we can not go killing anything and everything that is a nuisance to us. Human growth is taking away predators hunting grounds and habitats more and more and what are these predators supposed to do ? We are hitting a tipping point whether its Polar Bears, wolves or Coyotes we need a smarter solution to save these animals and allow the freedom needed to be natures creatures.

IamGimli

Canada

1 edit
Coyotes aren't predator, they're pest. Just like rats, raccoons and cats, they have only a marginal role in controling other species population because they feed on whatever is easiest to find, not on any specific prey.

Wolves, on the other hand, are predators. So are polar bears. They also don't need to be culled like coyotes and there's no problem with overproliferation of wolves or polar bears.

capdjq
Oh Did I Offend You
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Its a jungle out there.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Xstar_Lumini
We have a bounty ($20 a pelt) on coyotes in NS which resulted in 3,000 of these vermin being terminated last year....

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 290.html

ruddypict

reply to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

And there the resurgence of coyotes is also due to stupid city dwellers who move out of the core and make it illegal to hunt in areas formerly occupied by ranchers who would cull the yote populations.

»www.ranchmagazine.com/in ··· xas.html

Still not seeing how this has anything to do with "city dwellers." Yes its a problem if you are shooting right next to someone's home/tresspassing, but that applies to rural houses just as much as urban ones.

The only laws restricting coyotes in Texas that I could find, were things like not shooting at them from public roads, getting landowner permission, and well, you need a permit if you hunt them from a helicopter with a semi automatic. Yes that's right, rednecks with money can hunt in style.

So again, a place with extremely open hunting laws and very lax gun laws, has the same problem. Which is why I don't think this has anything to do with gun laws at all, sorry to rob you of your soap box.

I think the real reason is simple. They're between a rock (human habitation) and a hard place (wolf territory). Its why we're seeing them more and more. Its also why we're starting to see more wolf/coyote hybrids. And human habitation means all of it, cities as well as ranches and farms.

IamGimli

Canada
said by ruddypict:

Still not seeing how this has anything to do with "city dwellers." Yes its a problem if you are shooting right next to someone's home/tresspassing, but that applies to rural houses just as much as urban ones.

The only laws restricting coyotes in Texas that I could find, were things like not shooting at them from public roads, getting landowner permission, and well, you need a permit if you hunt them from a helicopter with a semi automatic. Yes that's right, rednecks with money can hunt in style.

So again, a place with extremely open hunting laws and very lax gun laws, has the same problem. Which is why I don't think this has anything to do with gun laws at all, sorry to rob you of your soap box.

A: I never said anything about gun laws. I said idiots make it illegal to hunt these pest.
B: When the idiot city dwellers move out in ranch areas and refuse to give hunters permission to hunt those pests, what do you think that makes the hunt if not illegal?

Pest don't care about property lines, trespassing or any such human concept. The fact of the matter is that those morons who do not understand the REQUIREMENT to cull those pest populations and actively prevent it are the number 1 cause of the propagation of those pests.

ruddypict

said by IamGimli:

A: I never said anything about gun laws. I said idiots make it illegal to hunt these pest.
B: When the idiot city dwellers move out in ranch areas and refuse to give hunters permission to hunt those pests, what do you think that makes the hunt if not illegal?

And Texas has pretty wide-open hunting laws and they have the SAME PROBLEM. In this case city dweller is also a non-sequitur. You can be refused permission to hunt on anyone's land. Farmers and ranchers can do this too.

said by IamGimli:

Pest don't care about property lines, trespassing or any such human concept. The fact of the matter is that those morons who do not understand the REQUIREMENT to cull those pest populations and actively prevent it are the number 1 cause of the propagation of those pests.

I live in a rural area. We allow people to cull them around here. We are still seeing them more and more. And they tend to be hybrids, who are even less afraid of people. This lends credence to my theory that we're pushing them out, and wolves are just pushing them right back in.

IamGimli

Canada
said by ruddypict:

And Texas has pretty wide-open hunting laws and they have the SAME PROBLEM.

And, as I said, the SAME PROBLEM has the SAME CAUSE. Maybe you'll want to try reading my last two posts again, or just learn to read.

said by ruddypict:

In this case city dweller is also a non-sequitur. You can be refused permission to hunt on anyone's land. Farmers and ranchers can do this too.

Yes they can, but they don't. Because farmers and ranchers understand that coyotes are pests and that their livelyhood depends on exterminating them. Stupid city-dwellers that move next door don't.

Farmers and ranchers actually PAY hunters to come hunt the vermin off their property, just like horse pasture owners pay hunters to hunt prairie dogs off their property.

said by ruddypict:

I live in a rural area. We allow people to cull them around here. We are still seeing them more and more. And they tend to be hybrids, who are even less afraid of people. This lends credence to my theory that we're pushing them out, and wolves are just pushing them right back in.

If you see more of them they're obviously not getting culled. That's the exact opposite definition of a cull. Culling is not about pushing anything anywhere, it's about removing altogether.

And the very reason your "cull" isn't working is because most of the hunters have been chased out of your region by the cityots.

ruddypict

Its amazing, you can't get through one message without calling someone names. Get that blood pressure looked after fella.

IamGimli

Canada
Whom did I call what name? If you feel that my description of cityots concerns you that's not my problem as I certainly did not call you that.

Get back to me when you have an actual argument.

ruddypict

said by IamGimli:

Whom did I call what name? If you feel that my description of cityots concerns you that's not my problem as I certainly did not call you that.

Get back to me when you have an actual argument.

Get back to me when you can speak like a big grown up.