Search similar:

uniqs
no_coin
join:2002-10-17
Tyngsboro, MA

1 edit

no_coin

Lost all local HD QAM channels - northeast [RESOLVED]

In the Boston area, we LOST ALL local HD channels except for one (ch 7-1). Ever since we have had FIOS TV, it was possible to connect a QAM-capable TV and view all local channels in HD. Now all locals are in SD in the upper ch 63- range.

This is not nice Verizon - another way to gouge subscribers with another STB rental.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

Re: Lost all local HD QAM channels - northeast

Haven't heard that Verizon was starting to scramble channels. Have you tried to re-learn channels? May be a PSIP problem.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to no_coin

to no_coin
said by no_coin:

This is not nice Verizon - another way to gouge subscribers with another STB rental.

Verizon definately will not encrypt local channels as they can just disable them via the Ont (unlike Cable companies which are starting to encrypt their locals). I would rescan the channels as crqauth advised.
mets18
join:2008-10-15
Cranford, NJ

mets18

said by bohratom:

Verizon definately will not encrypt local channels as they can just disable them via the Ont (unlike Cable companies which are starting to encrypt their locals). I would rescan the channels as crqauth advised.

I agree they have no reason to do so but I would stop short of saying definitely. I would be a good way to pick up some more revenue through box rentals.
no_coin
Tyngsboro, MA

no_coin

Yes, we tried relearning the channels several times, yesterday and today. Takes about 20 minutes with the same results. Only one HD channel in it usual place. My wife called tech support this morning and they were kind enough to reset our ONT, even though I tried that already. Beyond that, the tech would not volunteer any other solutions.
no_coin

no_coin

One more note. When I select the HD channel manually, it shows "digital channel is encrypted". So HD channels 4-1, 5-1... that use to be in the clear, now appear to be encrypted.
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to bohratom

to bohratom
I have the same issue. I re-scanned and I'm still only getting NBC on 7.1. When I go to ABC, which normally comes in on 5.1, I get a black screen with no sound. Same with CBS (4.1), Fox 25.1 and PBS (2.1).

VZ definitely did something to block these channels.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to no_coin

Premium Member

to no_coin
Just a matter of time ... this is expected

»www.theverge.com/2012/10 ··· n-access

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
said by DGGSLF:

Im still gonna lean that it was done by mistake when they were doing some type of other upgrade. Hopefully next few days you see them all in clear-qam again.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to no_coin

to no_coin
Time to get some cable cards.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to no_coin

to no_coin
I assumed something had happened because of the blizzard. We were away before it started, and when we returned, I thought my TV had forgotten its settings because the power had been out. But after a re-scan, only 7.1 works. I had 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 25.1 as presets and while the presets remain, only 7.1 has a picture.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to knarf829

to knarf829
I have CableCARDS on two TVs and three 7100 STBs plus a multi room 7232 DVR.

The TV in my office is just using QAM to get local news and sporting events while I work. I hope Verizon resolves this soon or at least state publicly what their intention is, regarding encrypting broadcast channels.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to no_coin

to no_coin
Has anyone put in a trouble report?
Twitter, chat, Verizon Direct, etc?
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to no_coin

Premium Member

to no_coin
said by no_coin:

In the Boston area, we LOST ALL local HD channels except for one (ch 7-1). Ever since we have had FIOS TV, it was possible to connect a QAM-capable TV and view all local channels in HD. Now all locals are in SD in the upper ch 63- range.

On Long Island (VHO5) nothing has changed. All the same clear-QAM channels are still unencrypted including CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, UPN, PBS, and PIX (all in both SD and HD). This was verified using a non-CC HD HomeRun.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to crgauth

Premium Member

to crgauth
said by crgauth:

Has anyone put in a trouble report?
Twitter, chat, Verizon Direct, etc?

There is! I entered a query to Verizon Direct.

walthamdude
@verizon.net

walthamdude to no_coin

Anon

to no_coin
im in boston area and have no issue with hd on clear qam. a lot of the hd are in the upper 60's and low 70's range on the qam tuner.
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45 to no_coin

to no_coin
Still have clear QAM in DC metro area - have stations from Maryland, DC and Virginia.

Motortree
@verizon.net

Motortree to crgauth

Anon

to crgauth
I suspect that it was a PSIP problem as I have all channels today and PSIP is accurate.
no_coin
Tyngsboro, MA

no_coin

As described by amarryat, the service in our neighborhood went out for about an hour on the Tuesday after the storm. After that, no more HD in the clear. I'll try posting at Verizon Direct.

"coincidences happen to maximize confusion"
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to bohratom

Premium Member

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by DGGSLF:

Im still gonna lean that it was done by mistake when they were doing some type of other upgrade. Hopefully next few days you see them all in clear-qam again.

I agree with you on this. For all those who think this was Verizon's approach to encrypting locals... read the article that guppy_fish linked. It states that the FCC is requiring that cable companies who go this route must provide a way to access those locals for 2 years for free. Since Verizon hasn't done that... and since no one else seems to be having issues with clear QAM channels... this sounds like a snafu to me.

To the OP, are you JUST trying to go to the local channel 'number'? Meaning are you just trying to tune in, say, 4-1? Because it could be that their PSIP mappings are all screwed up. If that's the case, then you'll still be able to get to your locals, but you'll have to go to the actual frequency to tune them in.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I'm also thinking some major changes behind the scenes are going on right now that involve realigning QAM-to-channel mappings (how channels are combined by QAM). Like JPL said, maybe someone messed up and a broadcast channel was incorrectly mapped or not mapped a clear-QAM channel.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to walthamdude

Premium Member

to walthamdude
said by walthamdude :

im in boston area

Beantown also, It seems to be restored as of this AM, but it definitely was not working yesterday.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 edit

guppy_fish to no_coin

Premium Member

to no_coin
Thank You NYCDave, you have made may happy

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

No changes to clear QAM.
no_coin
Tyngsboro, MA

1 edit

no_coin

Just rescanned and all local (QAM in the clear) HD channels are back! 4-1, 5-1, 7-1...

Thank you Verizon for fixing this, and everyone else here for confirming that I was not the only one.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

But I was told there would be a conspiracy. Where's my conspiracy?
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to no_coin

to no_coin
Same here. Re-scanned and all my clear QAM channels are back.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

And here too.

Thanks to the poster who submitted the bug report and/or any Verizon techs who follow these threads.