Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23

[WIN7] New Computer on the way

My new computer is on the way. It will come with Win 7 with an option to upgrade to Win 8.
For now I want to stay with Win 7. I want to lock down this OS like I have on my XP and Vista machines.
Any tips and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

Nothing to offer but I just built 2 Windows 7 computers.

One with 8G of memory and one with 16G

I feel spoiled rotten.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

BIGbadjohn
This bad boy stole one of my birds.-
Premium
join:2003-03-05
Ireland
reply to Rebrider

I changed recently also and still have a deep affection for my XP machine. But then we've been together for about 12 years!
Good luck with your new computer.

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

said by jadinolf:

Nothing to offer but I just built 2 Windows 7 computers.

One with 8G of memory and one with 16G

I feel spoiled rotten.

This one has:
3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz
16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
2TB SATA Hard Drive 7200 RPM + 32GB SSD SRT enhancement
Talk about spoiled rotten. My old one was bought in 2004 and was the "latest and greatest"
It is like Christmas again.
I would really appreciate any tips anyone can give.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Rebrider

I would re-think that decision not to immediately go to WIN8. I can see a business holding back, but if you load ClassShell or something similar, you can have the experience of Windows 7 with Windows 8. There are many improvements in Windows 8 and the only reason I can see for a home user to avoid it would be to avoid costly software and hardware upgrades. If you are sure all the drivers are available for your hardware and all your software is compatible, it isn't any big deal to work around the negatives, with the benefits of a good number of positives.

That said, I would create an account with Administrative privileges (user name "dog" is a fun one) and put a password on that account. You can enable the administrator account but that isn't as safe. Make your account and anyone else standard users. Anytime you install anything or do something major to the system, UAC will ask you the password for Dog or whatever you have created. Don't give the password away.

You didn't mention if you got WIN7 Pro or one of the Home versions. There may be some differences with regard to having a group policy editor or not. Further locking down is best handled with the editor and it gets really complicated and potentially dangerous. If you want to go that far, I'll let someone else handle it.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Rebrider

I just changed also.. am loving my Win 7.. it is the Pro version.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

reply to Rebrider

First 2 places I'd look at:

ht tp://tweaks.com/windows-7/

ht tp://www.blackviper.com/2009/10/01/black-vipers-windows-7-super-tweaks/#eight
ht tp://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium

Thanks, I had forgotten about blackviper