uniqs

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Setting up a lab environment

So I have the following server which is running Hyper-V 2012 and I am using System Center to manage it.

4 CPU Quad Core AMD Opterons (older/slower models)
24 GB ECC DDR2 Memory
There are also two other servers attached to this one that act as storage servers which are very basic low end boxes and are running SAS drives.

I am looking into doing the running:

3-4 VM's of Windows XP running
3-4 VM's of Windows Vista running
4-5 VM's of Windows 7 running
4-5 VM's of Windows 8 running

Each of the VM's are going to be setup on their own subnet with static IP's assigned to each VM. My question is, what is the best way for RDP? I'd really hate to create a speadsheet on sharepoint with each of the IP's and what each VM is going to be used for.

I heard there is some type of RDP "Manager" of sorts, but was told that it might require all the systems to be on a domain and if so I'd need to throw in a Windows Server into the mix.

Suggestions? These won't be under heavy use so I'm assigning 512-1024 MB Ram to each VM and 2 CPU Cores to each. Thanks in advance.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave

Premium Member

Personally... I like to use Logmein for managing networks now. Heck it is even free and you don't need to be on a specific LAN, VLAN etc. You can have many instances running at the same time and you can reach them from everywhere. You can also name them anyway you like.

citizensin
The Deacon of the Bipartisan Party
Premium Member
join:2001-06-19
Fayette City, PA

citizensin to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
I've used this product for quite some time when managing multiple RDP sessions.

»remotedesktopmanager.com/

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
Just use the RDP snap in.

I use it sometimes and you can make a list of RDP connections and name them.