how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

philhas5

@comcast.net

New TM722G or TM822G?

Hello,

Which of the above telephony modems are Comcast supported in Marietta, GA? Will the 822 work or do I need the 722? Also, do I have to purchase it from Best Buy or can I get one anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

I can say any thing about the TM822g only the TM722g. You can only buy them at Best Buy that has a Comcast connection in them.
Do not buy a TM722G or TM822G from any place else as Comcast probably will provision them.
--
Caddy

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to philhas5

There are folks who have purchased the TM 822G from Amazon.com and had success getting them provisioned, but even Comcast support will give you varying answers on that question.

I would not recommend buying the TM 722G unless you get a killer price for a new unit.

I am not deriding the TM 722G, I have that model, and it works fine...however...

The cost on the 722G makes it a poor choice for self-ownership as it will take about 2 years to make up the differential from renting. By the time you reach that point, you will have a pretty old model eMTA modem, ready to be replaced anyway.

If you are going to spend that kind of money, you want a more recent model in order to run it long enough to realize a savings by going that route.
--
Deeds, not words

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to philhas5

said by philhas5 :

Hello,

Which of the above telephony modems are Comcast supported in Marietta, GA? Will the 822 work or do I need the 722? Also, do I have to purchase it from Best Buy or can I get one anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

Don't even consider buying a 722G, especially for the price. That modem is almost 3 years old and will need replacing before you even get it fully paid off. I got a leased one and aren't happy with it due to various circumstances.

If you're going to buy an EMTA, go for the 822G. It's current tech and will be future proof depending on how fast you want to go right off the bat.

Another thing, forget ebay, Craig's list or Amazon. Any modem, especially EMTAs bought from these places are hit or miss to get activated. There are some who got lucky and others who just bought big, expensive paperweights.

According to what I know, only select Best Buy stores sell EMTAs that you can own and Comcast will activate with no problem.

Here is a list of the Best Buy's: »www.comcast.com/digitalvoicemodem

Hope that helps you. Be sure to come back and tell us how you made out.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to philhas5

The 822 supports 8 channels down and 4 up

The 722 supports 4 channels down and 4 up

822 is more future proof
--
- Bill

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

According to what I know, only select Best Buy stores sell EMTAs that you can own and Comcast will activate with no problem.

FWIW, I've been seeing some posts lately at other forums which indicate that this BestBuy only deal seems to be changing. Not certain if that list is even being updated anymore.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by EG:

said by Chris 313:

FWIW, I've been seeing some posts lately at other forums which indicate that this BestBuy only deal seems to be changing. Not certain if that list is even being updated anymore.

Really? That would be cool. I'd like to be able to get a bought EMTA from Amazon and just be able to hook it up and go, without all the redtape users who just buy, even from reputable sources like Amazon, currently face.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Chris 313:

said by EG:

said by Chris 313:

Really? That would be cool. I'd like to be able to get a bought EMTA from Amazon and just be able to hook it up and go, without all the redtape users who just buy, even from reputable sources like Amazon, currently face.

You misunderstand. That ability to buy your own eMTA is going away, not getting easier to do.

Do NOT buy an eMTA from anyplace other than a Best Buy with a Comcast center in the store. If there is not one in your area, then it cannot be done in your area.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to philhas5

They closed the Comcast center at the Holyoke Best Buy but according to the list at the link mentioned in the thread, you can get them in the eastern part of Massachusetts. After being given junky modems by Comcast, I refuse to rent their modems.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to owlyn

said by owlyn:

You misunderstand. That ability to buy your own eMTA is going away, not getting easier to do.

Do NOT buy an eMTA from anyplace other than a Best Buy with a Comcast center in the store. If there is not one in your area, then it cannot be done in your area.

Maybe, but I was led to believe that the Best Buy deal they had going was going away with Comcast working on something better, possibly with Amazon, given this: »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ Why not the same with approved EMTA models?

And I know well that the offer is not available here. The BB store never had a Comcast section to begin with. I doubted whether it would ever come, either. Then I read the bits about the Comcast/BB deal ending.

I got my new deal info, straight from the mouth of a CC engineer here: »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

Who would know better?

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

They closed the Comcast center at the Holyoke Best Buy but according to the list at the link mentioned in the thread, you can get them in the eastern part of Massachusetts. After being given junky modems by Comcast, I refuse to rent their modems.

so instead you have 4-5 modems sitting around your house that you spent hundred of dollars on?
--
I'm better than you!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by gar187er:

said by IowaCowboy:

so instead you have 4-5 modems sitting around your house that you spent hundred of dollars on?

The modems I've owned over the years are a Toshiba PCX 1100U, a Linksys WCG 200 (D 1.1 version), a Motorola 5120, a Motorola SBG 900, and for D3 a Motorola SBG 6120 and for voice/data an Arris TM722G.

Modems do become obsolete just like cell phones do. I am contemplating buying the new Motorola SBG 6141 that they are now selling at Best Buy.

The ones currently in use are the SBG6120 (data) and the Arris TM722 (voice).

It would be kind of nice if Comcast would waive the $7 rental charge on voice modems if they are being used for voice only and the customer owns their own data modem. Time Warner and Mediacom operate on this model.

--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by IowaCowboy:

said by gar187er:

said by IowaCowboy:

The modems I've owned over the years are a Toshiba PCX 1100U, a Linksys WCG 200 (D 1.1 version), a Motorola 5120, a Motorola SBG 900, and for D3 a Motorola SBG 6120 and for voice/data an Arris TM722G.

Modems do become obsolete just like cell phones do. I am contemplating buying the new Motorola SBG 6141 that they are now selling at Best Buy.

The ones currently in use are the SBG6120 (data) and the Arris TM722 (voice).

It would be kind of nice if Comcast would waive the $7 rental charge on voice modems if they are being used for voice only and the customer owns their own data modem. Time Warner and Mediacom operate on this model.

For ref., you do mean SB6120 & SB6141. Those are not "G" (Gateway) versions.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to owlyn

said by owlyn:

Sorry for not being more clear. That is not at all what I meant. It seems to be the opposite.

»www.brandsmartusa.com/ProductVie···d=149686

emtadunno

@comcast.net

Yup, even Arris' site has Best Buy and Brand Smart. »arrisi.com/consumer/

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

BrandSmart has been in on the deal for some time, but we never mention it. Doesn't matter, though. Comcast has been removing the ability to buy these modems. Regardless, it doesn't pay to buy a 722G now. The payback period is 28 months. By then, the modem will be obsolete, and you'll need whatever the latest technology is.

But, whatever. I get the feeling someone just wants to buy one rather than lease.

micro

join:2013-03-25
East Peoria, IL

I bought an 822g off ebay and had it provisioned however had to agree to decline e911 services. Don't try and call the 1-800 number because their customer support is clueless and often they tell you wrong information like only the 722g will work. Furthermore, you have to buy it from best buy etc., no phone service if you buy your own emta...on and on. I have spent countless hours on the phone arguing with them about customer support and their lack of training. I think they do this to make sure you continue to rent. So if you want this modem/ model you can get it however you have to provision it yourself and you have to decline the e911 services...if you have any questions just e-mail me...

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

All this confusion and conjecture could be put to rest if comcast would state their actual policy on their website!

Me personally, I would happily purchase another 722 from an authorized Best Buy even today if I could only find another. I am currently leasing an 822 and only have 4x2 channel bonding anyway.

I am about to pull the trigger on an 822 on amazon and cross my fingers. I have been assured by two different CSRs in the support department, and one CSR in the activation department that it will be no problem to provision it.

The long version:

I owned my own emta, which was purchased at an authorized Best Buy. I had some internet issues which were resolved by replacing it with a leased unit. The leased unit from Comcast was an older Docsis 2 device [The Docsis 2 device was later replaced again with a Docsis 3]. Since my problems went away I thought my emta was bad. I tried to exchange it at Best Buy, but could not, as they don't have any more. There isn't even a place on the shelves for them anymore. Checking with customer service, they told me no store in the DISCTRICT has anymore. They also said it been deleted out of there system and they will NOT be getting anymore.

So...now either I'm stuck in a lease, or I roll the dice. Again, I have been assured by two different CSRs, and it is noted in my account notes they are to activate my customer owned emta [provided its on their approved devices list].

I'll update you once I find out one way or another. I am about to order it right now.

-Alan

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

said by FirebirdTN:

Me personally, I would happily purchase another 722 from an authorized Best Buy even today if I could only find another. I am currently leasing an 822 and only have 4x2 channel bonding anyway.

I am sure that Best Buy, or anyone else who had them would be glad to get someone to buy an out-dated eMTA. It is already a 4 year old model. Not meaning to offend, but it is tough enough to stay near to date on computer/networking equipment. Buying a 4 year old product will almost guarantee that you will not recoup your expense versus renting...not even mentioning that you will have no opportunity to replace it for free if it craps out after a year.

After all, you already "rolled the dice" previously and got burned with a bad eMTA, and no return. Didn't save any money on that one.

Besides which, while you are getting only 4 bonded channels down now...used to be that way here a year ago...but we have 8 now, and sooner than later so will you...but not if you are running a TM722G.

I'm not saying that the TM722G is a bad eMTA, just a bad "own your own" solution at this point in time.
--
Deeds, not words

FirebirdTN

Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

I didn't get burned by my inital purchase. I wasn't able to *exchange* it but I was able to RETURN it.

As far as outdated tech, recouping rental fee's etc, I don't upgrade that often. All my equipment I have now is new within the last year. Prior to that, I had the same computer, dsl modem, router, switch, etc for 10 years.

Besides, even if its is an old model, it is Docsis 3.0, and I don't see them forcing anyone to upgrade off of 3.0 equipment for a long time to come.

-Alan

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by FirebirdTN:

Besides, even if its is an old model, it is Docsis 3.0, and I don't see them forcing anyone to upgrade off of 3.0 equipment for a long time to come.

Yes but you are not getting the benefit of having as many bonded channels as you currently could..

FirebirdTN

Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

I'm renting an 822 now and I only get 4 bonded channels....

-EDIT- I think the point of my reply got missed. Again, this is just *MY* opinion:

If I had the choice between and OLDER model from an AUTHORIZED retailer and a NEWER model from an Unauthorized one, I'd take the authorized one.

But, the boat I'm in now, I don't have a choice. Its either Unauthorized or lease.

-Alan

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by FirebirdTN:

I'm renting an 822 now and I only get 4 bonded channels....

-EDIT- I think the point of my reply got missed. Again, this is just *MY* opinion:

If I had the choice between and OLDER model from an AUTHORIZED retailer and a NEWER model from an Unauthorized one, I'd take the authorized one.

But, the boat I'm in now, I don't have a choice. Its either Unauthorized or lease.

-Alan

Sorry, I get your point. I too am not one to risk buying something that might end up not being usable, I prefer the "authorized" route as well.
--
Deeds, not words

FirebirdTN

Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

I know I said I would give an update once my 822 from Amazon got here, but I was in Best Buy today to get something else, and what do you know...they are back in stock (the 722s).

I know its an older device, not worth it, etc...but I wanted the piece of mind of an authorized retailer, so I canceled my amazon order, and picked up the 722 from Best Buy. Besides, I had the store credit to burn from when I returned my other 722 and nothing else expensive that I needed to buy.

Provisioning went painless, and I'm up on the new one. So I'm happy.

-Alan

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7

said by FirebirdTN:

I know I said I would give an update once my 822 from Amazon got here, but I was in Best Buy today to get something else, and what do you know...they are back in stock (the 722s).

I know its an older device, not worth it, etc...but I wanted the piece of mind of an authorized retailer, so I canceled my amazon order, and picked up the 722 from Best Buy. Besides, I had the store credit to burn from when I returned my other 722 and nothing else expensive that I needed to buy.

Provisioning went painless, and I'm up on the new one. So I'm happy.

-Alan

From what IowaCowboy See Profile has posted in another thread »[CDV] They're back , the ARRIS TM722 eMTA (in Xfinity packaging) is also back in stock at the Best Buy at the Holyoke Mall in MA.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

Wonder why they would bring back an older tech 4x4 only eMTA. $$$ ? Must have a lot left that they are trying to get rid of.