uniqs

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to guppy_fish

MVM

to guppy_fish

Re: Common Router Security Flaw - You Want to Check This!

said by guppy_fish:

Also that page doesn't work right, it reports my router at IP 10.1.1.1 is responding to UPNP ... lol ( is a non routeable IP and can't be accessed from the WAN )
The details say I'm on a linux server that is at 192.168.0.1 , nothing in my network uses that IP

Did you click this link, which is an example of exposed UPnP vulnerability result? »www.grc.com/su/UPnP-Exposed.htm

or did you click this link, then click Services/ShieldsUP!, then run the UPnP test? »www.grc.com/intro.htm

The first link displays example results exactly like you reported. Use the second link. Your Actiontec primary router will not show the vulnerability. DD-WRT on my Asus doesn't either.

Also, some broadband system routers using PPPoE present non-routable WAN addresses because they are aggregated further upstream (if I'm using the correct terminology). Does FiOS MDU ONTs using VDSL do this? Maybe.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by birdfeedr:

said by guppy_fish:

Also that page doesn't work right, it reports my router at IP 10.1.1.1 is responding to UPNP ... lol ( is a non routeable IP and can't be accessed from the WAN )
The details say I'm on a linux server that is at 192.168.0.1 , nothing in my network uses that IP

Did you click this link, which is an example of exposed UPnP vulnerability result? »www.grc.com/su/UPnP-Exposed.htm

or did you click this link, then click Services/ShieldsUP!, then run the UPnP test? »www.grc.com/intro.htm

mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to birdfeedr

Premium Member

to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

Does FiOS MDU ONTs using VDSL do this? Maybe.

Nope. I'm on one... My router has its own public WAN address. Also, I don't use PPPoE... My modem provides an ethernet connection that the router plugs into. The router just uses DHCP to get its IP address, no PPPoE.